Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Public information (Read 5504 times)
LisaH
Senior Poster

Be thankful in all circumstances

ArlingtonHts, USA, usa, 358, 120, IL, Illinois
Public information
May 23rd, 2004 at 12:59am

Hi all,

I just PMed Pat about this but then thought about it and decided it should be a little warning to everyone using this board.  

Please, please, please!!!-- do not post your personal information (addresses/phone numbers etc.) on the main message board for your own safety!  I can't stress this enough!

I am on other message boards and have heard horror stories over the years of not so nice "trolls", just downright evil people, that have nothing better to do than to harrass/threaten/harm posters on boards.  People have been known to track posters down, call them, rob their homes and yes, on occassion, go to their homes and do physical harm.  No, this is not the norm but it CAN happen.   Paranoid?  Maybe, but I would like all of us to be on the side of caution rather than the side of harm.  Undecided

So, what can you do to get the information out there safely?  Post very personal info on the "back board" here or private message/e-mail people that you think need or want this personal info.

It's a big Internet world out there.  Be safe! Smiley
Lisa
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2004 at 2:17am by LisaH »  

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Re: Public information
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2004 at 7:25pm

Excellent post Lisa!!! ...and sooooo true!!

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #2 - May 24th, 2004 at 9:47pm

DITTO!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

DianeMain
Experienced Poster

My sister, PatM, has moyamoya.

San Jose, USA, usa, 23, 160, CA, California
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2004 at 2:21am

In one form or another, I've been "online" since before the Internet as we know it existed.  I began using dial-up BBSes (bulletin boards) in late 1987.  Want to talk about some people with TIME on their hands?!?!  (Even better, want to talk about slow dial-up connections?  56K is 56000 bps . . . my first modem was 300 bps!)

And since people generally tried to stick to using BBSes that were a local phone call away, therefore close to home, most of the users were in the immediate area.  You wouldn't believe some of the garbage I went through, even having to involve a lawyer to threaten a harasser, and this was before online privacy issues were ever thought up, so there were no precedents.  Most lawyers didn't even know what was "out there" online.

My how the world has changed in 15 or so years!

Long story short, nowadays it's even a bit scarier knowing that someone half a world away could be jotting down all your handy info and using it from so far away without you ever knowing it.  Let's not forget about identity theft.

Diane
Smiley

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -- Bill Watterson (1958 - ), cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

IP Logged

Rena
Senior Poster

Hi, My son Tyler was diagnosed
with MM in 2003

, Colorado, USA
Reply #4 - May 28th, 2004 at 10:13am

Everyone might know about this, but I thought I'd post it just in case:

If you enter a phone number into a Google search, without spaces or parentheses, you will get directions straight to the persons house. I have removed my number from the search, because I don't want people finding my number by chance and coming for a visit unexpectedly.

Smiley SmileyYIKES! Smiley Smiley

I've learned to never underestimate the impossible. -Blake Sheldon-&&There are no failures, just options tried. -Thomas Edison-&&
http://www.facebook.com/wldrtst?v=wall&story_fbid= oneofakindco  
IP Logged

nikki
Experienced Poster

My Mom has MM

southside, USA, usa, 396, 219, AL, Alabama
Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2004 at 1:58am

Things like that make me hate computers sometimes! Smiley Your info can be on there without you even knowing it!

IP Logged

Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Houston, USA, usa, 291, 279, TX, Texas
Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 3:35pm

I worked for a place and when we would get a customers home phone, we would type it in and add them to our mailing list. I didn't agree with it... But, it was just junk, mail...

I know I've posted my info before... I hope nothing happens...

Sara

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge