Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vinpocetine (Read 6641 times)
Cutthroat44
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Frisco, USA, CO, Colorado
Vinpocetine
Apr 15th, 2004 at 7:34pm

Hi there everyone - My wife has been diagnosed with MM and had 2 surgeries now, an STA/MCA bypass in '99 and an EDAS procedure in '04.  She is still struggling with symptoms but doing better generally. In searching the web I have uncovered a lot of research about a drug/supplement called Vinpocetine.  It allegedly has been shown to have very positive effects on cerebral bloodflow especially in stroke patients.  Has anybody had any experience taking this supplement?  Here are some links if anyone is interested in researching this further. 

http://www.lef.org/prod_hp/abstracts/vinpocetine.html 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9082841&dopt=Abstract   

http://smart-drugs.net/ias-vinpocetine.htm

The stuff sounds like it could really help, but we are reluctant to just experiment without more information.  Thanks!

IP Logged

DianeMain
Experienced Poster

My sister, PatM, has moyamoya.

San Jose, USA, usa, 23, 160, CA, California
Re: Vinpocetine
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 8:21pm

Hi Cutthroat!  (What's your real name?)

I don't know anything about the drug you mentioned, but I am curious about your wife's recent EDAS procedure.  Most people on here have had other procedures, but my sister is having her first EDAS tomorrow, and a second one in June.  I would like to know more from you, if you don't mind, about what recovery from an EDAS is like.  Where and by whom was your wife's procedure done?

Thanks,
Diane

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -- Bill Watterson (1958 - ), cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 8:13am

Cutthroat44,
                     Thats very interesting that her surgeries were 5 yrs. apart why is that?
                              Nancy Undecided

IP Logged

Cutthroat44
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 1:34pm

Hi Diane and Nancy - Siri's recovery has been sort of up and down.  She was diagnosed with an obstructed Internal carotid artery on the left side in 1999.  No MM was diagnosed at that time.  The surgery was done in Phoenix at Barrow Neurological Institute.  The surgeon was Dr. Robert Spetzler.  He is one of the world's finest neurosurgeons.  The STA/MCA bypass provided immediate blood flow to the left hemisphere with a steady reduction in TIA like symptoms over time.  We thought we were over everything until December 2004 when her symptoms came back again in a bad way.  This time Dr. Spetzler diagnosed the MM and did an EDAS (or similar procedure - not 100% sure of the name) procedure.  Basically drilled 4 bore holes and flipped the Dura matter onto the surface of the brain tissue over the ischemic areas.  Siri's progress has been mixed - generally trending better but still having a variety of right sided symptoms.  I believe the indirect procedures take 6-12 months to really show an effect due to the time needed for arterial growth.  None of the symptoms have permanent effects and seem to pass in an hour or so.  The symptoms are notably worse around her menstrual cycle which makes some sense due to blood loss.  So far the MM seems to be purely unilateral so we are keeping our finger crossed.  Hope your surgery goes well.  We will be doing our follow up with Dr. Steinberg just to get another perspective.  Dr. Spetzler's technical skill is amazing, but the follow up care has been less than we would like.  It's also due to us being in Colorado and not AZ.  John

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2004 at 1:51pm

John,
         I'm curious as to why they did a different surgery the second time.
       Nancy Undecided

IP Logged

Cutthroat44
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 4:33pm

Hi Nancy - They had already done the STA/MCA bypass in 1999, so the only option was to try an indirect procedure using the dura matter.  The bypass was still functioning but not as robust as they had hoped.  The idea was that the EDAMS procedure would supplement the bypass.  Siris' MM is only on the left side, her right side arteries appear normal.

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 1:54pm

John,
        I thought her symptoms that started in Dec. 04 were on the oposite side now it makes sense as to why a different surgery was chosen. Good Luck and keep us posted of her progress.
                                        Nancy [smiley=smile   ;Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge