Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does Moyamoya run in families? (Read 4401 times)
DianeMain
Experienced Poster

My sister, PatM, has moyamoya.

San Jose, USA, usa, 23, 160, CA, California
Does Moyamoya run in families?
Mar 17th, 2004 at 11:56pm

The other day, my husband said to me, "So does this condition your sister has concern you at all about your own health?"   Smiley

I had not thought much about it.  Is there any kind of increased likelihood of me or my brothers having moyamoya because our sister does?  I saw some information about the genetic stuff, but frankly, I did not really understand it.

Anyone know?

Diane

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -- Bill Watterson (1958 - ), cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

IP Logged

Rena
Senior Poster

Hi, My son Tyler was diagnosed
with MM in 2003

, Colorado, USA
Re: Does Moyamoya run in families?
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2004 at 8:08am

Diane,
No one can say for sure about MM being genetic, however the cases I read about were from a parent with MM then their children having MM.
My son is the first on in the family to have a stroke, so I can't even say their is a history of strokes that might have been undiagnosed MM.
By my understanding then, my son has a higher chance of having children with MM, but my daughters chances are as low as the rest of the population.
Hope I didn't confuse you more.  Undecided
Anyone have more info?  Smiley
Rena

I've learned to never underestimate the impossible. -Blake Sheldon-&&There are no failures, just options tried. -Thomas Edison-&&
http://www.facebook.com/wldrtst?v=wall&story_fbid= oneofakindco  
IP Logged

Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Houston, USA, usa, 291, 279, TX, Texas
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2004 at 12:00pm

I have MM, and none of my 3 siblings have it. My daughter  is 5, and she is fine, also. I was always told that it wasn't genetic, but I have read about some cases where there are siblings with it. I think it's more from something environmental, than genetic. I will admit, I watch my daughter carefully, but so far, so good. I think cases where family members have it are interesting, but I still do not believe it is genetic. I hope I am right, I wouldn't want any of my siblings, or children to end up fighting it, too. If you have any doubts, see a neurologist, and run some tests, it may ease your mind.

Hope this helps??

Sara      Cheesy

IP Logged

sandy
New Poster

three of my children have
mm

asheboro, USA, usa, 469, 186, NC, North_Carolina
Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 2:45pm

hi my name is Sandy i have been told that i have the dominate gene for moyamoya there is a lot of test beimg done on my kids and i because all of my kids have mm i have 4 kids and 3 of them have mm the Dtr. said that they still have not pin pointed the gene

IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2004 at 2:05am

Noticed this recent change on the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke page (link is located on the links page) about moyamoya...

"Researchers suspect a genetic link because of the 9 percent incidence of the disease found in certain Japanese families. A gene for familial moyamoya disease has been located on chromosome 17q25 and further study of the gene may reveal the cause of the disorder."

Sounds promising!!

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2004 at 11:27am

DJ, thanks for that info.It sure is interesting as well as promising.I hope this starts alittle more research in that direction.I have 3 children and watch my ohter 2 closely.It has always seemed so much more than just coincidence to see families with more than one child with such a rare disease.Also who knows what is in our backgrounds this has been miss diagnosed for so long.I have a huge history of strokes,"spells" as they were referred toback then, who knows what it was , Migraines, and Circle of Willis Aneurisms.It just seems tomuch of a coincidence.In fact my daughters first stroke was on the 20 yr anniversary of my fathers death from a cirlce of Willis aneurism,and the death of his father from a stroke.Sure was "creepy" .Thanks again for allthe info you supply here.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge