Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Timeline to expect, if any, on response from Dr. S (Read 6458 times)
sdl
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

san jose, USA, CA, California
Timeline to expect, if any, on response from Dr. S
May 14th, 2004 at 3:59am

Hi all,

New member here.

My daughter was diagnosed w/ Moyamoya way back in late '89 (that big CA quake was good for something anyways!  Cheesy )

I sent off an email VERY early on the 10th to Dr Steinberg, and based on the commentary here I was rather expecting a swift reply...
But, not a peep as of yet  Sad

I am wondering if those of you that have communicated w/ Dr Steinberg on MM but NOT regarding him doing a surgery or being a second opinion on a diagnosis can give me a more accurate timeline to expect a reply, if any?

Oddly, my daughter first saw him at Stanford when her pediatrician referred her 'back in the day', but he had yet to do any surgeries and was 'watching' his 5 other MM patients only at that time.
I have to admit that I am worried that the fact that we were yanked by our Ped and sent to Dr Micheal Steinman at UCSF to do a more aggressive surgical intervention (and the ensuing 'words' our Ped said he had w/ Dr Steinberg) will not be an issue in my request for advice/medical followup...
Undecided

Any words of advice or encouragement from those that know Dr S?

Thanks,
S

IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Re: Timeline to expect, if any, on response from D
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2004 at 4:53am

S,

Not sure I exactly understand what the question is with this one?

Are you saying your daughter was diagnosed with moyamoya in 1989 and ended up going to a different medical facility for a "more aggressive surgery"... but it didn't happen?  It did happen?

Obviously, I have no idea what you sent to Dr. Steinberg via email, but for 99.999% of the folks on this board who've emailed him for advice on moyamoya, I think I can say he's responded in a VERY timely manner.

sdl wrote on May 14th, 2004 at 3:59am:
I am wondering if those of you that have communicated w/ Dr Steinberg on MM but NOT regarding him doing a surgery or being a second opinion on a diagnosis can give me a more accurate timeline to expect a reply, if any?

If you're trying to bring up a "personal beef" between your family and a couple of doctors in the San Francisco area from 14 years ago, this isn't the place to do it!  I guess I just don't understand why someone would use this site to email Dr. Steinberg on something other than a diagnoses, or a second opionion, and then ask us why he hasn't emailed her back in a timely manner?

Am I the only one confused here???? Or am I just being over-protective?

Edit:  Ok, let me back up here...  SDL, it was brought to my attention that I was possibly missing the point that you were seeking long term follow-up for your daughter from Dr. Steinberg.  If that's the case, I completely apologize for being defensive and not catching the point when I originally posted.  Just trying to keep an eye out for the family.
Smiley

« Last Edit: May 14th, 2004 at 3:12pm by DJ »  

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Houston, USA, usa, 291, 279, TX, Texas
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2004 at 10:10am

SDL,

I hope we haven't chased you away. It sounds like something is frustrating you. I haven't dealth with Dr. Steinberg, but I am sure he gets back with everyone as soon as he can on a priority basis. What kind of questions did you have for him. I was dx in 1989, as a child. Maybe I can help you with something?

Everyone on this site really loves and trusts Dr. Steinberg, he has saved so many lifes. I understand you are upset. . .

We all try to respect each other on this site. I hope this will continue!

Sara

ps- what's your name? How is your daughter now?

IP Logged

Canadian_Girl
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Canada, canada, 340, 346, ON, Ontario
Reply #3 - May 14th, 2004 at 10:19am

I emailed Dr. Steinberg this past Monday about my husband's case.  He emailed me back on Tuesday and his nurse Teresa emailed me again on Wednesday.  They are going to give us a 2nd opinion from what our neurologist says.  He's quicker to get back to us than our local doctors!  Awesome!

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2004 at 10:28am

Sara wrote on May 14th, 2004 at 10:10am:
We all try to respect each other on this site. I hope this will contiinue!

ALWAYS!!! Keeping in mind the purpose for which this website was intended.

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #5 - May 14th, 2004 at 11:23am

Hey I thought it was just me it made no sense to me neither.  Smiley
                             Nancy

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 14th, 2004 at 3:54pm

sdl,

I may have misunderstood your post and for that I'm sorry. This website and Dr. Steinberg, I love dearly, they saved my neice's life and are very important to me. I was quick in getting defensive, and for that, I was wrong. All are welcome and deserve the kind words and answers in which they seek. I can't help you, because I do not understand the question, but I hope you get your answers.

Mar

IP Logged

sdl
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - May 14th, 2004 at 6:42pm

Whooff!

OK, I was a little vague, since I did not really state my daughter's (Laura) full case history, nor did I spec WHY I was writing to Dr Steinberg.

Also, I only included the past reference as I was AFRAID it might be relevant to my personal response times..... BUT I was hoping NOT.

So....
Let's be a little clearer:

My name is Seaneen, we live in the SF Bay Area, my daughter Laura was diagnosed at age 5 in late '89 with MM by her pediatrician after he ordered an MRI to confirm his suspicions (yes, the man also walks on water in his spare time Wink ) and since he worked in Palo Alto and also taught classes at Stanford that was the first stop for us.

As they did not AT THAT TIME have a full-blown program, and only a few patients they were trying alternative/medicine-driven therapy on, our pediatrician chose to send us on to UCSF and their Chief of Pediatric Neurosurgery.
It seems their Chief was considered an experienced expert on MM, having written the teaching manual on the subject and having done over 50 surgeries at the time (he had also JUST proposed a different much less intrusive/no long-term-risk surgery and it had been published the month before).

Our daughter had suffered a 'small' stroke during her diagnosis, and some TIAs before surgery (modified EDAS bilateral) could be done in April/May '90, but had fully recovered in all ways by her one year appointment.
This surgeon is no longer at UCSF, in fact I believe he has retired since I cannot locate him.

They were much more paranoid about minor symptoms back then, and put her on Tegretol (an anti-epilepsy drug) for and 'indefinite' time; I weaned her off of it by 3rd grade, and her learning and energy level increased to normal ever since.

My daughter is now almost 20 years old, and we suspect she is pregnant with her first child; I know that there is generally no concerns over this, but since she has not been checked by a neurologist or neurosurgeon since one year post surgery, and has had only one additional MRI at age 12 that was compared to her post-surgical MRI with no changes noted, Mom is worried that maybe, just maybe, we should get a local expert's opinion on her own personal physical condition and risk factors.

So, I do current Net research, find many varying sites, like this one for it's current data and heavy user input, and decide our best bet is to contact Dr Steinberg, since it seems he is now on the same track her surgeon was on back in '90.

Since everyone here seeemed to have lightening-fast replies noted, I became concerned when I heard nothing for 4 days during the week and posted my note for input from those in communication with him on non-surgical issues.

My only concern is our Ped is more like a Marine Drill Sergeant towards adults and collegues and has ZERO patience for ANYTHING as well-
I was worried that he had totally rubbed Dr Steinberg the wrong way over our daughter's case-  I have not actually seen or talked to Dr Steinberg since our initial appointment in '89.

Hope this helps clarify my reasons for posting.

Seaneen

PS
Sara, who did your surgery back then? Were you in the Bay Area?!
I find it just amazing, since 'one in a million' seemed to be being too conservative back then!  Smiley

IP Logged

DianeMain
Experienced Poster

My sister, PatM, has moyamoya.

San Jose, USA, usa, 23, 160, CA, California
Reply #8 - May 15th, 2004 at 11:56pm

Seaneen (love your name, is it Irish?),

I am also in the SF Bay Area, in San Jose.  I don't have MM, but my sister PatM, in New Jersey does.

I've heard lots of things about Dr. Steinberg, all of them good, especially about his response times, so (now after reading your most recent post), I can understand your concern.  I would actually just copy and paste your entire (most recent) message to Dr. Steinberg himself, so he can see that you're concerned that perhaps your doctor offended him in some way.

DJ, does Dr. S read this board?

Diane

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -- Bill Watterson (1958 - ), cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

IP Logged

Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Houston, USA, usa, 291, 279, TX, Texas
Reply #9 - May 17th, 2004 at 10:00am

SDL,

Hi, Its Sara!

I had my surgeries in Houston Tx. My doc here conversed with Dr. Scott about the surgery. I was the first one the Dr. Laurent did. He is now the head of pediatric neurosurgery at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston's Medical Center.

I am surprised to hear your daughter has not had ANY follow-up at all. I don't have as much as the others on this board. But, I definetely call my doc from time to time with questions. Has your daughter not had ANY problems? If not, that is great!

I have sent you a few private messages. Have you gotten them?

I would love to help with any questions about the situation your daughter is facing now, being pregnant. In my opinion, she REALLY needs to see a neurologist before she delivers. With pregnancy and MM there are concerns.... Blood pressure, blood clotting... and others. Please promise us you will be sure and take her to a neuro doc....

Take care and write me back should you want to!

Sara

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #10 - May 17th, 2004 at 12:30pm

Sara,
       That sounds like some good advice to me like they say better safe than sorry!
                             Nancy

IP Logged

sdl
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2004 at 2:38pm

Hi All, back from vacation but real busy, so this will be brief.

Yes, the name is indeed Irish.   Cheesy

Nothing as yet from Dr S- will consider calling the office since it is local to get some advise over the next few weeks...

We are in SJ too. The advantage is that it's a big metropolitan area with lots of medical resources- the disadvantage is that it's VERY expensive to get quality care... and my daughter does not have insurance and MediCal is being very difficult about coverage...

Sara, Laura said she meant to write you via email, but was swamped watching out for her little sister for me this last week- hopefully soon, but she can be an airhead  Kiss

Thanks for all the input guys, and I'm a tough little cookie, so no worries about any misunderstandings at first- I can take it!  Wink ;Grin
No really, I know no one meant anything by it, and I take VERY little personally  Smiley

S

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge