Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just wondering about some things.... (Read 2512 times)
wcurlyt
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

franklin, USA, KY, Kentucky
Just wondering about some things....
Jul 31st, 2005 at 7:19am

My father had moya moya.  He was one of the first known cases in the U.S.  He had a massive cereberal hemmorage when he was about 30, and they didn't know what caused it.  He didn't walk or talk until he was 5 years old and they think that may be why.  Anyway, being a mother now of a 2 year old I am worried what his risks would be is it passed though the family?  Could I be at risk later?  I can't really find that much info when it comes to that....   thanks,    Tonia

IP Logged

Seachelles
Old-Time Poster

God never gives us more
than we can handle.

Fredericksburg, USA, usa, 474, 157, VA, Virginia
Re: Just wondering about some things....
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2005 at 9:29am

Tonia,

First let me say welcome to our MM family.   Smiley  We are all glad you are here and were able to share your story with us. 

First, I should start off by saying the chances of MM being passed down to your son is about a 7% chance which isn't much.  I usually tell people that it's about as rare as having MM.  Anyway....on that note, we are suspecting that it's possible my brother might have moyamoya.  We certainly hope not, but it is a possibility.  He is working on getting an MRI done now. 

So....my advice is to definitely request an MRI through your doctor or a neurologist.  That would be the first step.  Does it look like he is having any symptoms?  I know it's hard to tell at that age.  It would never hurt to have the MRI done and then maybe keep checking him every couple of years, especially if he starts presenting with symptoms. 

Hope this helps and please do not hesitate to ask more questions.

Hugs,
Michelle

Michelle
Chelles4U Chelles4U  
IP Logged

Cindy
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Valparaiso, USA, IN, Indiana
Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 9:34pm

Just wondering if anyone out there knows anything about Dr. Charbel at UIC? Havind surgery next week and would like to hear something about him. Smiley

IP Logged

Cindy
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Valparaiso, USA, IN, Indiana
Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 9:11am

Cindy wrote on Aug 1st, 2005 at 9:34pm:
Just wondering if anyone out there knows anything about Dr. Charbel at UIC? Havind surgery next week and would like to hear something about him. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge