Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help with questions to ask (Read 3835 times)
momx3boys
New Poster

take time to stop and
smell the roses

Harwood, Canada, canada, 377, 385, ON, Ontario
Help with questions to ask
May 1st, 2004 at 9:32am

Hi everyone:

We take Lance to the neurosurgeon on Monday(may 3)
for our pre-op appointment. I was jusy wondering what kind of questions should I be asking? I am very nervous about all this and right now my mind seems to be one big bowl of mush.
                      Thanks to everyone in advance!!
                                  Carol

Carol

IP Logged

Tommyb
New Poster

i am Timothys father.
 He is the one with MoyaMoya

Galena, USA, usa, 342, 118, IL, Illinois
Re: Help with questions to ask
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2004 at 5:32pm

Hello "mom"
                Well. first of all you should find out which surgery the Dr. would be performing.  Secondly, how many surgeries of this type he has performed.  I asked exactly who was going to be present during the actual surgery.  Ask him if they will be monitoring your son with EEG during the surgery.  I am sure they will be, but ask to make yourself feel better.  EEG is a great way to determine the possibility that a stroke is occuring during surgery.  My sons nerologist was present to monitor the EEG during the entire surgery. 
               The main thing to remember is that you are not a neurosurgeon and you should be expected to ask questions.  The Dr. should have time to answer any question that you have to ask if he is a good Neurosurgeon.  This is your child and he should give you an hour to ask questions if you need it.  If he can't answer any of questions because he tells you that the anesthegiologist determines the answer, have him direct you to him.
              Mainly just remember you are not a neurosurgeon, ask whatever question you feel necassary.  Good luck and let us all know how you make out.

IP Logged

PatM
Experienced Poster

Woodcliff Lake, USA, usa, 498, 109, NJ, New_Jersey
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2004 at 9:23pm

Hi CArol

In addition to the above questions, you should make sure which Dr. is performing the actual surgery.  Actually, although it is too late for tomorrow, I was thinking of asking my Doctor, Doctor Connolly, to jot down a list of the most commonly asked questions for me.  Or, perhaps I could ask his secretary, Pat and his nurse practitioner, Kim, as well, and we can come up with our own checklist.  You definitely need to know what type of surgery is being performed....Dr. Connolly made it clear to me during our first visit exactly why he was suggesting EDAS and exactly why he was not suggesting other forms of surgery for my case...Can't think of anything else at the moment....also, ask how often he has done the surgery and does he usually use the same anaesthesiologist......the anaesthesiologist is just as important as the surgeon because the biggest risk of the surgery has to do with the length of time the patient is under general anaesthesia......Lance will be fine....God is with you....Good night and God Bless. Pat
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2004 at 1:07pm by DJ »  

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."...Jackie Robinson&&Worry looks around....Faith looks up......
psmartinlaw  
IP Logged

MJS452
Junior Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

greenfield, USA, IN, Indiana
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2004 at 8:45am

I know I am not writing in the right spot here, so please forgive me. Though I have read through these posts,, and said many prayers for ALL of you. Everyone seems so caring, it makes me cry with joy for a change.
I have tried to figure out how to get onto the chat, and can't do it and tried the help part, not there either.
My sister was just found to have Moyamoya. Her situation is different than most. She is a Downs Syndrom, 54 yrs old. They have sent her home to just wait out the strokes, until death. I have read about all the surgeries,God Bless you all for going through that. But she probably wouldn't be able to go through that. But who do I talk with to get more answers, what to expect, how in depth is the surgery,etc. Feel free to write me about this. Sorry to interrupt,again,  but thank you also for listening.    Sincerely      MJS

Lost Sister w/Downs to MM,also have brother w/MM

IP Logged

Annica
Experienced Poster

My daughter lives with
mm

Stockholm, Sweden, europe, 317, 154
Reply #4 - May 16th, 2004 at 3:48am

Hi Carol!

I think I read somewhere that the date for Lance´s surgery was May 12th so now we´re all waiting for your update on how he´s doing and if he had the surgery on both sides at the same time?
Sorry, dont mean to push you just want to make sure everything is fine with you and your family.

Take care,
Annica

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge