Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Repairing Stroke's Side Effects (Read 5656 times)
DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Repairing Stroke's Side Effects
Apr 29th, 2004 at 3:05am

Wonderful news for those of us who have suffered permanent damage from stroke!!!!!

From: http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/health/010802_he_stroke_cells.html

Repairing Stroke's Side Effects

Life After A Stroke
Stroke survivors must often contend with debilitating after-effects. Since a stroke suddenly deprives the brain of oxygenated blood, nerve cells within the brain die. The results can include paralysis, speech problems, and memory impairment. Up until recently, physical therapy was the treatment of choice, but this method offers only limited effectiveness. Many stroke patients have simply had to live with their condition.

A New Treatment
Doctors at Stanford University Medical Center and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center have embarked on a clinical trial testing a radical new treatment for post-stroke patients. The procedure involves the transplanting of neuronal cells into the stroke-damaged portion of the patient's brain. Once there, doctors say it appears the cells either convert into new nerve cells to replace those killed off by the stroke or stimulate the brain to repair itself in other ways.

Although the precise method of effectiveness is not yet known, doctors say it is clear the procedure works. "I think it's too early to really make a definitive statement. However, we are encouraged by the fact that the patients who have received the transplant have shown significant improvement," says Gary Steinberg, MD, PhD, a neurosurgeon at Stanford University Medical Center and co-director of the study. So far, nine patients have been admitted into the study. All patients receive physical therapy, and seven patients also received the transplant. The procedure involves the injection of primitive neurons through a tiny hole in the patient's skull. Although the cells are derived from a tumor of an 18-year-old patient, there is no chance the cells can cause new tumors. The patients, who remain awake during the procedure, report little pain.

Success So Far
Doctors are extremely encouraged by the patients' recovery so far. One patient, a stroke victim in his mid-50s, reported dramatic improvement just months after receiving the treatment. "At first I had some sensory return in my fingertips. But then, about three and a half months, I started walking better. It was amazing, " says Bill Parent, who now walks with only a slightly noticeable limp. Prior to his transplant, Parent saw only minor improvement with the help of physical therapy.

The Future
The study is currently in phase II and researchers say, eventually, a third phase at several centers around the country will be necessary to determine the effectiveness of the procedure. The protocol for acceptance into the trial is extremely rigorous, as patients must have had strokes that were neither too mild nor too severe for the treatment to be effective. Dr. Steinberg says if all continues well, the nerve cell transplant procedure could be widely employed within the next few years.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2004 at 3:10am by DJ »  

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

Rena
Senior Poster

Hi, My son Tyler was diagnosed
with MM in 2003

, Colorado, USA
Re: Repairing Stroke's Side Effects
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 9:21am

WOW!

I am reading this just as I look over and see Tyler holding a paper on the wall with his left hand, so he can draw on it. A year ago, he could barely move his left arm, and definatly couldn't put it against the wall as he just was.
He has come a long way, yet there are many times he can't get his hand to do what he wants. This surgery sounds very promising. I pray it becomes common practice, because it would be great to know there is a way to recover from a stroke without it taking years.

I've learned to never underestimate the impossible. -Blake Sheldon-&&There are no failures, just options tried. -Thomas Edison-&&
http://www.facebook.com/wldrtst?v=wall&story_fbid= oneofakindco  
IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 10:01am

Thanks DJ! It sounds very promising.I have just begun to consider the possibility that Kahtleen may never have functional movement of her right arm.It has been two yrs now and she struggles to lift it to her nose. and her hand is fisted.This is so hard because Kathleen has so many struggles already because of the Down Syndrome. This really cheered me up knowing that somewhere down the road it may be possible to still help her get back what she has lost. THANKS DJ!
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 11:40am

WOW Deej, I love hearing news like that!! Smiley Can be the start of a miracle for stroke victims and their families... And who's involved in it of course, "our brilliant doctor himself, Dr. Steinberg!" I know this man is helping the world and making progress with moyamoya. God bless him!!!

Mar

IP Logged

dw1
New Poster

Pomona, USA, usa, 65, 209, CA, California
Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 9:28am

hi dj,

thanks for the posting. it sounds very promising. i am goig to send my mri's and angios to dr. steinberg for review. basically, i want to know 2 things:

1. is it possible to have both moya moya and ms. iam getting a spinal tap today. i've never directly spoken to dr. steinberg so should i send him everything? i know he must be busy with all his commitments.

2. if i qualify for the study. to this day, i can't walk but for a few steps before my legs give out.

again, thanks for the post. it's given all of us a sense of hope.

dw1

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 2:34pm

D.J,
     How encouraging I have tears running down my face reading this you know how much I love and how awesome I already think Dr. Steinberg is. I am so worried Mandy will never use her arm and hand again and her leg hyperextends when she walks giving her a pretty significant limp, I so would love Mandy to be a part of this study eventually, if she qualified. I am so thrilled I can barely type. You know I'll be on the board again soon. Gotta go have to call Mark in work before I bust.
                          Nancy ;Grin ;Grin ;Grin ;Grin

IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Reply #6 - May 1st, 2004 at 4:36am

Damnit Nancy, don't make me cry too!  I'm supposed to be the stong one here!???

Get ahold of them and see if they are still doing the study and if Mandy qualifies!

-Me

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

janicetedd
Experienced Poster

Sister - Patty w mm

Waterford, MI
Reply #7 - May 1st, 2004 at 7:17am

Hi DJ, and everyone.

I think this is so exciting and hopeful.  My sister Patty maybe could benefit -- my other sister Toni (RN) sent the following.

To: ims@medcenter.stanford.edu
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 7:52 PM
Subject: My sister had a stroke

Dear Gary Steinberg, MD, PhD,

My beloved 43 year old sister was diagnosed with MoyaMoya and suffered a stroke in 2001.  Recently, I read about your clinical trial testing a radical new treatment for post-stroke patients involving transplanting of neuronal cells into the stroke-damaged portion of the brain.

Would there be an opportunity for my sister to be a candidate?

I would like to have you look at a video tape showing her - and the affect the stroke had on her; what she can do and what she can't do -  and her determination and great spirit.

Please let me know if you are willing to view the tape and consider her.

Thank you,
Antoinette Brady
Troy, MI   48098

Will keep you updated.

Janice

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #8 - May 1st, 2004 at 10:27am

D.J,
             I sent Dr. Steinberg and Theresa an E-Mail when I posted the post before this one, as soon as I was done talking to Mark. I'm sure it will take a little time to look at her all her films and make a determination. I'm so glad her films are already there that should help to speed it up. Mandy is very interested and excited about it too. I just hope her strokes were'nt to severe. We'll see. I'll let you know when they contact me.
                         Nancy  Kiss

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge