Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MM diagnosis post stroke v MM without Stroke (Read 2556 times)
maka4868
New Poster

I am a survivor of Moyamoya

Kahului, USA, usa, 412, 359, HI, Hawaii
MM diagnosis post stroke v MM without Stroke
Apr 7th, 2004 at 8:05pm

Hi everybody,

I was just wondering if anybody knew of or where I would be able to find statistics on people that were diagnosed with Moyamoya after having a stroke and people that were diagnosed with mm without having a stroke.  I was just interested because I'm from Hawaii and all the people that were diagnosed with MM that I know of on Maui have had strokes first.  I was fortunate to be diagnosed before having a stroke.  Although I was incredibly close to having one.  Dr. Steinberg had said that I had 0.3 mLs of blood flowing to my brain and after the surgery I had about 23 mLs of blood flow.  Just wondering.  Thank you.

Melly

Aloha,&&Melly Smiley

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Re: MM diagnosis post stroke v MM without Stroke
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2004 at 10:32pm

Hi Melly,  Smiley

I don't know of anywhere there might be statistics such as those. That's the terrible part about this disease... unfortunately it's misdiagnosed most often and few family physicians even know about mm and it's consequences to be able to help their patients avoid the hidden dangers of moyamoya. That's wonderful that you were able to find out when you did. It makes my heart glad!!!  I also have to say you were lucky in other ways too...you had Dr. Steinberg. The best!!! Smiley

Stay well...  Smiley

Mar

IP Logged

Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Houston, USA, usa, 291, 279, TX, Texas
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 4:41pm

Hi Melly:

I am glad to hear you got diagnosed before stroking. I did too, and I think it makes a HUGE difference.. Obviously.  Roll Eyes

I don't know where you could find that info. We could just take a poll on this site, though? I bet Dr. Steinberg could give you an idea, just by his experience..

Good luck searching, and if you find out, let us all know!

Smiley Sara

IP Logged

alice_moya
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

west hartford, USA, CT, Connecticut
Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 4:49pm

Hello
I wish that I could help you more with this.  I was diagnosed with  MM before I had a stroke.  And this was many years after the onset of symptom.  In fact I never had a stroke period.  However, my mother did.  I wonder if they are related and hereditary?

IP Logged

janicetedd
Experienced Poster

Sister - Patty w mm

Waterford, MI
Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 7:18pm

Hi Melly,

My sister was diagnosed with mm 3 years before she had a big stroke.  She is progressing and had the surgeries about 1 year ago.   

I wonder if there is a medical doctor that would like to do a case study on mm'ers.  Maybe Dr Steinberg? 

Marlene,  I always enjoy your replies on this webiste

Janice

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge