Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best way to monitor MM (Read 3718 times)
tomg
Experienced Poster

West and wewaxsation at
wast. What I crave.

HowellNJ, USA, usa, 499, 119, NJ, New_Jersey
Best way to monitor MM
Nov 26th, 2003 at 8:12pm

Hello and Happy Thanksgiving to my MM family.  This is Tom from NJ.  Yes Like all of you, I have MM.  I suffered a major stroke in March 2002 which I have mostly recovered from.  My doctor Dr. Connoly, at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC said that I didn't need surgery because I have good colateral vessel growth and good blood flow.  A second opinion from Dr. Oglvy at Mass. General in boston gave the same opinion. If you can believe it I almost feel deprived following all of these fantastic surgery success stories.
     I'm waiting for my doctor to get back to me on what the best way to monotor this condition is.  Angiograms are the best but we can't keep doing them because of the risk and the expense.  Are any of you in this same boat. I'd appreciate any suggestions. 
     Once again have a great holiday.  Hey wouldn't it be great if we could all meet some day?
                                                     Tom G.

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Re: Best way to monitor MM
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2003 at 1:45pm

Hi Tom -

Yes, it would be great if we could all get together at a MM forum "offline" sometime! Anyway, from all that I've heard, yearly MRIs are the norm as to the way to monitor MM (once diagnosed with an angio) - only getting repeat angios if necessary.  Of course, I'm not a doctor - but that was my understanding.  It may also be different for you because you haven't had any surgeries.  Just my thoughts...

Happy Turkey Day!

-Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

elaine
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sanford, USA, usa, 465, 285, FL, Florida
Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2003 at 9:24pm

Hi Tom,

This is the first time I have heard of two different Drs. saying no surgery for MM,  I guess that is Good News.  I was DXed in 1998 after having dozens of strokes since my first Major stroke (nov. 1997 my left side was paralized for almost two weeks--just woke up paralized @ age 47)  I have had both sides done, the last one in Aug. 2000,  I just had an angiogram done last month (Nov. 2003)  and have narrowed conciderably in both my frontal lobes. My Dr. said I don't need surgery (again)  just yet but he will be montering me closley.
     Just thought I'd let you know--since everyone is different..     God--Bless--You     and Good-Luck                 Elaine

Elaine
Elaine  
IP Logged

joyce-50
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

fortworth, USA, TX, Texas
Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2003 at 10:45pm

Elaine, my name is Joyce Stierwalt, I dont know if I read your message right you have had both sides done, and now you have more narrowing, coming back? Our foster daughter had her surgey in March 2003 in Stanford ca. the doctors told us that this was a one time surgey, they could not go back in to Ambers brain are whatever. we were told to not let her play contact sports, wear any thing tight on her head because of the surgey site. if any one has any new data I would like to know she is okay now I just dont want to see her go through that again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge