Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
post-op symptoms (Read 4500 times)
Roni
Junior Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Dillon, USA, usa, 195, 162, CO, Colorado
post-op symptoms
Feb 4th, 2004 at 1:10pm

DJ and all - many thanks for this excellent resource!
Perhaps I have not looked carefully and missed info on post-op symptoms.  Otherwise fit and healthy daughter, 40, married - mother of 2, had STA by-pass 5 years ago.  Recent symptoms sent us back to Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix.  STA by-pass still working.  Dr. Spetzler did a revascularization procedure in the areas with MM (so far everything is on the left side only.  Three weeks out of surgery, daughter continues with a range of intermittent symptoms - from slight numbness and tingling on the right side, to feeling "off" for 2-3 hours at a rime, to feeling "things" shifting in her head and a need to hold on to keep from whirling.  Any thoughts?
Thanks
Roni

IP Logged

Tommyb
New Poster

i am Timothys father.
 He is the one with MoyaMoya

Galena, USA, usa, 342, 118, IL, Illinois
Re: post-op symptoms
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 2:43pm

Roni,
      The first two symptoms that you described sound almost as if they could be TIA's.  The last two that you described sounds like vertigo.  Vertigo can be caused by blood flow problems within the brain, ear problems, a problem within the brain itself, or as a side effect from vertain medications.  What did her neuro feel the cause of these problems are???

IP Logged

Roni
Junior Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 3:09pm

Hi Tommyb,  Tx for your prompt reply and interest.  Original problem was blocked carotid artery - hence, STA by-pass - which is still working.  Recent similar symptoms led to MM dx and vascularization procedure.  Yes, all symptoms similar, or actual, TIAs - all caused by lack of blood flow.  Question now is - what is normal range of symptoms 3 weeks following vascularization procedure?  Resident says symptoms for up to several months possible.  Daughter also lives in Colorado mountains at 9,000 ft.  Any thoughts on altitude and healing? 
Tx
Roni

IP Logged

Rena
Senior Poster

Hi, My son Tyler was diagnosed
with MM in 2003

, Colorado, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 9:58pm

We also live in CO, at 6,000 ft. elevation. I don't think it affected Tyler's healing any. However he did spend a month in OH right after his surgery so I don't know if that made a difference????????????

I've learned to never underestimate the impossible. -Blake Sheldon-&&There are no failures, just options tried. -Thomas Edison-&&
http://www.facebook.com/wldrtst?v=wall&story_fbid= oneofakindco  
IP Logged

jv
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

xx, Finland
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 2:29am

I have read from medical journals, and it makes perfect sense, that the bypass reduce the blood flow into the moyamoya vessels (which have grown to compensate the reduced blood flow due to narrowing) and this may cause transient symptoms.

jv

IP Logged

Roni
Junior Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 9:53am

Thanks to DJ, Tommyb, Rena and JV for responding to my posts.  Does anyone know of an article, or book, that discusses not only the surgical procedures used to treat MM, but also discusses what falls into a "normal range" of symptoms/side effects AFTER the surgical procedures?  Continued good healing to all.
Please feel free to email direct to  eolsen6400@aol.com.
Thanks,
Roni

IP Logged

Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Houston, USA, usa, 291, 279, TX, Texas
Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2004 at 4:00pm

I had my surgeries 14 years ago, and I have always had occasional tingling in different parts of my body. I will be honest with you, I didn't know that was odd until I started getting on this web-site. I am still alive, though. I haen't had any strokes, so I always just thought the surgerieg "helped" but didn't cure... I am not sure, but if you find out, let me know please. Also, I live in Texas and when I traveled to CO I had a lot of headaches and numbnes/tingling. I am convinced that elevation does make a difference...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge