Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Still Hoping for answers (Read 4295 times)
MJS452
Junior Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

greenfield, USA, IN, Indiana
Still Hoping for answers
May 13th, 2004 at 9:10am

Undecided Still hoping to find out what to expect. I wrote another post, but the replies were not what I was hoping. And,maybe, no one has anything they are able to tell me, I am not sure. But, what I would like to know is this. Does anyone have any idea what to expect if someone has this moyamoya, and does not get anything done to fix it. The doctors really don't know what to tell me, as they have never dealt with this. She is 54 yrs old, has Downs Syndrom, so she is not a candiatate for any invasive proceedures. She has had one brain bleed, and mini stroke, this is how we found it. Anyway, thanks for listeneing. And, thanks for trying to help me.   SIncerely MJS

Lost Sister w/Downs to MM,also have brother w/MM

IP Logged

Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Houston, USA, usa, 291, 279, TX, Texas
Re: Still Hoping for answers
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2004 at 9:34am

MJS:

I am sorry you didn't get the answers you needed. I think the problem is that everyone knows how important surgery is. If she is not a candidate for surgery, she will, in time, continue having strokes. Moya Moya is a progressive disease, and therefore, if it is not treated with surgery, will continue to progress. Unfortunately, MM is causing the blood vessels in her brain to "stop" flowing. With out the proper circulation, she will have strokes. Her symptoms will be (most likely) numbness in her face, and limbs, migraines, and sometimes I have heard of people having involuntary movement. For example, their hand will kind of twitch...

Doctors usually put MM patients on a blood thinner (like aspirin). Given the fact she has had a brain bleed, they should not do this.

This disease moves at different speeds. I have heard of people without the surgery not having a stroke for many years. In many, it moves faster.

The only thing that you can do (if she can not have the surgery) is let her take it easy. Try not to push her too hard physically. Make she she gets lots of rest, and eats enough. (Being over tired or hngry can trigger the symptoms, in my case)

Other than a surgery, I do not know of any other procedures. I hate to be the one to answer you honestly, but if the doctors won't do it, I feel someone should.

Please keep in touch. My prayers are with you two!

Please feel free to contact me if you want to. My email is sgosline@crcins.com or sarabug_99@yahoo.com.

Sara

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #2 - May 13th, 2004 at 10:09am

My daughter is 7 she was diagnosed with mm 2 yrs ago.She ahd surgery at that time.She too was born with Down Syndrome.What is the reason they have given you for NOT doing surgery??? Have you gotten any other opinions from other surgeons?
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2004 at 10:19am

Hi MJS,

I'm sorry that you did not get the answers you sought personally from us in your first posts, but if you read the medical links here, it will tell you as Sara just explained, that this disease is a progressive disease, and to date, surgery is our only option. Medications help treat, but progressive deterioration continues in the majority of individuals with mm disease. That's why we emphasize a doctor with experience with mm, they will know more than most neurologists/neurosurgeons, and know the importance of time involved and the advancement of the disease. Unfortunately your sister has had many complications such as intracerebral bleeding, you may not know the brain damage done. It also sounds as though the doctors are affraid of hemorrhage also. But like I said in the other post, the only thing I can suggest is another opinion from a mm expert, to be sure that all is being done for your sister, if you're in doubt. The links for that 2nd opinion are here also. You can mail them your sisters films and records and know immediately. Dr. Steinberg, of Stanford is the best in my opinion, but there are other excellent doctors here qualified to help you and give you the answers you're looking for. God bless you for caring for your sister. My heart and prayers go out to you both. Smiley

Mar

IP Logged

Canadian_Girl
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Canada, canada, 340, 346, ON, Ontario
Reply #4 - May 13th, 2004 at 1:02pm

MJS,

My husband had surgery in September and in February we found out the vein that was used had closed up and was not doing what it was supposed to do.  Surgery was eight months ago and we have had no problems since.  We've continued with blood pressure medicine, cholesterol & coated aspirin each day.  He was back at work in December with no problems.  There is not a lot of information of adults with MM out there, but so far, we are doing ok so far.  We are working up to his 1 year anniversary.  Any ideas of how to spend (celebrate?) the 1st anniversary?

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #5 - May 13th, 2004 at 2:21pm

MJS452,
          My daughter was in the hospital waiting for her brain to cool down to go out to CA. from Philly for her surgery and there were three different blood thinning meds. to try on her while waiting for surgery by the way she had severe involuntary tremmors she could not even sit up without her body shaking when they tried the mildest least likely one first to cause brain bleeds her brain started to bleed right away so they then decided to just give her shots of Lovenox which does not cause brain bleeds she ended up taking the shots for 8 months or so and that was only because of an oversite she could have stopped them shortly after surgery, she is now just taking a coated asprin a day. My point is maybe she can have an alternative to the med. making her brain bleed. Is it that this doctor just doesn't know enough about MM to treat her properly. Mary Grace had a  good question maybe we missed it but why can't she have surgery having down syndrome certainly is no reason. Ask some questions or by God please get another doctor more knowledgable. You can send your films to Dr. Steinberg for a second opinion even if you cannot go there for surgery. Please keep seeking more answers don't just except the ones your givin. Keep fighting. Good Luck. Keep us posted.
                            Nancy  Undecided

IP Logged

PatM
Experienced Poster

Woodcliff Lake, USA, usa, 498, 109, NJ, New_Jersey
Reply #6 - May 13th, 2004 at 10:35pm

MJS-----I am personally aware that my neurosurgeon, E. Sander Connolly, has experience with surgery on Down's Syndrome patients, patients with "bleeders" and patients with brain aneurysms.....Might I suggest that you call his secretary, Pat, and arrange for your sister's MRI's and angiograms to be e-mailed to Dr. Connolly......As far as I am concerned, AND THIS IS JUST MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION FROM MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, and I certainly mean no disrespect to Dr. Steinberg, Dr. Connolly is absolutely the most brilliant and dedicated (on call 24/7) neurosurgeon I have ever met.  His number is 212-305-0376.  Talk to Pat and she will tell you what you should do.....she is extremely kind.....God Bless. Pat M

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."...Jackie Robinson&&Worry looks around....Faith looks up......
psmartinlaw  
IP Logged

MJS452
Junior Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

greenfield, USA, IN, Indiana
Reply #7 - May 14th, 2004 at 10:39am

Smiley Thank you all SOOOO very much!!!!! I am so happy for the Honest opinons!  Her situations is this,,, she is 54 yr old Downs, severe Downs. But her health has exceded any predeictions by any doc alive. But her stress level is extremely high. When in the hospital, because of the stress level only, her heart rate and blood pressure dropped to very dangerous levels, actually, fatal. They could not understand why, or how to fix that. I TOLD them over and over it was the stress they were putting her through, needlessly. (Which they honestly were). So they stopped, moved her to a private room, and she imm. improved. They then realized that the stress alone could do her in. But they also didnot know enough info(I figured this out later), to tell me what to expect. They did say her viens were extremely "intangled". And that apperantly she had been having  mini strokes for some time. She has had nothing done to her medically in her 54 yrs other than blood pressure check(which she HATES) and a blood test once a year. SHe has NEVER lived outside of the home, not been to school, etc. She is totally dependant on her family only. Her speech is bad, so others cannot understand her, and many things she cannot even tell you herself, as she doesn't know. I have to guess when something isn't right. SO,,, having the surgery, at her age, her ways, etc,,, was much more than she could have taken anyway. SO, I am just trying to find someone who may have lived with this, and the outcome, or systpoms to possibley expect. None of us has that "crystal ball" as one doctor told me. Sorry so long,,,, but that is some of our story. Hope ths helps to understand. Sometimes I wish I could. And some answers have helped me here today. But PLEASE,,, can I stay in contact with you? I am so alone with this. I am in Inpls, In area. We had the "BEST" doc on this, and her knew little. I may contact some you have given me though.  Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      MJS

Lost Sister w/Downs to MM,also have brother w/MM

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 14th, 2004 at 10:48am

MJS452 wrote on May 14th, 2004 at 10:39am:
But PLEASE,,, can I stay in contact with you? I am so alone with this.

PLEASE DO!!! We're family here and would love to talk and be there for you and for each other. You, you're sister and family are in our prayers. Smiley

God bless,
Mar

IP Logged

Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Houston, USA, usa, 291, 279, TX, Texas
Reply #9 - May 14th, 2004 at 10:51am

Please keep in touch  ;Grin

We want to hear how everything is going!

GOD BLESS!

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #10 - May 14th, 2004 at 10:59am

Please do keep us posted.Even if we don't have answers, your posts may even help someone else too.My daughter has Down Syndrome too, and it is hard to know when something may be bothering her.She has always been very high functioning but there is a lot she can't communicate to me.thats why the MRI's are so important to us.YOur family will be in our prayers.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

PatM
Experienced Poster

Woodcliff Lake, USA, usa, 498, 109, NJ, New_Jersey
Reply #11 - May 14th, 2004 at 1:25pm

We are all here for you!!! You are not alone.........
"The Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words."  Romans 8:26 (NRSV)

WE are here for you when your sighs and sorrows are too deep for words......God Bless. PatM

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."...Jackie Robinson&&Worry looks around....Faith looks up......
psmartinlaw  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge