Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Please help.... (Read 13575 times)
DHuynh
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

charlotte, USA, NC, North_Carolina
Please help....
May 19th, 2008 at 1:18am

I.... like most people on here... am unfimiliar with this disease. I've just discovered it when we found out that my mom had it. I live in Charlotte NC. The doctors here doesn't know anything about the disease except for what they found out on the internet. Same as I. My mom is only 57 but it's really taking a toll on her. She has been in the hospital ever since it was discovered. First the docs said they would be able to do a bypass, then they said they wouldn't. It's been taking a toll on all of us.... especially my dad...who has been back and forth to work and to the hospital everyday. What I am looking for is any information of a Doctor that is an expert in the disease in or near North Carolina. My mom isn't able to travel because she is bed ridden. I feel that I owe it to my family and my mom to try and find the best people for her. It's hard to see my dad talk about her illness and cry about it. Pretty much my whole family does. It's just frustrating not knowing what to do and having the docs telling you that there isn't anything they can do either. I refuse to see my mom die and not know if there is anything I can do to help her. We haven't told her that the doctors said she is inoperable. It would hurt and scare her too much.... to know that she's slowly dying. So please give me any information that could help. Thank everyone before hand and God Bless you all. ---Danny

IP Logged

bhb
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Bleakwood, USA, usa, 313, 273, TX, Texas
Re: Please help....
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2008 at 2:31am

Danny, my wife has MM also and she is also 57. I don't know of any surgeons in your area, but there two wonderful surgeons one is Dr. James E. Rose @ Methodist hospital in Houston Tx. He preformed the bypass surgerys on my wife.
Dr. Gary K Steinburg @ Stanford Ca. he has preformed bypass surgerys on most
of the people on this site. Please contact one of them and send your moms info.
ASAP. Bless you and your family.

Bobby (bhb)

IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

My brother Kevin (Cubbie)
has Moyamoya

Delaware, USA, usa, 419, 133, OH, Ohio
Reply #2 - May 19th, 2008 at 7:23am

Hi Danny and welcome to the MM family,

I know how frighening it can be to receive a diagnosis of MM and have no doctor familiar with the disease. I know as this happened to my brother.  We live in Ohio and I got him to Stanford where he was treated by Dr. Steinberg.  He had two strokes and a dissected right upper internal carotid artery so I know there is hope and it is a matter of moving forward as soon as possible.

Not knowing all the specifics about your mom's current medical state, my immediate suggestion to you is the same as Bobby since I am unfamiliar with any MM expert in your area.  I would go a step farther and suggest to your mom's doctor to contact Dr. Steinberg at Stanford University today via telephone and see if Dr. Steinberg can recommend a Neuro Surgeon in your area to treat your mom ASAP or depending on your mom's current medical condition and state, if he would suggest life flighting your mom to Stanford or another facility closer who can treat your mom ASAP.

Dr. Steinberg's  phone number in California is (650) 723-5575 and his fax number is (650) 723-2815.

Hang in there and know that we are here to support you and your family in anyway we can. Please ask any questions and keep us posted on your progress with getting your mom treated ASAP.

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,

Lore

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2008 at 11:35am

Hi Danny,

Welcome to our family. I’m sorry to hear about your Mom, but sadly we hear about this kind of situation all too often. Unfortunately many doctors in the medical community just don’t have enough knowledge and experience with this rare disease. The good news is, this is a very treatable disease with the proper approach. I don’t know your Mom’s specifics, but I do know that there is hope if you get a doctor and staff that have experience treating this disease. That’s the key to success!

I agree with Lore & Bobby's advice 100%. You must get a doctor’s opinion that has experience with this type of situation. There are only TWO MM specisalists in the country who deal with this disease on a daily basis and Dr. Steinberg is one of those experts. He has done over 500 successful surgeries. Many mail their films to him at Stanford for his expert opinion. You can’t go wrong getting a second opinion; it’s very wise when dealing with a rare disease, and Stanford is one of the largest moyamoya referral centers in the world.

I don’t know if you viewed this Stanford video under Links on the website, but if not, this may be helpful in understanding MMD as well.

Stanford video – Moyamoya Disease
http://www.moyamoya.com/stanfordvideo/moyamoya2.wmv

You have to be very proactive in getting the proper help for your Mom. As I’ve said a hundred times before to new members, anyone who has had successful treatment for MM had to fight for it in some way, either over insurance issues or the doctors ego’s, etc. But you must fight to get the proper care!!

In my family’s case, we listened to the doctors here in Philly and waited for treatment and my 20 year old niece had 4 severe strokes. We didn’t know this is a progressive disease and that it gets worse over time. So after advice from DJ and this website, we over-nighted her films and got a second opinion from Dr. Steinberg. He said she needed surgery immediately; she had a severe blockage on both sides of her brain. She too was bed ridden. She was in a coma, paralyzed and on a feeding tube, but when she was stable, we had her medically air lifted to CA and Dr. Steinberg saved her life. The doctors around here just didn’t have the experience as is in your case and it's vital for success.

Please know you’re not alone. We have wonderful people here who have been down this same road and will help you in any way we can.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mar

IP Logged

DHuynh
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2008 at 4:41pm

Thank you all for the responses. I already feel close to the members of this site. I just don't want my mom to past and me not knowing if I'd exhausted all my resources to try and help her. Thanks again.

IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

has Moyamoya

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2008 at 6:44pm

Danny,

Bless you.  You are a good Son.

Just remember what Mar said that this disease is treatable given the proper approach.  At this point, I would concentrate on getting your mom a second opinion from a MM expert like Dr. Steinberg ASAP.

Please keep us posted.  We want to know you are OK and we want to know that your mom is getting help.

Hang in there and know we are here to support you through this journey.

Hugs,

Lore

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

shgr
Experienced Poster

Diagnosed December 2003

raleigh, USA, usa, 469, 184, NC, North_Carolina
Reply #6 - May 19th, 2008 at 8:41pm

Hi!
I just want to agree with what everyone is saying  and tell you that I live in Raleigh, NC.  I went to Stanford for my surgeries.  I was treated prior to surgery by the head of the stroke clinic at UNC-CH hospital.  His name is Souvik Sen.  Best wishes to your family and know that you are in many people's thoughts and prayers.

Take care,
Stephanie

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all. Dale Carnegie

IP Logged

Skay
Junior Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Evansdale, USA, usa, 323, 119, IA, Iowa
Reply #7 - May 19th, 2008 at 10:19pm

Hi Danny,
   Welcome to the mm family. I am sorry to hear about your mom and I send my prayers to her and your family. I fould out I had mm when I was 51. I am now 56. Don't give up hope. As everyone has told you there is hope. I was lucky enought to find doctors in my state of Iowa were knowledgeable about mm. I had bypass surgery in 2003. I agree with the rest of the group that Dr. Steinburg is the best. Please keep us up to date.
   Take care and God Bless,  Sharon

hotdog  
IP Logged

fierh
New Poster

Lebanon, USA, usa, 435, 173, VA, Virginia
Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2008 at 12:39pm

I live in SW Virgina and had my surgery at UVA in Charlottesville. My drs at UVA had heard of MM and the surgeon had done about 10 surgeries for it.  And that was ten yrs ago.   Have u contacted anybody at Duke?

IP Logged

EmilysMom
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Charlotte, USA, NC, North_Carolina
Reply #9 - May 23rd, 2008 at 9:48am

I live in Charlotte, NC also. My daughter has Moyamoya and had surgery in June 06. I would be more than happy to help you with any questions. Have you tried Dr. Joe Bernard at Carolina Neurosurgery and Spine for your Mom?

IP Logged

tomg
Experienced Poster

West and wewaxsation at
wast. What I crave.

HowellNJ, USA, usa, 499, 119, NJ, New_Jersey
Reply #10 - May 23rd, 2008 at 8:07pm

Smiley   Hi Danny,  My name is Tom and I live in New Jersey.  I have MM but I have a friend in Charlotte NC with MM  She had her surgery quite a while ago by Dr. Craig Vanderveer in Charlotte. I'm not sure where he works out of now but I'm sure she knows..  If you want to call her let me know and I'll ask her if it's OK.  Try asking your mother's neurologist,  I'm sure that he can locate him.  His reputation is very good and has done this type of surgery for quite a while. 

Take care and good luck   Tom G. Cheesy

IP Logged

DHuynh
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 12:47am

Sorry I haven't been on here lately.... so much has gone by. In response to one of the members on here... Dr. Bernard is one of the doctors that originally saw my mom. In the beginning he said that they would be able to perform a bypass but she'd have to recover from her strokes first. almost a month went by and she had to be readmitted back into the hospital and his team said that they wasn't able to do surgery but never really gave me a definite answer as to why. One of the other doctors I asked told me that they said something about she wasn't a good candidate. That was when I got on here and found out about Dr. Stienberg from Stanford. I contacted his staff and got them the information needed. Sent them her scans for review last friday before Memorial Day. The following Tuesday I didn't hear anything back so I decided to contact them a few more times without any luck. I couldn't get anyone to return my emails or phone calls. I don't understand why they couldn't just call me. Even if they couldn't perform the surgery... to just call and let me know. It hurts me to let everyone know that on Friday May 30 2008 at 12 pm my mom was released from the hospital with Hospice because the doctors feel they couldn't do anything else for her. Saturday May 31 2008 in the early morning hours her organs began to reject the nourishments being given to her by tube feeding. This is when your stomache shuts down and sends the nourishments to the next biggest organs which is the lungs (signs of the body dying). This can cause you to suffocate to death. So the feeding had to stop completely. It was hard for all of my family to watch her gasp for air. Smaller gasps as time went. I coundn't believe how many prescriptions she was sent home with. It took me 3-1/2 hours to fill them all. Sunday June 1 2008 and 6:55pm. My mom took her last breath. I have to stop here.... it hurts too much right now......

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 8:43am

I’m so very sorry for your loss Danny. I couldn’t possibly have any words of comfort; all I have is a heart that cares and it’s breaking for you right now. I can’t even imagine your pain, God love ya and comfort you!
All I know is the way I handle a heartbreaking story like this, is spiritually, believing that sometimes no matter how hard we try, we can’t always fix things, because ultimately, it isn't in our hands, it’s always been in His hands. He sees the bigger picture and I have to trust and believe in that, and not lean on my own understanding.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Smiley

Mar

IP Logged

MrsDeej
YaBB Administrator

My life is what I make
it....and it's beautiful!

Wichita, KS
Reply #13 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 10:27am

Danny,

I am SO sorry for your loss.  Please know you can reach out to ANY of us during this time,  we are family here.

Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2008 at 5:24pm by MrsDeej »  

Live everyday as if it were your last, ALWAYS say 'I love you' when leaving someone dear to your heart and NEVER go to bed angry!
WWW MrsDeej MrsDeej 1514951301  
IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

has Moyamoya

Reply #14 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 12:12pm

Hi Danny,

My sincere condolences to you and your family for your loss.

I know you worked hard to get your mom the proper care she needed and deserved and you are to be commended for your hard work and effort. Not everyone would have done what you did to see to it that your mom got the best possible care. You did everything you could given the circumstances.

I hope you find some comfort in knowing we are here for you and we want to support and help you anyway we can, so please don't hesitate to reach out to any of us at any time. 

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Hugs,

Lore

IP Logged

cass/kate
Experienced Poster

Daughter Kate has moyamoya.

Dallas, USA, usa, 270, 251, TX, Texas
Reply #15 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 5:13pm

Dear Danny -

We are SO sorry to hear of the loss of your mom.  You and your family are on my heart and in our prayers.  Please let me know if I can do anything to help.  We are here.

Smiley

Cass, Kate and Jon in Dallas, Texas

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Freeland, USA, usa, 51, 28, WA, Washington
Reply #16 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 6:16pm

I'm sorry, Danny. I know there is nothing I can do to help, but my heart is saddened. You did all that you could, you're a good son.
Kim

IP Logged

DHuynh
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:57am

I like to extend my gratitude to everyone on here. I am sorry we have to be on here. I do feel that my mom is in a better place and I am glad that she doesn't have to suffer anymore but it doesn't make the pain any less. I feel that there could of been something more I should have done. Last night I saw my dad laying on the couch. It was a little after midnight. Normally he would be up in his room sleeping early, no later then 10. I knew how he felt. Her belongings are still in there. Just too much memories. So today.... I am home alone. I try to bring myself to maybe help him out and clear some of her stuff out. But as I went into their room and sat in the spot on her bed where she sleeps.... my emotions got hold of me and I started crying and couldn't  do it. So I went to my room and came onto here. I feel that besides my family.. you guys would understand the most how I feel right now. Oh yesterday my sisters went through some of her clothes to find her something to be buried in.... and we came across some  money envelopes that each one of her kids gave her for mothers day a year ago. My sisters broke down and cried. Our moms been in the hospital for about 3 months. She had to spend mothers day and her birthday in the hospital. She was born on May 5/57 and passed June 1/08 almost a month after her birthday. I guess that's the other part that is killing me inside. I try not to cry when my family is around cause I know that if I did they would break down too. But when I am alone.. I just can't help myself. Oh and shes' always wanted to come home. I think when she got to come home.... that's when she left us. I have to stop here for now. I can't type anymore........
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2008 at 12:04pm by DHuynh »  

IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

has Moyamoya

Reply #18 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 1:28pm

Danny,

I lost my mother in 2002 and my father died at a young age and died on my 26th birthday and I lost an older brother in 2004 so I do understand how you are feeling now.

It is only natural to ocsillate through all types of emotions at a time like this but please don't beat yourself up. You did everything you could do and you never gave up hope of getting your mom the best treatment.  It is obvious you loved and cared deeply for your mom and that you were very close and had a very special mother/son relationship.  You are the caring and thoughful son every mother would love to have.   

When my father died at the age of 52, as a result of melanoma cancer, I felt I could never go home again.  I would see my father's chair, the chair he always sat in, and it was empty. It was just never the same. The feeling is probably the same for you when you are trying to help your dad clear out your mom's belongings.  I had a really tough time with that too because it was a part of my dad and I had just lost my dad so how could I discard his belongings?  What I did was, I saved some things that had special memories for me like his watch and jewelry box. When I was growing up my dad would let me arrange the jewelry inside the box and let me put my own special jewelry in it for safe keeping. The box made me feel like I had a piece of my dad with me.  I did the same when my mother passed in 2002.  My father died in 1979. To this day, I still have that jewelry box. My mother was an artist and I have many things she personally made and painted. I feel like they are still close to me and live on in my memories.  You and your sisters may feel that the Mother's day money cards from a year ago is something you want to keep as a memory.

I hope this brings you some comfort in knowing you are not alone and many of us have traveled this road and we do share your feelings and know how painful the loss of a loved one is and how important it is to have support during time of grief.

Keep in mind MoyaMoya is a rare and progressive disease and if it is not diagnosed early and treated in a timely manner, the chances for a good outcome diminsh greatly. It is not your fault.  It is that the word about MoyaMoya has not reached the medical community like we would like it to.  As a group we have more work to do.   

Danny, I believe things happen for a reason.  We might not know the reason but I firmly believe there is a reason you found the MoyaMoya family. Perhaps it is for us to re-think how we promote MoyaMoya awareness to the medical community.   

The lesson learned for me from this is that there is still a lot of work to do in getting the word out about MoyaMoya the disease so that it is diagnosed early before strokes and hemorrage occur and before the chances for life diminsh greatly and that appropriate treatment options are performed and in a timely manner as well.

Please know our hearts are saddend with the passing of your mom and we too feel the pain of your loss and we are here to support you anyway we can. 

You and your dad and sisters are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,

Lore

IP Logged

moody
Experienced Poster

In all the thing I lost
I miss my mind the most.

richmond, USA, VA, Virginia
Reply #19 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 2:39pm

Dear Danny, I haven't check this site for awhile, I just read your post and I cry, I'm so sorry for your lost, my loving grandmother who is raise me pass when I was 16, and until this day I still thinking of her all the time and my grandfather is pass after he have Chistmas dinner with my family on 2003,so I know how you feel when the love one gone.  There is no words can be said to help you feel better, I just want you to know that I'm sadden for your loss, and I'm here if you need any help.  You and your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs
Kieu

Yesterday is past, tomorrow is future, today is the gift, that why we call it present.

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Kneeland, USA, 15, 113, C
Reply #20 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 5:43pm

Danny~

I'm in tears  of grief -- sending comfort  and love
to you and your family.

All the work you did to get help (and answears) for your mom was commendable.

I have mm and am your mothers age.

You'll never forget your mothe and these tough times. I hope you'll find solace as the years go by.

Love, Linda  (LA)

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

DHuynh
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 8:13pm

First off I'd like to say SORRY to everyone on here. I know you probably feel that I have abandoned you all since my mom passed. That isn't the case. I've j ust been busy trying to get all her arrangements completed and my personal stuff also. Finally got her grave site all taken care of.It's been about 2 months since her death. Everytime I go out there I can't stop tears from flowing. I always try to go alone so none of my family knows that it still kills me inside. I try try to be strong to give them support. I was out at my moms site today after I got home from work to make sure everything on her tombstone was correct. It just recently got finished. Not a day goes by that I don't think about my mom and can't help but feel that there should of been something more I could of done. My brother and his girl is having a baby due in October. She knew that he was having one. But it hurts me inside that she isn't going to be here to see him. Every since she died.....I've been out to her grave and asking her to come into my dreams and tell me if she is alright or if she needs me to do anything for her. She still haven't come to me yet but I am still hoping that one day she will. Thanks everyone for listening to me rave on and on. I will post more now that I am more free.

IP Logged

Audge
Experienced Poster

Daughter Emily has MM

Armada, USA, usa, MI, Michigan
Reply #22 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 12:44am

I know how you feel.  I lost my dad when he was 56 from a heart attack.  If I had called 911 for him he might have lived.  He didn't want me to call.  I felt guilty for a very long time.  There is nothing I could do to change it though.  My older brother died at age 47 in Oct. from pancreatic cancer.  The doctors didn't diagnose him until it was too late.  It's a nasty tricky cancer.  It will be hard for a long time.  Then it will be okay for awhile and then it will just hit you like it was the first day all over again.  So don't be sorry you haven't been here.  You will need time for yourself.  I had the dream experience too.  It was so awesome I knew my dad was okay.  It didn't happen right away though.  We are here for you.

IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

has Moyamoya

Reply #23 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 8:33am

Hi Danny,

So glad to hear from you again.  I saw and responded to your post about your mother's story and why someone shouldn't wait and  should get multiple opinions.

It takes time to heal and I know you did everything you could under the circumstances and you are a good son.

I mentioned before my father passed at the age of 52 from melanoma cancer and my older brother passed on his 52nd birthday due to complications from a heart attack.  The heartache and pain can be overwhelming at times and I think it is natural to wonder if we could have done something more for our loved one simply because we loved them and cared for them deeply and certainly didn't want to lose them.

I believe your mom is with you and watching you.  I also believe she knows how hard you tried to help her and what a terrific son you are. By sharing her story, you keep her memory alive while helping others benefit from your experience and help educate the medical community as well. You are a great support, inspiration and advocate to others diagnosed with Moyamoya and to their families through your experience with this disease.

I hope to see you on the board again soon.

Hugs,

Lore

Again, it is good to hear from you

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Honolulu, USA, usa, 376, 346, HI, Hawaii
Reply #24 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 1:16pm

Aloha Danny,

I just read your post, today, for the first time and am deeply saddened by the recent loss of your mother.  I also feel some guilt and anger towards myself for not seeing your post sooner--as I know of a wonderful and well experienced MM expert right in North Carolina where you are located!  I traveled to North Carolina from Hawaii to see Dr. Takanori Fukushima for my emergency double by-pass in 2005.  I only wish you were able to find his name in the list of surgeons in one of the other threads so you could've seeked his opinion as well.  I also apologize for you not hearing back from those you seeked opinions from.  You did the right thing by being proactive in trying to find answers to your mom's condition.  Whatever the reason was for your calls not being returned, I pray that through all of this experience, you leave any regret, guilt or anger behind and know that you were a great support and advocate for your mom.  You did what many others don't do.  You did not just sit and wait--

As Lore said, everything happens for a reason.  You also mentioned that she is in a better place.  We may not agree nor understand why it is our time to leave this earth, but through faith and obedience, we can all be together again someday.  We are all here on this earth "temporarily" and how we choose to live our lives here, will determine how we will live our life after this life... (okay, I'll stop preaching  Wink)

I miss my father who passed away 2 years ago to cancer--and like you--watched him in his last days at the hospice.  Just know that where your mom and my dad are now, there are no tubes, no pain and no worries. They are with us in spirit.

Thank you for continuing to keep in touch with us, your MM family, as I know it is not easy. We hope that we are able to provide you comfort and support during this time.  Stay strong & keep the faith!..and please stay in touch.  Smiley

Take care,
Shan
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2008 at 1:37pm by Shan »  

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge