Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Extra oxygen? (Read 5264 times)
Annica
Experienced Poster

My daughter lives with
mm

Stockholm, Sweden, europe, 317, 154
Extra oxygen?
Nov 23rd, 2003 at 1:50pm

Hi!
I have a question that has been on my mind for some time. Undecided
My daughter Louise, 7 years old had surgery one year ago and is doing fine now. She just had a follow-up with MR and her doctor says it looks so good that she wonīt have to go through angiography right now.
Before the surgery when she was having headaches, numbness and TIAs we gave her extra oxygen to breathe from a tube with 100% oxygen and it helped her some. Did any of you or your kids have that?
The only symptoms I recognize with her nowadays is that if she gets very (too) tired she gets headaches and aching legs , sometimes really bad, and when that happens the extra oxygen helps her.
Any reaction on that?
She also takes bloodthinner-injections daily but apart from that sheīs just like before the MM started.
Take care evrybody!
From Annica and a "snowy" Stockholm

IP Logged

kathy
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

northpalmbeach, USA, usa, 482, 300, FL, Florida
Re: Extra oxygen?
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2004 at 7:41pm

Hi Annica:

I see no one ever replied since you wrote this on 11/23/03.

I wish I could get a hold of 100% oxygen.  I feel I sure could use it.

I also have aching legs, headaches and ankles but I have not had surgery yet.

Mine happens at anytime, even if I am not overly tired.

I take bloodthinner pills and 81 mg aspirins not injections.

Thank you for your information.

Kathy

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2004 at 7:07am

Kathy,
       Are you going to have surgery? Annica does your daughters neourologist say she needs the injections still because my daughter was taking injections of Lovenox and it kind of got forgotten about and when we were out to Dr. Steinberg for a check up we mentioned it and he said she didn't need them anymore she took them while waiting a month to 6 weeks for surgery after having several strokes. She now takes 325 ml. tabs of ecotrin that she'll take for ever.
                              Nancy Smiley ;Grin

IP Logged

Annica
Experienced Poster

My daughter lives with
mm

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2004 at 3:25pm

Hi Kathy!

Why canīt you get a hold of extra oxygen? My daughters doctors said that Louises symtoms came from too little oxygen to the brain because of narrowed bloodflow so I asked to get a "tube" of 100% oxygen to give her when needed. Apart from the rules about "firesafety" there werent any problems, and it really helped my daugter at the time. I still keep it just in case and it makes me feel more secure if something would happen due to her disease.
I think all MMsufferers should be given an oxygentube to keep under the bed, donīt you?
I really hope your doctors will help you get better soon.
Have you asked them for extra oxygen?

Take care

Annica

Smiley

IP Logged

Annica
Experienced Poster

My daughter lives with
mm

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2004 at 3:35pm

Hi Nancy!

In Sweden the doctors know very little about MM and I think that is why they still keep my daughter on injections of bloodthinner, because it has been good for her for more than a year now and why change a "winning concept". Perhaps its also because my daughter has a caogulationdefect called APC-resistance and it adds more risk of having a stroke apart from her having Mm. So she has two reasons to risk stroke.
However she is feeling as great now as any 8 year old girl could do and for that I am very thankful. She is tired of taking her injections daily but as long as she can do it herself itīs OK. Not for one moment would she let anyone else, not even the doctor or nurse, do it now that she learned how. Stubborn little lady!

See you soon and excuse my "limping language" .

Annica Smiley

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 9:41am

That's funny you should mention the exta oxygen.We were just starting to check into Hyperbaric Oxygen treatment for stroke recovery.One problem s that the few people I've talked to sofar say there insurance won't cover it.It has proven to be helpful even in patients with "old" strokes.Has anyone ever checked into this treatment???Also Kthlee did wake up tis morning crying an said her left leg hurt.This has only just happened acouple of time recently.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

kathy
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 3:45am

Hi Nancy:

Yes I am gong to have surgery.  I will go to Miami 3/8/04 and meet with Dr. Roberto Heros and set it up.  The referral has taken so long.  Thank you for asking.

Kathy Wink

IP Logged

kathy
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 3:47am

Hi Annica:

I will have to ask about gettin the 100% oxygen.  Also find out why the insurance will not cover it like mg12061 was saying.  It must have gold in it.

Kathy Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

Đ2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge