Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Smoking vs. Vaping (Read 4492 times)
DawnieLittleBitz
New Poster

Smoking vs. Vaping
Jan 29th, 2017 at 3:56pm

Having trouble quitting the cigarettes.    Sad  So, now I'm vaping with nicotine.   Any input on how this affects MM? I don't want to go on Chantix, so this is my only alternative.

IP Logged

corynski
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

lancing, tn
Re: Smoking vs. Vaping
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 2:21am

I believe I counted 8 times I quit smoking cigarettes before I did in fact really quit, finally, really, really quit.  Twice I quit for 3 years yet still went back to them.  But I learned a couple of things along the way.......
I learned that while others could smoke and not have physical symptoms, I couldn't.  I had headaches, sinus complications, sore throats, teeth and chest aches.  I've experienced stomach problems and especially those troublesome bleeding hemorrhoids.  From top to bottom I suffered, yet never did I find a cigarette I liked, that 'tasted' goodand I tried them all.  Short ones, long ones..... mentholated and perfumed ones, I tried them all and never found a one that 'tasted' good, 'like a cigarette should'.
I learned that since I quit I could smoke one cigarette anytime and never have a memory of it, nor have any desire for another.  But if I smoked two, then I have a memory, which will soon pop into mind, again and again, suggesting that I have another.  Another thing I learned is that if I would conduct what I call a 'smoke out", that is if I start smoking, one right after another, and don't stop, just continue one after another until I physically choked up, and could not smoke another, and then say "I quit", and mean it, all that nicotine and smoke in my body could carry me through the first couple of days without getting any cravings.  And that did make a difference to me, it really worked, and that's been countless years ago, maybe 32 years, since 1985 or so.  But I was fortunate, as I didn't start until I was 30 years old, and I've made it to 79 so far.......  My second wife started smoking at 13 and died of lung cancer at 65.  A good friend, who started early, just informed me that at 64 he has been told by his doctor that he now has emphysema.
Nothing seems quite so addictive as cigarettes, especially if you were addicted as I was, while in the womb.  But you can quit, and you will quit if you want to..... It's worth it!
Incidentally, I keep a copy of the obituary of R.J. Reynolds, 3rd, Tobacco Heir, close at hand, so allow me to inform you of what happened to the folks who are 'pushing' tobacco on you.  Richard J. died of emphysema and congestive heart failure at age 60..... His father, Richard J. Reynolds the 2nd, also died of emphysema, in 1964 at the age of 58.  That's right, these were the folks who were suggesting that you pay money to ensure an early dead by using their product, tobacco......  How bizarre!

IP Logged

DawnieLittleBitz
New Poster

Re: Smoking vs. Vaping
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 11:45am

Thanks for the input, my friend.  I'm truly trying to stop, but it's a habit I got quite fond of, sadly.  That is interesting that the heir to the giant tobacco company died from smoking.   And sad.  Good for you, breaking the habit.  Congrats.  I hope I can as well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge