Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LA... (Read 10721 times)
hillary
Senior Poster

My daughter Holly has
MM

new braunfels, USA, usa, 279, 285, TX, Texas
LA...
May 2nd, 2004 at 11:00pm

Linda...

i was hoping we would get to meet each other, but i understand how things change, who knows Holly and i might be back down there that week for another angiogram if they want another one.  Holly's previous neurosurgeon called friday to see how things are going.  She is with Valley Childrens Hospital in Madera.  Some days seem to be better then others..some days i just feel rotten and don't understand things.  We are in the process of moving in a couple months and all this combined has really taken its toll on us.  I am nervous about going for the test next week, i don't drive in the bay area traffic much..we'll see how it goes.  Hope to talk to you soon and hope this note finds you all well.

Hillary and family

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Kneeland, USA, 15, 113, C
Re: LA...
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2004 at 2:50am

Hillary~
Jack and I are standing behing you in spirit. Seeing doctors, having tests, moving and negotiatin traffic in the Bay Area must be stressful. I can't imagine it.  I'm not looking forward to it either. Hopefully tomorrow (Mon) we'll  get a decent schedule for tests.
Please know that we're with you and will want to hear about your Stanford experience when you get home. They were very nice to me when I had my operation.
Again, Lots of LOVE to you and Holly.
I sense that we will meet sometime!
LA (Linda and Jack)

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

PatM
Experienced Poster

Woodcliff Lake, USA, usa, 498, 109, NJ, New_Jersey
Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2004 at 3:09am

Hi Hillary and Linda and Jack-----our prayers are with all of you.  I am also interested to know all of the details of your Stanford experience.  Don't worry (easier said than done, I know)  God will be with you all the way, plus you have all of us praying for you.  Please keep up posted with all the detals.  Are you seeing Dr. Steinberg? Good night and God Bless.  PatM

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."...Jackie Robinson&&Worry looks around....Faith looks up......
psmartinlaw  
IP Logged

hillary
Senior Poster

My daughter Holly has
MM

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2004 at 11:25am

hey..can either of you, or anyone else explain what a blood flow study is exactly...i think i'm confused, or lost or something, but curious too

Hillary

IP Logged

PatM
Experienced Poster

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2004 at 1:30pm

Hi HIllary-----to the best of my knowledge, a blood flow supply analysis is done by way of a CT scan.....For example, I had EDAS surgery on the right side of my brain on April 16th; Before my neurourgeon, Dr. Connolly will do the EDAS surgery on the left side of my brain using the superficial temporal artery on the left side, he wants to make sure that there is blood flow on the right side and, he wants to make sure that I did not develop a subdural hematoma during the surgery on the right side...he is almost positive that I did not, or I would already be having problems.  My CT scan blood flow supply analysis is tentatively scheduled for May 21st.  EDAS surgery on the left side is scheduled for  JUne 4th......I hope this explanation helps......it just slipped my mind....who is your neurosurgeon?  Dr. Connolly is absolutely the best for adults (52 surgeries, and still counting) and Dr. Neil A. Feldstein is the best pediatric neurosurgeon I know of. (more than 70 surgeries under his belt).  If you need a 2nd or 3rd opinion, Dr. Connolly can be reached at esc5@columbia.edu and DR. Feldstein can be reached at naf6@columbia.edu.  Tell them Pat Martin sent you......Be well.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."...Jackie Robinson&&Worry looks around....Faith looks up......
psmartinlaw  
IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2004 at 1:34pm

Hillary,
        I'm sure your experience at Stanford will be excellent Dr. Steinberg is the best in the world you'll really like him and his nurse Theresa. Good Luck!
                              Nancy  ;Grin

IP Logged

PatM
Experienced Poster

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2004 at 1:36pm

By the way, Hillary, my sister is Diane Main, who lives in San Jose, CA.  If you need a place to stay that is close to NY Presbyterian Hospital, you can stay with me and I can drive you in (or have my friend or my brother drive you in if I have staples in my head after surgery---they are both familiar with where to go)  My sister, Diane, can tell you that I have many bedrooms in my house and many bathrooms.......and, we have a very relaxing home on 1 acre of property where you can rest and relax.....all you need right now is the airfare and we can even arrange to have you picked up at Newark Airport....I am serious, Hillary....let me know.   God Bless. PatM

psmartinlaw  
IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2004 at 3:33pm

Hillary~
I am heartened by the incredibly helpful responsis you're receiving! Going thru this alone would be so hard.
Re: the blood flow test --- I'm not positive which one that is. I would call Steinbergs office and ask. They respect people who are proactive in what's going on. Also Teresa is very helpful, as you must already know.
Both Jack and I (but especially me) write everything down because it's all so overwhelming. I live with a notebook. People myst think I'm Lois Lane! of Batman fame......of course Jack can leap tall building in a single bound!!!!!!!

I'm scheduled for Stanford next week.
May 10th Monday       angiogram
       11th Tues            SPEC      
        12th Wed            SPEC
                                    Topping it all off with an MRI on the evening of the 12th.
Plus a visit with Dr. Steinberg after all the tests are done.

Once again, our best to you and Holly.
Our toughis and prayers are with you.
LA   Linda and Jack

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

hillary
Senior Poster

My daughter Holly has
MM

Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2004 at 3:50pm

Linda and Jack

I believe Holly and I will be there next week as well.  We will be doing her pre-op physical on the 11th or the 12th.  Not sure yet, but waiting for Margie to call me back.  I talked to Teresa on the phone when all this started but Joli has been our nurse thats been calling us mostly.  Both are very helpful.  Maybe we can still meet next week.  I'll let you know for sure when it is.

Pat
Thank you very much for the offer, i truly appreciate it.  Our doctor is Dr. Steinberg @ Stanford. 

You all have been very helpful throughout this.

IP Logged

hillary
Senior Poster

My daughter Holly has
MM

Reply #9 - May 3rd, 2004 at 7:23pm

Linda.

after talking with you and Jack, they have changed our appointment to the 12th at 1:30 and 2:30 so hopefully will see you then..

Hillary

IP Logged

LisaH
Senior Poster

Be thankful in all circumstances

ArlingtonHts, USA, usa, 358, 120, IL, Illinois
Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2004 at 10:40pm

Hi Hillary,

I believe the blood flow study at Stanford is the SPECT scan.  A very boring test but not a big deal.  You get a drip, lay around for awhile and then have pictures taken for awhile.  The second part of the study you get a drip, lay around, get Diamox and then get pictures taken.  It's a lot of laying around and some people (myself included) feel a little sick from the Diamox but it's not horrible just uncomfortable.   And the test shows just what it says- the flow of blood- although the Diamox simulates activity by increasing oxygen to the brain.  So it basically shows the blood flow to the brain at rest and under activity.  Does that make any sense?  DJ has information about the tests under the links and he has pictures of his SPECT under "My Pictures". 

I am extremely pleased that Holly is going to Stanford.  She is in wonderful hands- no worries! ;Grin 
Lisa

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Reply #11 - May 4th, 2004 at 2:49am

LisaH~
Thanks for the good description of the SPECT scan. It's good hearing about it from some one with experience. I used to have the Zenon CT scan which was a major fun trip but it seems the FDA had banned Zenon. So this will be my first SPECT.
Thanks for the information!!!
LA    ( Linda)

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Reply #12 - May 4th, 2004 at 2:54am

Hillary~
Jack and I wrote down your new Stanford appt. date. We'll be there too. We'll send you our hotel site once we figure it out.

Best wishes for tomorrow.
Extra hugs for you and Holly.
Was nice chatting today.
You are a very brave, strong and intelligent woman. No doubt that Holly has those qualities too.

Love,
LA (Linda ~~~~  Jack sends love too)

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Reply #13 - May 4th, 2004 at 3:07am

Linda & Hillary,

Lisa's description of the SPECT was right on.  It will give you (among other things) a really cool picture of the oxygen content in the brain.

Look at the pictures of mine above where I explain the test a little bit better.  I was LUCKY I only lost the feeling in a couple of fingers from my stroke.  It could have/should have been a lot worse!

Our thoughts and prayers will be with you!  You will be in good hands...

Wink

-DJ

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

hillary
Senior Poster

My daughter Holly has
MM

Reply #14 - May 4th, 2004 at 9:43am

well everyone, my stomach is a bundle of nerves, holly and i are leaving this morning, and coming home tomorrow.  will be the first time i haven't had my mom with me during a test or appointment.  she is staying home to take care of my older daughter so she won't miss so much school. 

will catch up on everything tomorrow night when i get home, hope everyones day goes well.

hillary and family

IP Logged

PatM
Experienced Poster

Reply #15 - May 4th, 2004 at 10:48am

Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss
Hillary and Holly ---lots of hugs and kisses to you both.  Everything will be fine.......The Holy Spirit will lead  and guide you  in the coming days......"I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, and your young men will see visions." Joel 2:28 (NIV)

Keep us posted , ok.  God Bless you.  PatM Wink Wink Wink Wink ;Grin ;Grin

psmartinlaw  
IP Logged

hillary
Senior Poster

My daughter Holly has
MM

Reply #16 - May 5th, 2004 at 11:54pm

yayyy we are home, things went well the last couple of days, although i have no idea what the test showed, they said they would give it to the doctor.  we have a bunch of appointments next wed.  then surgery the following week, and the week after.  so far they do not need to do another angiogram...holly is thankful for that, and so are the rest of us.

talk to you all later.
hillary

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Reply #17 - May 7th, 2004 at 1:01am

Hillary~
Hugs to Holly~
Glad everything went well at Stanford. I wrote you a personal email this evening. Jack and I look forward to getting together with you and Holly. The motel we're staying at is a funky old place right near Stanford Shopping Center and the Hospital. We always stay there. I wrote the motel infor on your email. Sorry if I'm gettiing repetitive.

We are leaving here on Saturday the 8th and will slowly travel south.

I think you are so brave.
We send our love.
Linda and Jack

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

connie1
New Poster

Union City, USA, usa, 24, 155, CA, California
Reply #18 - May 9th, 2004 at 4:06pm

Hi everyone in California Smiley,

I've read your personal messages and these postings. I'm 20 minutes away from Stanford and am definitely interested in meeting with you. Can you tell me when you scheduled to meet, and maybe I can join you?

Hugs and best wishes,
Connie

IP Logged

hillary
Senior Poster

My daughter Holly has
MM

Reply #19 - May 9th, 2004 at 11:09pm

connie...Linda and Jack are there already, but i have plans on meeting them wed sometime, trying to get there a bit early our first appt is at 12:30.  can you meet before that?

let me know and i'll talk to you later
HIllary

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge