Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can anyone tell me if Moyamoya is genetic? (Read 5288 times)
alice_moya
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

west hartford, USA, CT, Connecticut
Can anyone tell me if Moyamoya is genetic?
Feb 1st, 2004 at 2:16pm

Hello everyone.
I am learning about what I have.  My mother had a stroke at 63 years old.  I wonder if her condition may relate to my disease.

IP Logged

jv
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

xx, Finland
Re: Can anyone tell me if Moyamoya is genetic?
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2004 at 3:08am

The risk is higher in close relatives, which suggests it also has a genetic component. It doesn't mean it will be inherited in 100% of cases, not even close to that. It still remains a very very uncommon disease/syndrome.

jv

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2004 at 11:59am

There has been  very few cases were 2 family members have had mm one that even had three but it is very rare. Like everything in life there is always an exception. You will always find those few strange cases in a ton of normal. We all on the board say this is such a rare disease but the more new comers we have the more that statement seems strange, it just seems to be spreading like an epidemic, I know a million other diseases are way huger but it just amazes me that more and more people pop up and imagine how many cases thereare that are not on the site. It's just a little scary sometimes. My family was one of the first people on this site and oh how its grown. Haven't said it for a while thanks Deej, and how are you buddy. We miss you.  Smiley Cry

IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2004 at 11:21pm

Nancy_N. wrote on Feb 2nd, 2004 at 11:59am:
Haven't said it for a while thanks Deej, and how are you buddy. We miss you.  Smiley Cry

Smiley  Hi Nancy!  I've been doing good.  Spent most of the last year on 2nd and 3rd shifts at work.  Finally got myself back on a "normal" dayshift a couple of weeks ago and am enjoying getting back on a normal schedule.

How's Mandy doing?  Send me some pics of her when you get the chance!  That'd be awesome!

Deej

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 4:36pm

Nancy_N. wrote on Feb 2nd, 2004 at 11:59am:
it just seems to be spreading like an epidemic,

It is amazing to me a well.  Since I've been diagnosed, which was June 2003, I have heard of 3 more people with MM through friends of my parents.  That's pretty amazing for something that's really rare.  My mom thinks it's environmental.

-Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

gilberttl
Junior Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Lewisville, USA, usa, 285, 247, TX, Texas
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 6:51pm

My family also wonders if its environmental, too.  My mom works at the same  small rural school I attended. After I was diagnosed with MM, the school nurse told my mom that she knew of two middle school kids who had it.  The weird part is, this school only has about 1000  kids total-elementary through high school.  So what are the chances that 3 people from that small rural area would haveMM?  It is a farming community, and I drank well-water growing up-We wonder if farming chemicals in the water could be to blame?  Just interesting to me.  Tricia Smiley

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 9:32pm

Tricia - well, I grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia - no where near a farm, but I went to summer camp in a very rural area.  What I also found interesting is looking at the member map...the most people who are listed on the map are in the Philadelphia area.  Add that to the 3 people I know through my parents and the number is  growing.  I'm just making some random observations, but together with what you said, it's very interesting. -Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

kathy
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

northpalmbeach, USA, usa, 482, 300, FL, Florida
Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2004 at 1:17am

MY NAME IS KATHY AND MY NEUROLOGY DAVID GORDON IN MIAMI HAD TOLD ME THAT HE WAS IN MISSISSIPPI FOR A LONG TIME BEFORE HE MOVED TO MIAMI.  I AM FROM MOBILE, AL.  HE SAID HE HAD 4 CASES OF MOYA MOYA AND NOW ME.  HE WAS WONDERING JUST WHAT WAS GOING ON IN THE DEED SOUTH.
KATHY Undecided Angry Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge