Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New study on asymptomatic adults (Read 3787 times)
jv
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

xx, Finland
New study on asymptomatic adults
Jan 15th, 2004 at 5:39am

Pls check out this new abstract on adult MM cases. As I have concluded from earlier readings, not all adult cases are progressive. This is a very good news for many I think.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=14719442&dopt=Abstract

IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Re: New study on asymptomatic adults
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2004 at 7:24am

Thanks for the link JV!  Interesting...

Asymptomatic moyamoya disease.  I wonder if that's an actual diagnoses that's different from being diagnosed with "regular" moyamoya disease?  Seems to me it would be worse waiting around for something major to happen to see if I had the "asymptomatic" or "regular" type.

I guess you just have to pay close attention to what your body is telling you?

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2004 at 1:24pm

DJ wrote on Jan 15th, 2004 at 7:24am:
Seems to me it would be worse waiting around for something major to happen to see if I had the "asymptomatic" or "regular" type.

I have to agree with you DJ. I wouldn't want to wait. I've spoken to several people here on the boards that had no mm episodes before their major stroke, as the asymptomatic type mentioned. I wouldn't want to take the chance on waiting for the angiograph to show disease progression and risk a possible stroke. I'd want the surgery and those statistics from a doctor that has studied hundreds of cases and not just ten patients, and 30% of them in that article did show progression and one needed surgery.  So I gotta say that IMO it would be worse to wait whether asymptomatic or not without more facts and studies. I've seen what this disease is capable of. The facts and studies on the surgery far out ways the risk of waiting for, as you said,"something major to happen" Smiley

IP Logged

jv
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

xx, Finland
Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2004 at 8:49pm

I completely agree with you both, but this is the type of information that was not immediately available when I first learned about MM. The world I was facing through internet and very few articles was much more desperate that time.

Obviously it is up to a neuro to conclude from the patients angiograms and recent history if a surgery is immediately necessary as often may be the case.

My burst of optimism is due to apparently different "type" of MM in adults and children. Some studies also suggest differences in the progression between racial background with indo-europeans being less progressive. Go figure.

IP Logged

doug
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

pomona, USA, CA, California
Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 5:01am

Hi everybody,

Unfortunately, they discovered my MM after my stroke. At that point surgery was NOT an option but a must. I guess you can argue that my symptoms (weakness in the right leg, right arm, double vision and numbness on the lef cheek) which were attributed to MS were all possibly mini strokes leading up to the major one.

Anyone out there been diagnosed with MS prior to MM?
If so, I'd like to hear from you. My current neurologist is trying to see if I have both, although I 've never heard of a case. I know for sure I have one of them.

In my opinion, I think the doctors want you to have MS, simply because they know how to treat it. Who ever heard of MM? I've been getting conflicting opinions from various doctors.

All I want to do is get better.

Doug

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge