Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vision Problems (Read 4205 times)
STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Vision Problems
Mar 12th, 2004 at 9:01am

Hey All!

I was wondering if anyone has experienced any vision problem as a result of MM.  Years ago, before I was diagnosed with MM I used to have what was described to me as optic migraines.  Dr. Scott said they were probably related to MM and it was like having a TIA in my eye - I get blurry peripheral vision lasting about 20 mintues.  I finally went to my eye doctor last night and he confirmed what Dr. Scott said and is ordering a "field of vision" test which he gives to all stroke patients.  I was just wondering if anyone has experience this or has had this testing??

-Shari  Smiley

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Re: Vision Problems
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2004 at 9:45am

Hi Shari,

I hope you don't mind me commenting on your visual problems since I myself do not have mm, but many people that I've spoken with said the same thing to me about their peripheral vision after suffering a stroke or just mm itself.

As far as the Visual field test goes, that's a very common test at the eye doctor. It's the best way to detirmine if you have gllaucoma which runs in my family. I get one once a year. To do the test, the person sits looking inside a bowl-shaped instrument called a perimeter. While the person stares at the center of the bowl, lights flash. A computer records the location of each flash and whether the person pressed the button when the light flashed in that location.
At the end of the test, a printout shows if there are particular areas of the person's visual field where you did not see the flashes of light. These are areas of vision loss. this test can help detect certain patterns of visual loss, the amount of peripheral vision loss usually indicates the amount of optic nerve damage. So since you have had problems in the past, you'll want to keep your eye on that. No pun intended...lol

Good luck!
Mar

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2004 at 1:14pm

Hi Mar -

I have glaucoma in my family as well.  They did a preliminary field of vision test (the one you mentioned) but I'm going back to have a more detailed test - One that's covered by my major medical plan, not by my vision plan.  Thanks for you thoughts!

-Shari

IP Logged

dw1
New Poster

Pomona, USA, usa, 65, 209, CA, California
Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2004 at 3:18pm

Hi Shari,

Before my MM diagnosis, I experienced double vision for about 2-3 weeks which was attributed to MS. I had doubts about my MS diagnosois. I asked  my nuerosurgeon said he could attribute all mm symptoms to MM except the vision problems. Since then, I researched the possible effects of TIA could affect my vision. Am I correct?

Doug

IP Logged

fairbanks
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

cleveland, USA, usa, 425, 124, OH, Ohio
Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2004 at 3:57pm

Hi , im' fairbanks
I noticed a few eye problems with my moya moya, I lost my peripheral vison I noticed moya moya can effect diferent people in diferent ways. my older sister has moya moya and she has no huge problems unlike me .good luck
       fairbanks

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2004 at 1:01pm

Hi - Thought I'd give an update on my vision tests as I just came from the eye doctor.  We did a more detailed vision field test and the results did show some, minimal, nerve damage which probably was the result of my strokes.  He said it's nothing to worry about yet, but suggested I come back in 6 months to retest.  I think it is a good idea to see you eye doctor as well as keeping up with your neuro. Good luck!!

-Shari 8)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge