Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
?? for female MoyaMoyaers (Read 8906 times)
LisaH
Senior Poster

Be thankful in all circumstances

ArlingtonHts, USA, usa, 358, 120, IL, Illinois
?? for female MoyaMoyaers
Feb 20th, 2004 at 4:06pm

For those females with Moya Moya, both child and adult, what, if anything, has your doctor(s) said about having children?  I don't mean in the genetic sense but health-wise for you.  I was under the impression that as long as the blood flow to the brain is good (corrected via surgery) and maybe a C-section for delivery,  that it is okay.  Now I am hearing otherwise.  This is troubling me and I would appreciate hearing other doctors opinions on this subject.  If your doctor has never brought up this topic could you please do me a favor by asking the next time you speak to him/her?  I would really appreciate any feedback on this.    P. S.  Shari do you think you could ask Dr. Scott about this (along with all the other stuff!)  when you see him in March? 

Lisa
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2004 at 4:11pm by LisaH »  

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Re: ?? for female MoyaMoyaers
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2004 at 4:48pm

Lisa - Absolutely - it's already on my list.  My mom already asked this question of my Neurologist.  We were told that most likely I would be considered high risk and would be monitered more closely - plus you can almost guarantee a c-section.  Pregnancy and labor put a lot of stress on your body.  But yes, I will run this by Dr. Scott when I visit.

-Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

yoki
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

houston, USA, usa, 293, 288, TX, Texas
Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2004 at 2:08pm

It depends . i was diagnosed after having a miscarriage at 5 months with twins. I was told not to have children again, but thank God I have 2 children already. Check it out . i think it has something to do with was trigger the MM. Wink

IP Logged

jenna
New Poster

If life keeps kicking
you in the head geta
helmet

eugene, USA, usa, 38, 85, OR, Oregon
Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 9:51am

Hello my name is jenna and I had my surgery this last july when I was diagnosed with this disease and I asked my doctors if I had children if they would have it too but they couldn't answer that due to the lack of knowledge this disease but they did mention that during pregnancy I would definitely have to be monitored by a physician that understood my condition.  this isn't anything you haven't already heard though.  Roll Eyes

jenna42o  
IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #4 - Feb 29th, 2004 at 11:16am

My daughter has no children yet and the Doctors told her there is no reason she couldn't have children she has had the 2 mm surgeries. I'm sure closer monitoring would be in order thats kind of common sense. But they also said my other child does not have to be tested nor does it mean other children you have will necessarily have it. They're are people who have had children already with mm. I think now I'm not positive there were people on this site saying so before the new format, going back a ways when the support group was new.  Smiley Roll Eyes
                                  Nancy

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2004 at 3:45pm

LisaH wrote on Feb 20th, 2004 at 4:06pm:
   P. S.  Shari do you think you could ask Dr. Scott about this (along with all the other stuff!)  when you see him in March?  

Lisa - my appointment with Dr. Scott was canceled today - he had an emergency surgery.  I'm am not rescheduled until 4/15 but I will still ask him when I get there!

-Shari

IP Logged

LisaH
Senior Poster

Be thankful in all circumstances

ArlingtonHts, USA, usa, 358, 120, IL, Illinois
Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2004 at 11:22pm

Oh that's too bad Shari.  I'm bummed for you (and myself!) as I was looking forward to your appointment and all that Dr. Scott had to say.  Well, we will just have to wait a little longer for our answers. 

Thanks for the heads up!  Smiley
Lisa

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

IP Logged

alice_moya
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

west hartford, USA, CT, Connecticut
Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2004 at 3:58pm

Hello, Lisa

I am no doc tor, but what I think is that it would depend on how long you had the disease.  My doctor recommended I not have children when I was of child bearing age.  Of course that was when the doctors thought I had MS, and when I was diagnosed with Moya Moya, it was too late.   Wish I could be more help.  Good luck.
Alice

IP Logged

carol
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Houston, usa, 273, 302
Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 8:45pm

My daughter was pregnant at the time she had her surgeries which at the time we didn't know.She went through the pregancy real well and had Kandice with no problems at all.She was high risk but just because the doctors never had any one with MM.She was numbed completely because they only wanted her to push when it was almost time.I wouldn't worry at all if she has another one.

Carol

IP Logged

freckles
Junior Poster

Moyamoya Survivor!!

Lakeland, FL
Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2004 at 3:52pm

Hey Lisa,

That was one of the first questions I asked Dr. Steinberg after my first surgery, not only that but if I could still take asprin during my pregnancy. He basically said that while doctors will have to keep an eye on me I should be able to both take asprin during my pregnency and have children safely. Hope this helped.

Freckles

WWW moyamoyagrl moyamoyagrl  
IP Logged

Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Houston, USA, usa, 291, 279, TX, Texas
Reply #10 - May 18th, 2004 at 2:24pm

Well,

I am responding to an old post here... not sure how I missed it. But, I am quite sure that us MM can have kids. I actually had one. What they did with me is monitored my blood pressure more closely. I delivered vaginally, they gave me an early epidural. And they didn't let me push, they sorta pulled her out...

Anyways, I had soooo many tests done while I was pregnant and my docs talked to a lot of other docs, and they decided it would be safe not to have a c-section, because that causes clotting (possibly).

EVERYTHING turned out great. It was a much bigger ordeal than just a "normal" lady, but, well worth it!

If any one has questions about this, feel free to contact me via e-mail.

Smiley Sara

IP Logged

Annica
Experienced Poster

My daughter lives with
mm

Stockholm, Sweden, europe, 317, 154
Reply #11 - May 18th, 2004 at 4:06pm

Hi Sara!

Being the mother of a girl that will hopefully grow up and some day in the future will want to have kids it really comforts me to hear that it was perfectly OK for you to have a baby and that it went so well. The way I understand it is was no other inconvenience for you than all the tests during pregnancy and perhaps during delivery? My natural questions are: would you go through it again without hesitating?
How old is your daughter and did they test her for mm?
Sorry about all the questions but I really want to know because this is one of my big worries for my wonderful "babys" future!
When that day comes (in 15-20 years or so) I hope that most of you will still be interested in answering all my questions ´cause there aren´t a lot of answers around where we live!!

Take care,
Annica

IP Logged

Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Reply #12 - May 18th, 2004 at 5:08pm

Hey Annica:

I would not hesitate, and am planning on trying again. My doctors are timid, just because it is harder on us MMer's bodies than others... I am on a med right now that causes birth defects, but as soon as I get of it, I will....

I had Emily when I was only 18 (she was a surprise Smiley )
She is 5 now, and has not been tested for MM but seems fine. If she starts having any problems, we will test her then.

I really don't believe this is hereditary although, I know some do. Well, let's put it this way: I HOPE it isn't Smiley

I was dx with MM when I was 8, and docs always told my mom, and me I would be able to have kids.

The bottom line is, they just have to make it as simple on the body as possible.

I know of others on this site that have kids post dx... Carol's daughter is pregnant now for the 2nd time, and I think is doing well so far.

Everyone pray for me, that I will be able to get off this med, so I can have another Smiley

I hope it works out!

Take care Annica:

Sara

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 18th, 2004 at 8:38pm

You bet Sara, always! Both you and Louise will be in my prayers. Smiley

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Reply #14 - May 19th, 2004 at 11:20am

Sara -

Thanks for the info!  It's always good to hear sucesses and experiences for people that have "been there"!  Thanks for sharing!

-Shari

IP Logged

carol
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Houston, usa, 273, 302
Reply #15 - May 25th, 2004 at 12:20am

My daughter had Kandice not quiet 9 months after she had her surgeries and is now 3 years later having another one.So far she is 4 months and everything is fine.
Carol

Carol

IP Logged

Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Reply #16 - May 25th, 2004 at 8:45am

I am sure Jen will have another beautiful baby!! Congrats again. I am thinking of her often!

Smiley Sara

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge