Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Something to really be thankful for (Read 2996 times)
tomg
Experienced Poster

West and wewaxsation at
wast. What I crave.

HowellNJ, USA, usa, 499, 119, NJ, New_Jersey
Something to really be thankful for
May 22nd, 2005 at 7:41pm

Smiley   Just over 3 years ago my oldest son came down with a strange mystery illness when he was 15.  His symptoms were horrible pains in his legs and feet.  The pains became so bad that he actually said that he wanted to die.  We took him to about 8 of the best hospitals in the country including NY Presbyterian,  HUP ( hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and various hospitals around NJ.  After every test known to man,  No 2 doctors could agree on what he had as his condition worsened.  The pain was neuro pathic pain which is almost impossible to relieve.  He eventually became addicted to the super strong pain killers he was on and had to withdraw on a methadone program. 
     My son is 6ft 2 in. and his weight went from 175 down to 120.  We didn't know if he was going to make it or not.
     There was never a diagnosis and was told that we would probably never know what it was.  In all he was sick for 18 months and missed a whole year of highschool Cry   
Roll Eyes  Oh yeah, in the middle of this horror, I got my visit from mr. Moyamoya and suffered a major stroke.  I dont know how my wife did it.
     For the first week we were in the same hospital, Folling that we were in hospitals in different states, NJ & NY.
     I left the hospital after 4-5 months of rehab.  and using a cane went to visit my son who was still hospitalized.  Eventualy I could make the visit walking without a cane.
     Little by little my son got better without ever knowing what he had.
     Now 2years later being in an Italian family of great cooks, he looks great weighs 175-180 and is working out at a Gym Smiley

What prompted me to write this?  Well after a period of time when neither of us knew if we would survive, Last night I took pictures of my son and his date going to his senior prom. 8)  For this I truly thank God Cheesy
     Next month he will graduate and then go to Kutztown state university in Pa.

Sorry to be so long winded   Tom G

IP Logged

janicetedd
Experienced Poster

Sister - Patty w mm

Waterford, MI
Re: Something to really be thankful for
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2005 at 8:27pm

Tomg

We are truly blessed.   Thank you for sharing the story with us.  God bless you

Janice

IP Logged

babyblue
Senior Poster

Diagnosed 2003

kennesaw, USA, usa, 417, 219, GA, Georgia
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2005 at 10:41pm

What a journey it has been for you all! An amazing thing to celebrate with your son. I wish your son the best of luck as he heads to college i will hopefully finish college one day. Thanks for sharing!

Christy
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2005 at 10:42pm by babyblue »  

"Life is not a desination, but a journey!"

IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

Our daughter, Tara, lives
with MM

San Jose, USA, usa, 24, 158, CA, California
Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2005 at 1:15pm

Hi Tom,

I'm so glad to hear your son is better!  It's wonderful that he is now enjoying high school activities that many people take for granted.

Having a child with a serious illness is life-changing.  Speaking for us, we will never again take a single day for granted (and "all" we had come our way was MM).  Tara's senior prom was on 5/7 and we attended her Baccalaureate (sp?) service yesterday afternoon.  I didn't think it would hit me as hard as it did, but now believe that it was the beginning of a week of crying.  She graduates this Saturday.  I'm sure as parents we all ask where the last 18 years went, but we have been so very blessed.

Anyway, obviously you're a proud dad.  How wonderful that your son is now making plans for college!  I wish him every success, and it will be nice to hear updates about him.  Thanks for sharing, Tom.

Hugs from out west,
Jill

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

itsme
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

aliso viejo, USA, CA, California
Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2005 at 7:32pm

Wow, you don't know what you can "hit you" but
as long as the outcome is POSITIVE it's ALL GOOD. I'm
glad you are on the road to a full recovery and your son
is a new man.  STROKES suck but at least there is a way to treat it. Lets not worry about it again and live our life
the best way we can.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge