Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Birth Control and MM (Read 20589 times)
Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Houston, USA, usa, 291, 279, TX, Texas
Birth Control and MM
Feb 12th, 2004 at 3:49pm

My doc thinks there is a negative outcome from taking birth control pills and having MM. Have any of you ever been asked to stop taking it? Are any of you taking it? I have been having a lot of headaches and he is taking me off to see if the headaches go away. Of course, I don't knid... DOC'S ORDERS... We'll see if it makes a difference.

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Re: Birth Control and MM
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2004 at 10:29am

As far as birth control goes the docs told my daughter who was on the pill at the time she would never be able to take it anymore so I would research before using them or continuing them. As far as others I don't know. Good Luck!  Nancy Smiley ;Grin

IP Logged

JZM
New Poster

I have moya moya since
1993-surgery by Steinberg

Leander, USA, usa, 256, 270, TX, Texas
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2004 at 10:59am

I was told by every doctor I have gone to that absolutely DO NOT take birth control pills.  They may cause stroking.  I used them for years until my diagnosis and all said to quit immediately.  I would recommend using another form of b.c.  Ask your gyno. and neurologist.  They will probably concur.

I did not like that answer either, but I followed that instruction.

zee720  
IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2004 at 3:50pm

I was told to stop taking birth control pills also.  Birth control pills cause strokes.  They say if there's a history of stroke in the family you shouldn't take them at all.   My gyno will never prescribe them again (I didn't like that answer either). - Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

LisaH
Senior Poster

Be thankful in all circumstances

ArlingtonHts, USA, usa, 358, 120, IL, Illinois
Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2004 at 5:17pm

Hi Sara,

I too was immediately yanked off of birth control pills with the diagnosis of MM.  Unfortunately though I wasn't taking it for it's intended purpose but to help treat an adrenal disease I have also.  With MM you have to worry about a lot of medicines.  For example, over-the-counter cold/sinus pills are a no-no.  Also, regarding headaches, we MM people should not take Zomig, Imitrex and several other well known headache meds.   However, my neurologist put me on Amitriptyline and Verapamil for the headaches which helped some.  I also take Butalbital as needed. 

Good luck with the headaches!
Lisa

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2004 at 5:30pm

Lisa,
        I didn't know over the counter sinus medicine was a no-no Mandy has been taking them for a week now, her neouro. doc said she could but I think that was from an interacting with her other meds kind of  thing now that I think of it. He's not real familiar with MM. Wow I'm glad I read this.
                                         Nancy  Smiley Angry

IP Logged

LisaH
Senior Poster

Re: MM & certain meds
Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2004 at 11:53am

Hiya Nancy!

There is a certain ingredient in most cold/sinus medicines (the name of which escapes me right now but I'll check on it) that raises your blood pressure and constricts the blood vessels.  There is one name brand that doesn't have that ingredient in it (again the name escapes me) but that brand really didn't help me at all so I take nothing at all.  It says right on the package of the "good" brand that says something about it being safe for people with blood pressure problems.  It seems that the ingredient that MM people should avoid is the one that really makes cold/sinus medicines effective so it's a catch-22.  I'll get back to you later about the "bad" ingredient and also the one brand I've found without that ingredient.  Let me clarify that my neurosurgeon is the one to tell me about all this and it seems to make sense but maybe other doctors have a differing opinion on this?  You know how most everything "the experts" say about MM is hit and miss for the most part!   DJ and others, what, if anything, does Dr. Steinberg about meds to avoid?  I'm very curious.

Happy Valentine's Day everybody!
Lisa

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2004 at 6:25pm

Lisa - Thanks for the information on the OTC cold/sinus meds.  I'm meeting with Dr. Scott for my 8 week post-op appointment on March 3rd and that was going to be one of my questions.  Do you know anything else we should avoid??  I'm a coffee drinker and I've been careful about consuming too much...I know caffeine  opens up blood vessels (that's why it helps with a headace) but I don't if it's bad to drink.  I know it's kind of a silly thing...but I was just curious!

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2004 at 10:00am

Hi Lisa,
           Thanks for the info. on the sinus meds. I was gonna ask you who told you but you answered that, I was thinking the same thing the Docs are new to the MM so they don't always know the most about what to and what not to take and do. Crazy question for anyone out there in the not so great to belong to MM club, has anyone been told about salt I know for heart problems to avoid because of narrowings but the brain? Smiley Undecided Smiley  Let me know know if anyones heard anything. Thanks guys.
                                  NANCY

IP Logged

LisaH
Senior Poster

Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2004 at 9:02pm

OTC cold/sinus meds----I found the info about what to avoid in a sinus/cold medicine.  It is Pseudoephedrine which, according to the FDA, acts as a vaso-constrictor and contra-indications include hypertension (meaning it raises your blood pressure) and vascular disease.  The only OTC cold/sinus med I could find without pseudoephedrine is Coricidin but it doesn't help me at all.  Does anybody else know of any other OTC meds to try for my sinuses without the Pseudoephedrine?  Maybe something herbal?

Coffee--- I've never been told to avoid caffeine but then again I don't drink coffee or even soda.  I drink strong tea though when I get migraines.  I really hope you get a chance to ask Dr. Scott about this and other things to avoid with MM.  We need a Moya Moya guidebook!

Salt--- again I personally wasn't warned about salt but common sense would tell me to maybe watch it.  Smiley  You're right that they tell people with heart problems to watch their salt intake so why not MM people?  I believe it would have to do with keeping blood pressure low. 

Yes, so I worry about and avoid all the so-called bad stuff and yet I still commit the BIGGEST SIN in the MM world-- I continue to smoke! Smiley  I don't know what's wrong with me (or you either Deej!).

Lisa

IP Logged

Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2004 at 10:24am

Hello All: It is Sara again. I was going to ask about MM and smoking but I just chose not to because I knew I would get yelled at. I too, am a smoker. My doctor hasn't brought it up much. He has asked me before and I told him I do. Of course, I know that no one SHOULD smoke, and I am sure it is worse for MM people. BUT, sometimes it just sucks to have to give EVERYTHING UP. I am wondering how firm all of the smokers in here's docs are about quiting????

Do any of you have more TIA's or migraine when or if you smoke more?? Just Curious??

Also, about Coricidin.... I would be careful using it... There has been sort of an epidemic in young kids (high school age?) over dosing on it because it makes you halusinate (sp?). It is an over the counter abused drug... One of my best friends little borther was doing it, and it is not pretty.

So, just be sure to use it properly, PLEASE!!

Sara   ;Grin

IP Logged

Rena
Senior Poster

Hi, My son Tyler was diagnosed
with MM in 2003

, Colorado, USA
Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2004 at 12:33am

About the Caffine question. Caffine actually restricts the arteries. I was told before Tyler's surgeries to keep him away from caffine. However, the meds they put him on for his migrains has Caffine,  Undecided they said a migrain is caused by a rush of blood and the caffine restrict the arteries just enough to slow the blood down. Of course I am confused, but I keep Tyler away from Caffine except for his meds, which he seldom needs now.  Smiley Did I just confuse everyone more, or am I the only one confused??????

I've learned to never underestimate the impossible. -Blake Sheldon-&&There are no failures, just options tried. -Thomas Edison-&&
http://www.facebook.com/wldrtst?v=wall&story_fbid= oneofakindco  
IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Reply #12 - Feb 18th, 2004 at 8:13am

Thanks, Rena.  I don't know what to think anymore!  I'm definitly going to run all this by Dr. Scott when I go again in March (I'm actually going to print the whole conversation).  There's actually caffeine in Tylenol and meds that are used for headaches (Excedrine).  -Shari

IP Logged

LisaH
Senior Poster

Reply #13 - Feb 18th, 2004 at 12:15pm

The caffeine- headache relationship is very confusing I agree.  I too didn't understand why they always tell you that caffeine is a headache trigger yet to get rid of the headache you take meds with caffeine. Smiley  I  had this explained to me a couple of years ago and this is how I understand it.   Your walking around just fine and the blood vessels in your head are normal (not constricted or dialated).  Then you meet up with a "trigger" one of which is caffeine.  The caffeine can constrict your blood vessels but then later the blood vessels expand again, almost like spasms.  When your blood vessels dialate, this is when the pain of a headache starts.  To get rid of the pain you want to get the blood vessels to get back to normal size or constrict.  So the caffeine in many of the headaches meds help to constrict the blood vessels again.  Make any sense?   You can find information like this at the National Headache Association.  On a side note, yes cigarette smoking is listed as another trigger for headaches (among hundreds of other things!).

Which brings me back to caffeine and MM.  Regardless of a person getting headaches or not, caffeine constricts blood vessels which MM people want to avoid right?  So, I would think (but I'm not doctor obviously!) that we should try to avoid/limit caffeine unless you need it for a headache to constrict the expanded blood vessels.  Who knows Smiley

Lisa

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Reply #14 - Feb 18th, 2004 at 1:24pm

Wow!!! The past couple posts make sense but are confusing, what a complicated disease, I am also waiting for the mm handbook to be released. Is that another D.J. project (lol). I wish there was one and if these things are so detrimental why are we all not told this by the surgeons, at least the basic things. Amber a 11 yr. old was told by Mandy's same surgeon not to wear headbands, Mandy was never told but naturally she won't wear one, yet Mandy was told to never wear sunglasses but  Amber was not,  same idea because of the pressure to the temporal artery.  There needs to be a better awarness of important things not to do or eat, like when you go in for any surgery you get a paper of what to do afterwards or what to look for but I guess thats what happens with a rare and not well known about disease. Angry Smiley Undecided
                                       -Nancy

IP Logged

siri
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Dillon, USA, CO, Colorado
Reply #15 - Feb 18th, 2004 at 4:31pm

Hello--my name is Siri and I was just diagnosed with moyamoya last month at Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix.  I think you have heard about me from my Mom, Roni, who has been on this board already.  I'm afraid I've never been on a board before, so I hope I'm doing this right!  In response to today's topic of birth control pills, I took them for a few years in my 20's and wonder to this day if they had something to do with this.  I say avoid them for sure!  As for caffeine, my doctor never mentioned any negative effects from that--and they give it to you everyday in the hospital!

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Reply #16 - Feb 18th, 2004 at 8:55pm

Nancy_N. wrote on Feb 18th, 2004 at 1:24pm:
Mandy was told to never wear sunglasses

That's very odd!  I wear glasses all the time (glasses - not contacts) and I had them on the day after surgery (I had to be able to see!!)!!  Dr. Scott never said anything about not wearing them. Smiley

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Reply #17 - Feb 19th, 2004 at 7:11am

Now that I think of it Amber wears glasses but she didn't after surgery I'm sure she does by now a year later. Hum makes you wonder.
                                             NANCY Smiley

IP Logged

Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Reply #18 - Feb 19th, 2004 at 10:09am

WOW! I have NEVER known that we MM people shouldn't wear glasses or headbands. But, it has ALWAYS given me really bad headaches. Even baseball hats give me headaches sometimes. Anyways, I am really glad I have all of you to point these things out to me! Thanks!     Cheesy

IP Logged

gilberttl
Junior Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Lewisville, USA, usa, 285, 247, TX, Texas
Reply #19 - Feb 19th, 2004 at 9:12pm

I was told to be careful when wearing my glasses after my surgery because if they were too tight, it might put pressure on the bypass area.  I am wearing them again now though with no problems.  Tricia

IP Logged

LisaH
Senior Poster

Reply #20 - Feb 20th, 2004 at 12:08am

Hi all!  What a great big discussion we got going here!

Sara- Welcome to the smokers' closet that I have been hiding in!  Smiley  My docs say that it is the worst thing in the world for MM and you betcha they give me the lecture every single time I see a doc.  I don't know if smoking makes my TIA's and headaches worse or more frequent but I wouldn't be surprised.  I plan on quitting sometime this year (probably the next time I'm hospitalized for something) but it's soooo hard!  I also heard the addiction thing with Coricidin on 20/20.  So sad and scary that things like this are the new in thing huh? 

Glasses etc.-  I was told not to wear tight fitting glasses, tight headbands, tight hats or things like masks that have elastic.

Siri- Welcome!  I too thought that my past history of taking birth control pills might have something to do with my MM but now not so sure.  "They" say that it "could" be from BC or trauma or Sickle Cell anemia or Down's or genetics or ......... on and on.   From what I am seeing from the people on this board is that it could be all of these things or none of these things that give one MM.  For example, I know the men on this board did not take BC (hopefully?  Smiley)  and many of those don't smoke either.  The children didn't take BC or smoke.  What I'm saying is that as much as I look I can't find a complete connection between any 2 people with MM.  Now I just think that getting MM was in my genetic make-up and that by taking BC and smoking didn't help that any!  Did this make any sense?  LOL  Again, welcome to the MM club and I look forward to talking with you.

Lisa

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Reply #21 - Feb 20th, 2004 at 8:21am

My doc said that taking birth control pills probably was NOT the cause of getting MM.  However, because there is the strong association with BC and stroke we have all been told to stop taking it.  I was also tested for diabates (my brother is diabetic) because there is a strong association with diabetes and stroke as well.  As far as the not wearing tight fitting glasses, I don't know - but perhaps  the fact that a didn't have the bypass type surgery (I had the EDAS) that is the differerence in the advice about wearing glasses.  I don't know, but I do know that will be one of my questions when I go back to Dr. Scott. - Shari

IP Logged

yoki
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

houston, USA, usa, 293, 288, TX, Texas
Reply #22 - Feb 23rd, 2004 at 2:15pm

I currently have an IUD because was the recommenc by my doctor. No problems so far, 6 months. I think i makes your period last longer, but get a GYN that knows about MM. My DR. is Dr Peterson his number is 713-442-1000. He is great!!

IP Logged

jenna
New Poster

If life keeps kicking
you in the head geta
helmet

eugene, USA, usa, 38, 85, OR, Oregon
Reply #23 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 9:44am

Hello my name is jenna and I had my EDAS surgery this last july, before my surgery my doctors took me off birth control right away even before I was diagnosed with MM and once I was diagnosed they said I had to stay off of them due to the stroke risks however I did just recently talk to my gyn who understands my situation and he reccomended a new half pill that is only progesterin and I ran that by Dr Delashaw at OHSU last week and he seemed to think that would be a safe alternative so for any of you that are interested you should ask your doctors.  Oh and the smoking topic my doctors also told me to completly quit smoking and caffiene a total no stimulant diet and that stopped my TIA's even before my surgery so there has to be something to it. Roll Eyes

jenna42o  
IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Reply #24 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 1:40pm

Hi Jenna - Thanks for the info.  Could you give me the name of the pill you inquired about?  I'm interested in running that by my docs too.  Thanks! - Shari

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge