Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Get together in the Northeast! (Read 9885 times)
DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Get together in the Northeast!
Mar 23rd, 2004 at 6:44pm

Pat posted this in the "get together" thread, but I wanted to post it in a thread of it's own so I could "sticky" it to the top of the board.

I hope as many people as possible can make it!  Pat, THANK YOU for offering to do this!   Wink

PatM wrote on Mar 22nd, 2004 at 9:15pm:
Smiley Smiley
 Hi everyone!  Well, I have comunicated with DJ already about my idea to have a get together with fellow "Moyamoyers" (this is a new phrase that I have coined....) And, this is my plan....on SUNDAY, AUGUST 29TH, 2004, from 11:30am until 5:00pm, all "moyamoyers" and their families are invited to my home in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey (about 25 miles from New York City) for a fantastic brunch, and I mean fantastic.....bagels, lox, omelette stations, eggs, bacon, sausage, croissants, fruit salad, pancakes, french toast.....basically, the works!!  This would be rain or shine.....I will have a tent set up and tables anc chairs, etc.  I have just 2 conditions....First, I will request that each person who is attending, including any children, pay $2.50 to help defray the cost of the brunch.  Second, I would ask that each person bring one non-perishable food item or household supply item that would be donated to the Helping Hands Food Pantry at my local church, Hillsdale United Methodist Church.

I live in beautiful, country like Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey on a 1 acre property.   Within 2 1/2 miles of my home are both the Woodcliff Lake Hilton and the Park Ridge Marriott, as well as a Holiday Inn in Montvale, New Jersey.  I will check out hotel rates and hopefully, if there is enough interest, I will be able to work out group discount rates (like they do for weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, etc.)  The Hilton and the Marriott also have pools, health spas/workout rooms, etc.  

This day will coincide with a day of celebration of my recuperation from EDAS surgery.  I have my first surgery on the right  side of my brain on April 16th, and the second for the left side in mid to end of June.

I am very active in my local church and serve as the Vice-Chairman of the Board of Trustees.  Our local church service begins at 10:00am and then, in lieu of our usual coffee/fellowship hour after worship service, I am inviting our entire congregation for brunch and fellowship.  The congregation of my prior church, Christ United Methodist Church in East Rutherford is invited as well.  Also, my friends from high school, drum corps, and law school, and their families will be there as well. And, we will have many singing groups and choirs performing.....it will be a very special day.....  I hope many moyamoyers and their families will be able to come....

I am also interested in starting a charitable, tax-exempt organization for moyamoya sufferers and their families to help raise awareness of this illness and the devastation it can cause..... My thoughts also include starting a fund for those people who can't afford to travel for necessary surgery or can't afford the surgery itself.......I will announce more about it at the gathering on August 29th.  I hope all of you wll come.....continue to have a positive attitude and faith in God or whatever higher power you believe in.....Let me know if you wil be coming and how many members of your family will come.  

As an aside, New York Presbyterian Hospital and the Neurological Institute is only a 30 minute ride from my house.......My neurologists Dr. Ralph Sacco and Dr. Ji Chong (212) 305-3710, and my neurosurgeon is Dr. E. Sander Connolly (212) 305-0376 (his secretary's name is Pat and she is extremely nice and knowledgeable).  Perhaps, those of you who need a consultation or second opinion can schedule an appointment with their offices at the Neurological Institute to coincide with the time that you will spend here attending the moyamoya brunch......So, please e-mail me or post any responses.  God Bless all of you.

And, everyone please e-mail my brilliant sister, Diane Main, and tell her that she and her husband, Alex, and my beautiful 2 month old nephew MUST COME......P.S. to my sis-----Peak----Patti and the Speaketones will probably be making a guest appearance.......so, be there, girl.....

Smiley Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2004 at 6:45pm by DJ »  

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

babyblue
Senior Poster

Diagnosed 2003

kennesaw, USA, usa, 417, 219, GA, Georgia
Re: Get together in the Northeast!
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2004 at 10:37pm

cant wait. me and mom will plan on being there to attend. sounds like alot of fun and we are excited about getting together with everyone. i hope others can make it would love to meet everyone.

Christy and Diane
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2004 at 10:38pm by babyblue »  

"Life is not a desination, but a journey!"

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2004 at 11:10am

Pat, that is so generouse of you!!!! It sounds wonderful!! I will talk it over with my family I would love to come and meet all these amazing people I have heard about.I would love for everyone to meet my little HERO Kathleen.She is quite an inspiration.This disease has really thrown her some curves but not enought to keep her down.
   What you are planning is amazing! I would love to help if I can. I have always wanted to do something to help other families but just unsure of what, and where to start.Let me know if I can do something please. I'll get back to you on the "get together" Thanks again and know that you will be in our prayers.
Mary Grace
RGrace5@aol.com

rgrace5  
IP Logged

PatM
Experienced Poster

Woodcliff Lake, USA, usa, 498, 109, NJ, New_Jersey
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2004 at 4:35pm

;Grin  Hi everyone----just so I can get an idea of how many people intend to come to our get together on August 29th, please post a reply on this site and let me know how many of your family members will be coming---how many children and how many adults------I hope everyone can make it----I promise that it will be a really big event......you can also e-mail me directly if you prefer at psmartinlaw@aol.com.  thanks.  Be well, everyone....PatM

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."...Jackie Robinson&&Worry looks around....Faith looks up......
psmartinlaw  
IP Logged

Annica
Experienced Poster

My daughter lives with
mm

Stockholm, Sweden, europe, 317, 154
Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2004 at 9:43am

Hi PatM and everybody!

I would so much like to come to the get together with my daughter Louise but I probably canīt make it. In the first place itīs a long trip for us and Louise doesnīt speak English yet (though I know kids are very good at communicating with each other in spite of different languages) and in the second place we canīt make it on August 29th for several reasons.
I am so jealous of you people living on the same continent which makes it easy for you to communicate with each other and even see one another every now and then. On the other hand Iīm so happy I found this site - makes me feel less lonely about this moyamoya issue.
PatM youy must be a fantastic person to offer to arrange this get together and I hope you take a lot of pictures and perhaps DJ can put it out on the board afterwards? It would be so good to see you all.

Take care everybody and have a fantastic time at the get together!!!!! I will be with you in my thoughts!

Annica  Cry

IP Logged

sandy
New Poster

three of my children have
mm

asheboro, USA, usa, 469, 186, NC, North_Carolina
Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 11:15pm

i would love to be there the kids and i always take off to Boston by ourselves for our yearly check ups and that is a dreaded trip so this trip will be something to look forward to i cant wait to meet oter moyamoya families i have felt so alone until a couple of days ago. i cant explain the excitment i feel knowing there are so many other out there i love you guys and havent even had time to really chat with yall i cant wait to meet yall good luck and god bless all of you

IP Logged

PatM
Experienced Poster

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 11:23am

Hi Sandy---glad to hear that you and the children (how many do you have? and how old are they?) will be with us on August 29th.  There will be special events for the children, like a magician, their own jukebox and dance floor, and a moonwalk type of contraption (where they can jump around)....also, welcome to our moyamoya family.....it is a very supportive group.......we have some fantastic choirs singing (at least 5, including a children's choir that my 4 year old sings in) and, my former secretary (who is Jewish and has a wonderful voice) will be  singing inspirational songs....and we have a contemporary Christian rock band, too.  So, all in all, it will be a wonderful day.  And to all of you moyamoyers out there who are coming, please remember to bring one non-perishable food item or house hold item per person for the Helping Hands Food Pantry which is at my local church.....also, please let me know how many people are coming by e-mailing me or just posting on the website, and the names and ages.  We're using my next-door neighbors yard, too, so we will have two full acres on which to have a really great time.....I look forward to meeting all of you.  And, I have already contacted some local hotels (all within 2 miles of my house) to arrange for group discount rates...so let me know if you need accomodations on Saturday the 28th or Sunday the 29th, or both dates.......God Bless us all. PatM

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."...Jackie Robinson&&Worry looks around....Faith looks up......
psmartinlaw  
IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 12:44pm

Pat -

I can't believe your planning this all just out of surgery!!  You Go Girl!!  God Bless you!  Ok - give me the specifics!  What time are you calling this for?  I only live about 2 hours away so I'll probably just drive up.  Just me - my family is busy at the shore!  Thanks for the info!

-Shari Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

ariannasmommy
Experienced Poster

^i^Angel Arianna^i^

Herrin, USA, usa, 361, 171, IL, Illinois
Reply #8 - May 5th, 2004 at 5:18pm

I think this is a very generous offer from you, especially right out of surgery.  I so very much would like to come, but funds probably won't allow it.  Just so much this year.  If there is anyway tho, there would be three of us.  I will try, but no promises.
You are amazing.  Good luck.

Tammy Carter
munbby2004  
IP Logged

fairbanks
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

cleveland, USA, usa, 425, 124, OH, Ohio
Reply #9 - May 17th, 2004 at 10:31am

Hi everyone I would love to go to this get together but I don't have any funds so I will have to miss out on this great event
Fairbanks

IP Logged

joni_h
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Spokane, USA, usa, 90, 43, WA, Washington
Reply #10 - May 27th, 2004 at 12:44am

My mom just told me this evening that her and my dad want to come out and visit me in WV in July or August.  How wonderful it would be if they came at the end of August and we could come!!  I will check out my school schedule and run it by the folks and see what they think.  If anything I will come even if they are not able to make it.  I can't wait to meet all of you!!

Joni  ;Grin

IP Logged

PatM
Experienced Poster

Reply #11 - May 27th, 2004 at 8:37am

Joni---I am so happy to hear that you are coming.....and so happy to hear that your Mom and Dad are thinking of coming as well....just let me know, hopefully, by the beginning of July, exactly how many people are coming....Gald to have you as part of our mm family.....With kindest regards and best wishes.  PatM

psmartinlaw  
IP Logged

PatM
Experienced Poster

Reply #12 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 11:42am

Hello all-----I have been away for a while........If you are coming to the Get together in the northeast at my home in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey, and you need accomodations for the night of August 28th, reduced rate accomodations are available at the Holiday Inn, Montvale, New Jersey at 100 Chestnut Ridge road, Montvale NJ 07645......Phone # is 201-391-7700, Fax # is 201-391-6648; Web address is www.holidayinnmontvale.com and e-mail is holidayinnfrang@aol.com PLEASE CONTACT THEM BY NO LATER THAN AUGUST  1ST SO THAT I HAVE AN IDEA OF WHO HAS RESERVED ROOMS.

You should ask for Francesca Giordano at x174 and say you are with the moyamoya group so that you get the reduced rate.......     Please e-mail me at psmartinlaw@aol.com to let me know that you are coming and how many members of your family will attend.....Thanks, Pat Smiley

psmartinlaw  
IP Logged

hillary
Senior Poster

My daughter Holly has
MM

new braunfels, USA, usa, 279, 285, TX, Texas
Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 11:43am

Pat,

Holly and I would of loved to come but we will be in California that weekend for her 3month follow up tests and appt.

We wish you all the best and look forward to hearing how it went

Hillary

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

Đ2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge