Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Other intrest? (Read 18653 times)
Rena
Senior Poster

Hi, My son Tyler was diagnosed
with MM in 2003

, Colorado, USA
Other intrest?
May 23rd, 2004 at 1:33pm

Well I have to admit I'm sports challenged. Just to show you haw bad it is here's an example of my ignorance showing:
I was here about a 6 months and I saw someone wearing an Colorado Avalanche (sp?) Shirt. I looked at them and said I thought Colorado was the Denver Broncos. The laughed and then were very nice about explaining the Broncos was Football and the Avalanche was Hockey. I am proud to say I know that the Rockies is the baseball team now.
But anyways, does anyone have any other intrest I can chat with them about?????

I like reading (Dean Koontz), writing (poetry and short stories), crafts (all kinds, the list would be a post in it's self), and walking.

I've learned to never underestimate the impossible. -Blake Sheldon-&&There are no failures, just options tried. -Thomas Edison-&&
http://www.facebook.com/wldrtst?v=wall&story_fbid= oneofakindco  
IP Logged

ariannasmommy
Experienced Poster

^i^Angel Arianna^i^

Herrin, USA, usa, 361, 171, IL, Illinois
Re: Other intrest?
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2004 at 7:13pm

I love horseback riding and ghosthunting, (we discussed that earlier) and reading.  I also love singing karaoke.  Enter lots of contests and occassionaly win. 
Movies, the scarier the better.  I will be taking up photography soon, to better enhance the ghost hunting.

Tammy Carter
munbby2004  
IP Logged

dbohot
New Poster

Austin, USA, usa, 287, 269, TX, Texas
Reply #2 - May 24th, 2004 at 10:33am

Ghost hunting?  That is seriously scary.  Any good stories?

IP Logged

Rena
Senior Poster

with MM in 2003

, Colorado, USA
Reply #3 - May 24th, 2004 at 7:32pm

You want something scary you should hear me sing...lol

I've learned to never underestimate the impossible. -Blake Sheldon-&&There are no failures, just options tried. -Thomas Edison-&&
IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #4 - May 24th, 2004 at 9:41pm

I hear you on that Rena!

IP Logged

ariannasmommy
Experienced Poster

^i^Angel Arianna^i^

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2004 at 12:21am

I have lots of scary stories.  I was discussing one with Rena just the other day.  If you ever  are interested, let me know, I'll send you one.  Not all are scary.  Some are very sad and some are very touching.  It is lots of fun and very interesting.

Tammy Carter
munbby2004  
IP Logged

jaredsis2
New Poster

brooklyn, USA, usa, 488, 138, NY, New_York
Reply #6 - May 25th, 2004 at 1:16am

i also love reading.. all types of books.. any suggestions?

xbabygirlx16  
IP Logged

Rena
Senior Poster

with MM in 2003

, Colorado, USA
Reply #7 - May 26th, 2004 at 9:24am

Good books:

CryTear Jerker:
Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas By James Patterson

SmileyHorror:
Dragon Tear by Dean Koontz
From the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koontz
The Switch by Sandra Brown

SmileyHistory:
Ely, Too Black, Too White edited by Elizabeth N. & Arthur Ben Chitty And Abridged by Robert A. Jones

SmileyMystery:
Holes by Louis Sachar

SmileyPoetry/Humorous:
Falling Up By Shel Silverstein

These are a few I like  ;Grin My daughter reads alot of Stephen King, but I prefer Dean Koontz Smiley

IP Logged

gilberttl
Junior Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Lewisville, USA, usa, 285, 247, TX, Texas
Reply #8 - May 26th, 2004 at 6:10pm

I love books written by Mary Higgins Clark.  They are mysteries with sometimes a little romance.   Smiley
             Tricia

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #9 - May 26th, 2004 at 7:17pm

I agree Tricia!  I also like anything by James Patterson and Patricia Cornwall.

-Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

LisaH
Senior Poster

Be thankful in all circumstances

ArlingtonHts, USA, usa, 358, 120, IL, Illinois
Reply #10 - May 27th, 2004 at 1:31am

I LOVE to read and read just about anything I can get my hands on!  I used to read a lot of Stephen King also but have found that I don't like his newer works for some reason.  I like Koontz and Patterson a lot too.  I also must admit  Smiley that I have read every single Oprah Book Club selection- except the Toni Morrison ones 'cause I couldn't relate very well.  We should start an online book club! Smiley

Lisa

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

IP Logged

PatM
Experienced Poster

Woodcliff Lake, USA, usa, 498, 109, NJ, New_Jersey
Reply #11 - May 27th, 2004 at 8:52am

Boy------but it seems there are mostly girls on this thread---this is a very well read group-----just finished last night-----Mitch Albom's "The Five People you Meet in Heaven"  excellent book...he also wrote "Tuedays with Morrie", another superb book-----they are short and hard to put down.......love Patricia Cornwall-----Kay Scarpetta is the best character I have ever read about----she is the chief medical examiner for the State of Virginia----and, she is BRILLIANT-----as you all know, I use that word alot---veddy British, you know......I watch almost no TV, so I am reading all the time.....when I was misdiagnosed, there was a time when I could not read, and it was horrible......now, I am a voracious reader once again....Love to all, PatM

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."...Jackie Robinson&&Worry looks around....Faith looks up......
psmartinlaw  
IP Logged

PatM
Experienced Poster

Reply #12 - May 27th, 2004 at 8:54am

oh yes, I forgot to say that Lisa's idea of an on-line book club is WAY cool-----I am not shouting, just emphasizing my point.....P Wink

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."...Jackie Robinson&&Worry looks around....Faith looks up......
psmartinlaw  
IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #13 - May 27th, 2004 at 9:05am

I agree - Lisa's idea of an online book club sounds great.  I've actually tried to start one with my friends from work and they wanted nothing to do with it!!!  So, that would be great!

-Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

ariannasmommy
Experienced Poster

^i^Angel Arianna^i^

Reply #14 - May 27th, 2004 at 12:52pm

That would be lots of fun.  I really tend to stick to the spooky horror movies unless I am motivated to read something else.  I have found lots of good books that way.  But looking at my collection right now, it looks like it could be the collection of a serial killer.  Hope the FBI don't come knocking on my door for anything.

Tammy Carter
munbby2004  
IP Logged

Rena
Senior Poster

with MM in 2003

, Colorado, USA
Reply #15 - May 27th, 2004 at 3:24pm

Well, I love the idea of a book club, however when my classes start back up in the fall, all I'll be reading is textbooks Smiley

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Kneeland, USA, 15, 113, C
Reply #16 - May 27th, 2004 at 4:34pm

WOW~
Count me in on the online book group! I love to read. When I was in my 20's I worked in a couple of old time client oriented bookshops. Converted most my paychecks into books!
I read about Tibet, travel accounts or life stories (like Osa and Martin Johnson, Edmund Hillary, ~~~mind blank now!~~~) accounts like "Killing Fields". some sci fi like TERRY PRATCGETT (a wonderfukl maniac), Steinbeck, and all the greats we all read in high school. Vonnegut is good too. Ok, Ok, so I read!!!!!!!  Have not been up on the latest since my 1999 stroke and 2000 stroke but am egar for recommednations. It took me awhile to get my ability to read back. I also read alot about strokes and tramatic brain injury survivors.
Book groups sounds fun!!!!!!!
Linda

ooops  ---  "TERRY PRATCGETT" ..... that's
                                                     Roll Eyes    PRATCHETT

« Last Edit: May 27th, 2004 at 7:10pm by LA »  

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

LisaH
Senior Poster

Be thankful in all circumstances

ArlingtonHts, USA, usa, 358, 120, IL, Illinois
Reply #17 - May 27th, 2004 at 7:21pm

All-

I'm going to ask DJ to put up a section on the board for a book club.  How should we do it then?  A book a month?  I guess we could all take turns picking the book for the month and discuss it through posts as we go along and then maybe at the end of the month (or whatever time is set) we set up a specific time in chat.   Smiley  We could read anything, old or new, but probably not a good idea to read a book that is part of series for those that have not read the other books.  Would do you all think?  Anybody have a good idea for a first book? 

We could have DJ pick out our reading material every month but then all we would be reading is Playboy!  Smiley 

Lisa

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

IP Logged

Rena
Senior Poster

with MM in 2003

, Colorado, USA
Reply #18 - May 27th, 2004 at 8:05pm

LOL so true Lisa.

What if everyone votes for a Genre to narrow down the choices? I think we might end up with a Horror story first, Wink but it seems like a good way to narrow down the choices then we can go from there. Maybe put everyones ID's in alphabetical order, so we know when it's our turn to pick? Undecided
A book a month sounds like something I can handle even through school, so if everyone agrees, we can start there.
We also need to set what parts we will discuss, so no one gives away the part that everyone hasn't finished yet. I have a tendicy to read any book in a weekend and I wouldn't want to mess up the story for anyone.  Smiley (yes I'm addicted to reading, once I pick a book up I don't put it down till I'm finished.)

IP Logged

gilberttl
Junior Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Lewisville, USA, usa, 285, 247, TX, Texas
Reply #19 - May 27th, 2004 at 9:25pm

I like the idea of a book club, so if it gets started, count me in! Smiley  Tricia

IP Logged

ariannasmommy
Experienced Poster

^i^Angel Arianna^i^

Reply #20 - May 27th, 2004 at 9:45pm

Lisa,
I really like the idea of the book a month and chat. That  would be such a good way to connect to each other.
I wonder if we need to find out what people are comfortable reading and what they are not.  I have read what some here
to read, but I don't want someone not to join simply because it is something they won't read or might find offensive.
Do ya know what I am trying to say?

Tammy Carter
munbby2004  
IP Logged

DianeMain
Experienced Poster

My sister, PatM, has moyamoya.

San Jose, USA, usa, 23, 160, CA, California
Reply #21 - May 28th, 2004 at 2:28am

Thanks for reminding me to grab my copies of the following two books to bring to school to share with my 5th graders.

Ever read Jeff Shaara's The Rise to Rebellion and The Glorious Cause?  They're about the events leading up to the American Revolution and about the war itself.  They are excellent historical fiction, mostly fact-based.  I learned more about this subject than I ever did in school, and my husband did too (he's British) . . . and now knows more about our country's beginning than many Americans I know!

Jeff Shaara is perhaps better known for Gods and Generals, which I believe he finished for his father, Michael Shaara (after his death), and which was made into the well-known recent movie about the US Civil War.

I highly recommend these two books.  They make history come alive as your school teachers never could!

Diane
"Give me liberty or  Smiley!!!"

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -- Bill Watterson (1958 - ), cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

IP Logged

PatM
Experienced Poster

Reply #22 - May 28th, 2004 at 10:46pm

So, is it PLayboy or the American Revolution????Count me in.....I'll read just about anything!!!  Love the idea of the book club.......PatM  Give me  Smiley or  Smiley Smiley

psmartinlaw  
IP Logged

PatM
Experienced Poster

Reply #23 - May 28th, 2004 at 10:47pm

wow--I just did somthing the right way for the very first time......P

psmartinlaw  
IP Logged

CmolikB
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Coquitlam, Canada, canada, 68, 368, BC, British_Columbia
Reply #24 - Jun 7th, 2004 at 10:59pm

Well I am sad to see Tampa Bay win the cup but Dave Anderchuck deserves it.  I cry for the Calgary Flames.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge