Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Surgery Scheduled April 22nd (Read 7117 times)
jenanshanesmom
New Poster

MM survivor

Palm Springs, USA, usa, 55, 203, CA, California
Surgery Scheduled April 22nd
Apr 12th, 2004 at 12:10pm

Hey Everybody:

I met with Dr. Martin at UCLA on April 7th, and he said the surgery should be done within two weeks.  He said I had more narrowing on the right side, but the brain must be compensating.  Therefore the left side will be done first.  That side isn't compensating since I all ready had a stroke.  In 4 to 6 weeks after the first surgery they will be do the second surgery.  Yeah!

Just thought I would let you know. 

Paula

IP Logged

Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Houston, USA, usa, 291, 279, TX, Texas
Re: Surgery Scheduled April 22nd
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2004 at 1:44pm

Paula:

That's great news! I am sure everything will go wonderfully!!!  8)

I am sure everyone will be thiking of you guys. Is the 22nd the set date?

Sara

IP Logged

janicetedd
Experienced Poster

Sister - Patty w mm

Waterford, MI
Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2004 at 5:18am

Hi Paula,

Great news on the surgeries.  My sister has mm and had the surgeries after a horrible stroke.  The surgeries were a bit difficult but well worth it.  Patty had her surgeries at Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minn.   

Please keep us updated.  At Mayo Clinic they have a library and we were able to go there and use the computers.  We were able to send 'Patty Updates" from there.

We will keep you in our prayers.

Janice

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2004 at 3:00pm

Paula,
        I was just wondering why the surgeries are so far apart.
                       Nancy

IP Logged

jenanshanesmom
New Poster

MM survivor

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2004 at 9:29pm

Dr. Martin said he could do them quicker but wants the brain to recover some.   I thought the 4 to 6 weeks was pretty good since some people have waited months to have the second surgery.

I will make sure that my husband will update everyone on my progress.

Paula

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2004 at 9:39am

Hi Paula,

I see that you are scheduled for your surgery soon and want you to know that you too are in my thoughts and prayers. I have heard of Dr. martin from DJ's mm links... (Doctors experienced with moyamoya.) I'm sure everything will go well. It's so important you are getting the surgery done as soon as possible, so you can get back to raising those beautiful children and live a normal life again without the fears mm brings. We'll be there with you as well in spirit and in prayer. If your hubby needs anyone to talk to for any reason while you're there...tell him we're here for him. Smiley

God bless,
Mar

IP Logged

dw1
New Poster

Pomona, USA, usa, 65, 209, CA, California
Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 6:21pm

Hi,

I had my EDAS surgery performed by Dr. Martin last year, so if you have any questions about the surgery or Dr. Martin please feel free to email me.

IP Logged

jenanshanesmom
New Poster

MM survivor

Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 7:28pm

I would love to talk to you.  Did it go well? Were you pleased with it?  I realize that Dr. Martin is very straight forward no-nonsence type of guy.  I can deal with that.  My neurologist has no bedside manner.   You can email me at
pcameranesi@hotmail.com

Paula

IP Logged

dw1
New Poster

Pomona, USA, usa, 65, 209, CA, California
Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2004 at 11:55pm

Hi Paula,

I had both surgeries performed by Dr. Martin; the first one in Feb. and the next in June of 2003. The first was hard and excrucruciating for my family because it lasted 17 hours! The 2nd one was a bit less nerve -racking for them as it only took 10 hours. Of course, it was all the same to me as I was knocked out during the entire process.

I felt more pain coming out of the first surgery than the second. But the headaches persisted longer after the 2nd surgery than the first.

Dr. Martin is a not very forhright with information so I suggest you prepare alist of EVERYTHING you want answers to brought up to him at your next visit.

I apologize for being so short but I have to head off to to in-patient rehab at Casa Colina tonight afte just being released from Huntington after a 5 day stay. I just saw your post and had to reply. My girlfriend was writing in my name in the prior post. Please email me with any specific things you want to know and maybe I can help you find the answer to. Although, going into the operations, I was in shocked that I had something called moya moya and completely felt like I had no other choice but to trust the doctor's opinions and recommendations. The stroke completely paralyzed my right side (arm & leg). To this day, I'm still more or less wheelchair bound.

So, being the victim, I didn't have the luxury to debate over whether which was the better procedure to undergo.

Sorry, they're calling me... gotta go... but will be back in about a week or so. If you go into surgery, before I come out of rehab, hope all goes well and good luck to you and your family, especially the latter for the surgery and you for the recovery.

Doug

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2004 at 12:24pm

Good luck in rehab Doug! Smiley  keep in touch!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge