Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Neuro Psych Testing (Read 10546 times)
tiomasai
Experienced Poster

Arriba Arriba!

Queens, NY,
Neuro Psych Testing
May 8th, 2005 at 10:27pm

I hadn't heard the fly and tree one?  I did neuro psych testing at Columbia and then again last Monday at Stanford and I got a lot of similar questions (but not the fly and tree one). 

That's kinda crazy -- I have no idea the answer to that one (then again, I still don't know the speed of light and even looked it up after the first time I did testing and still don't have an answer - does anyone?!).  Of course, the fly/tree doesn't surprise me -- remember the 'what's missing from the picture' testing?  The very first one is supposedly the water not coming from the pitcher into the glass - and in my book, WHO THE HECK IS HOLDING THE PITCHER?  I still insist it's the hand that's missing.  Wink  Of course, it's not as bad as those subjective questions like why do we pay the govt taxes and what not?!

Trina

IP Logged

shgr
Experienced Poster

Diagnosed December 2003

raleigh, USA, usa, 469, 184, NC, North_Carolina
Re: Neuro Psych Testing
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 2:40pm

Trina,
  I found out yesterday that I will have this testing at Stanford, at the end of this month.  I was curious what the testing would involve.  I have no idea what the speed of light is......sounds like I am going to fail this test! Undecided

Thanks for the insight,
Stephanie

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all. Dale Carnegie

IP Logged

Greg-NJ1
Experienced Poster

Mis-diagnosed with MM
in 2005, arterial restricion

Teaneck, NJ
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 4:40pm

I guess that I need to admit that I am an engineering geek (hence all of the spelling mistakes in my posts)....

The speed of light is.... 299,792,458 meters/second or 186,282.4 miles/second...

Please....please....do not remember this....its not worth the brain space....is, FAST...REALY FAST good enough

Regards,
Greg

I was misdiagnosed with MM in March of 2005. In January 2006, I was told it is not MM, but rather a massive restriction in the MC1 segment of my left carotid artery.

IP Logged

itsme
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

aliso viejo, USA, CA, California
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 7:49pm

Hi guys,

I'll be taking this test before & after the 21st SOOOOOO,
are there answers you want to give us? HAHA. I know
I'm going to fall hard on this one too. I hate tests for ONE and I don't know if my MOYA can handle any more
stress..."thinking" sometimes is such a hassle.
BTW Greg, thanks to the answer to the speed of light, if there's any 1 answer I will pass it's that one, cause I'm going to take it with me also THE WATER & THE PITCHER.

LOL,
itsme

IP Logged

Rena
Senior Poster

Hi, My son Tyler was diagnosed
with MM in 2003

, Colorado, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 8:23pm

Maybe the ask the speed of light question to see if you retain info that isn't related to what you need to know for your life??? I could never memorize the speed of light, but would say faster than a blink of an eye....lol.

I have never had these test, but if there is a pitcher pouring nothing and no hand on it I would say the hand is missing too. How would you know there is suposed to be water in the pitcher??? It could have just emptied or not be tipped enough to have the water coming out.

As far as the fly and the tree, I have to say they are both living, but I don't know if that is the answer they are looking for. Boy I'm glad I don't have to take the test....lol

I've learned to never underestimate the impossible. -Blake Sheldon-&&There are no failures, just options tried. -Thomas Edison-&&
http://www.facebook.com/wldrtst?v=wall&story_fbid= oneofakindco  
IP Logged

tiomasai
Experienced Poster

Arriba Arriba!

Queens, NY,
Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 8:34pm

Good reply Rena - I thought the same thing.  I always wondered if they were trick questions or if some questions were meant for us to not answer (and in the case of the speed of light I would throw out random answers like E=mc2 for the heck of it). 

Stephanie and Itsme -- you have nothing to worry about.  You are not being graded here.  Wink  You are just being tested on your abilities before and after surgeries.  The important thing is to determine if there is any change.  I got my results back when I returned from Stanford and it was pretty much what I expected.  You take analytic tests, verbal tests and analogy tests etc.  You don't get any pen and paper to use unless instructed.   You'll find many of the questions with answers that are debatable and I'm realizing the more time I take, the worse off I am.  Time is a factor in most of the tests.  So my advice would be to go with your instinct. 

Good luck!

Trina

IP Logged

shgr
Experienced Poster

Diagnosed December 2003

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 12:19am

Thank you for that advice.  I will probably be so nervous about the surgery that I will care less about how I do on a silly test.  My first surgery is, I think a week after itsme's surgery...June 29th. Then if they find that the MM has progressed to my left side, then I will have a second surgery (direct bypass) on July 6th. 
  I think I am worrying about silly things, like the neuro psych test, so I do not think about the surgeries.  I know the STA-MCA surgery tends to be successful, but it is hard to not be very scared.  I think I am just projecting my anxiety. 
Thank you again for your advice  8)
Stephanie

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all. Dale Carnegie

IP Logged

moyamoi
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 4:16am

Hi Stephanie,
Just to reassure you - I had the STA-MCA bypass surgeries to both sides in June and November 2001, and have been fine ever since. Actually saw my neurosurgeon yesterday and he is very happy with the results. I still get occasional headaches but not as often as before the surgery.
So I think you will be fine and please don't worry too much about it. Good luck
Moira

IP Logged

shgr
Experienced Poster

Diagnosed December 2003

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 11:26am

Moira,
What reassuring words you write me...thank you so much! Cheesy
Stephanie

IP Logged

Seachelles
Old-Time Poster

God never gives us more
than we can handle.

Fredericksburg, USA, usa, 474, 157, VA, Virginia
Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 2:16pm

Ok......you've got me started again in this neuro psyche test again. 

Where is Mark when I need him?  Do any of you remember the sheet of paper where you are given the 4 different pictures and you have to draw them from memory?  They let you look at a card for 5 seconds and then take it away and you draw the picture.  Then at the end of the whole psyche test they give you a sheet of paper and you have to draw the pictures from memory without being shown any pictures.  I am proud to say that I just sat down and drew all the pictures from memory.   Smiley  Just thought it would be neat to see if I could do it and remember them.    LOL!  If Mark was here, I'd race him and beat him this time.  Wink

Michelle

Michelle
Chelles4U Chelles4U  
IP Logged

itsme
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

aliso viejo, USA, CA, California
Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 6:44pm

Hi Shgr,

So I may be able to see you when I get the staples out.
Hmmmm, I will ask Teresa if you, don't mind. My daughter will be there for an MRI on the 1st to see if she has MM syndrome, since she has been suffering with
Migraines since 3....so, if all goes well, I may drop by.

Don't worry I know how you feel but with the support from our MM FAMILY, nothing will go wrong. If I don't do well on the Psch test, I will blame it on the MOYA any way~

Have a great weekend guys,
LOL,
itsme

IP Logged

tiomasai
Experienced Poster

Arriba Arriba!

Queens, NY,
Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 6:58pm

Michelle:

How did you get answers?  That's awesome that you did the pics by memory!  I couldn't remember those for the life of me.  I also couldn't get the adminstrator to tell me if I was wrong or right most of the time.  Sad

Trina

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Honolulu, USA, usa, 376, 346, HI, Hawaii
Reply #12 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 2:08pm

My neuro is having me take a NEUROPSYCH TEST for the first time (3 years after my surgery).  I wasn't quite sure what it was, but after reading the comments above, I'm not sure I'd share my 'score' with people...  i.e. "Speed of Lightning?"  Undecided

Just wondering, how often are these tests given?  or is it at the neurologist's discretion?  Smiley  As long as there are no needles involved, I should be okay.  Although, I am worried that it may cause me to get a headache...Sometimes thinking too "deeply" will induce  Embarrasseda headache...

Thanks,Shan

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Reply #13 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 2:09pm

p.s. How long are these tests?
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2008 at 2:09pm by Shan »  

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

Seachelles
Old-Time Poster

God never gives us more
than we can handle.

Fredericksburg, USA, usa, 474, 157, VA, Virginia
Reply #14 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 2:23pm

Shan

If you take them at Stanford they are either all morning or all afternoon.  And it's the most draining thing you have to do in my opinion.  My brain is usually so exhausted by the time I get out of it, that I don't want to do anything else for the rest of the day. 

I have to do mine as well for my 3 year follow-up.  I'm not looking forward to it at all.  Mine is in September.  Good luck on your tests!

Michelle
Chelles4U Chelles4U  
IP Logged

Emily
Senior Poster

Diagnosed Oct 2005. Direct
bypasses: Nov 05 Apr

Brisbane, Australia
Reply #15 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 12:31am

i love these tests! so much fun! although every neuropsychologist would probably have slightly different tests? i dont remember those q's on mine anyway.. i had lots of problem solving and memory and organisation tests/ questions... fun!

WWW rubygrapefruit https://www.facebook.com/emily.pip  
IP Logged

EmilysMom
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Charlotte, USA, NC, North_Carolina
Reply #16 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 9:12am

My six year old was given a neuro psych test this past spring. She ended up with only a 74 for her score. I'm wondering if there are other kids that have taken this test and scored low the first time then taken it a year later and scored much better?
Thanks,
Lori

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Reply #17 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 5:21pm

Thanks for the replies  ;Grin  I guess it all depends on each individual...from "draining"...to "fun!"  lol  Cheesy  Well, I honestly don't look forward to it~Memory?  I can't even remember what I ate for dinner last night!
But once again, thanks to this website, It's comforting to know that others have gone before me and are able to share their personal experiences with all of us!  Wink  I truly appreciate it! Who knows, maybe I'll finally get to prove to my husband that I am at Rocket Science Caliber!  Wink  Lips Sealed  Ha ha ha....

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic.  (And also for the answer to what the speed of light is!  It would actually blow my neuropsychologist away if I answered that question correctly, huh?!  Smiley)

Take care,
Shan
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2008 at 7:57pm by Shan »  

IP Logged

lflores
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

addison, USA, IL, Illinois
Reply #18 - Aug 2nd, 2008 at 7:41pm

Shan
Just wondering what part of Hawaii you live in?  I used to live in Honolulu about 25 yrs ago. I loved it.  But had to move back to Chicago for family reasons.

Linda

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Reply #19 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 1:17pm

WESSSSSSSSSSTSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE  Wink
(check your email)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge