Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Update on Tammie (Read 8397 times)
joeblack357
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Groton, USA, CT, Connecticut
Update on Tammie
May 23rd, 2007 at 4:23pm

Hiya everyone, good to see you all again first of all.  Sorry we kind of fell of the face of the earth for a couple of years been kinda crazy. We moved twice, and I've changed jobs a couple of times.
    Tammie was diagnosed with a pair of aneurysms in the back of her head on Monday, and a coarctation of the aorta adjacent to an aneurysm due to a repair at age 6.  Dr. Steinberg emailed me back and will be looking at all of Tammie's Testing, and we have a follow up appointment with Dr. Woo on next Wednesday.  Here's hoping to the best, this ride is picking up speed in a hury.

Joe Shocked
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2007 at 9:27pm by joeblack357 »  

IP Logged

joeblack357
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Update on Tammie
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2007 at 5:21pm

Hi again everyone,
     Tammie had a follow up visit today with Dr. Woo at Cleveland Clinic.  She has surgery scheduled on June 11 to coil one of her aneurysms and he is going to take a closer look at the other and coil it if possible.  If he can't insert a coil into the second one then she will have surgery to remove it and Dr. Woo said she may very well have a minor stroke during the surgery.  He also identified what may be a third aneursym and is going to take a look at it.  He also scheduled  her for a STA-MCA bypass surgery on the right side on July 6 and an EDAS bypass on July 17.  We will follow up with Dr. Roselli after that to address her coarctation and thoracid aneurysm in her chest.  I've started the dueling dance with the insurance companies, and man do they get nervous when you ask to record conversations LOL.  Wishing for the best here and scared out of my mind, wish us the best of luck, and I will keep everyone updated.

Joe

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #2 - May 30th, 2007 at 7:30pm

Wow What a lot going on for you guys.How are you keeping it all straight? I will certainly keep you all in my prayers through all of this.Thanks for the update.Good luck with the insurance.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

joeblack357
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 8:01pm

Heya Everyone,
     Just getting a chance to get an update to you, been busy the last couple of days.  Tammie had two of her aneurysms coiled on monday and was home yesterday with no complications. YAY, but they verified the third aneurysm and found a fourth.  The way I figure is that we waited to long to address her moya moya and the elevated blood pressure and flow through the back of her head has caused the aneurysms so for any of you even thinking about taking the wait and see approach this is the least of what you are in for.  Dr. Woo said that the other two aneurysms are not inoperable, but that if he operates on them it will be a very high risk surgery for two small aneursyms, so he wants to wait and monitor them.  We will keep you updated as to her bypass surgery progress.  Thanks for all the support.

Joe

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 11:18pm

Hi Joe,

Glad to hear all went well. Please know Tammie will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers and we'll be right there with her in spirit.

You hang in there! Keeping you in my heart as well.

Mar

IP Logged

joeblack357
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 12:49am

Hiya again everyone.  Just a quick update for everyone it's almost 1 am here and I have to be up early.  Tammie had her first surgery on Friday and is doing great.  Dr. Woo, Dr. Kelly (on fellowship from Stanford works with Dr. Steinberg) and the team did a great job.   Tammie's MCA was narrower than expected so her surgery took 6.5 hours and she was slow to come out from the anesthesia, but she's doing great.  They are going to discharge her today, so she'll have a whole 8 days at home before we head back for her left side surgery on the 17th.  She had a small TIA on the left side (non surgery side) that lasted about 1-2 min after waking up.  Other than that she has had no other problems.  I'll update you again as the week goes on.  Thank you all again for all of the support.

Joe

IP Logged

lotsofkids
MM.com Benefactor

Moyamoya...Oh boya boya!

Akron, USA, usa, 421, 123, OH, Ohio
Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 7:27pm

Oh My....you do have quite a lot on your plate! Is Tammy your wife or daughter? 

My husband is a Peds Cardiologist and does caths/stents at Rainbow Babies down the street, but knows all the Cleveland group very well.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers! I did my surgeries (STA-MCA) at Stanford last summer, but I am following up with my MM care at Cleveland Clinic with Dr Anthony Furlan (neurology)...he is a world class doc in his field!

Looking forward to hearing all is well with Tammy.....

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Smiles...Diane

Hmmm....seems I'm kinda "special" LOL

IP Logged

joeblack357
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 11:26am

Hiya again everyone,
     Diane, thanks for the reply and we will look into having Dr. Furlan do Tammie's (my wife) follow up care as Dr. Woo will be leaving Cleveland Clinic on the 25th of July.  Tammie's EDAS surgery is tomorrow and her spirits are high and she is doing well.  Here's hoping for the best.

Joe

IP Logged

Skay
Junior Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Evansdale, USA, usa, 323, 119, IA, Iowa
Reply #8 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 10:02pm

Hi Joe,  My prayers are with you and your wife tomorrow.Please keep us up to date.
Sharon

hotdog  
IP Logged

lotsofkids
MM.com Benefactor

Moyamoya...Oh boya boya!

Reply #9 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 10:04pm

Glad to hear Tammy's spirits are high....that is sooooo important. I will keep you and all your family in my thoughts and prayers for a seamless surgery tomorrow.

thanks for keeping us posted....I am FOLLOWING your updates!  : )

She has a bit of a bumpy road....but it does get a lot smoother with time! Hang in there!

diane

IP Logged

joeblack357
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 8:43pm

Good evening everyone,
     Tammie's EDAS surgery went well today, with one small change in the plan.  Tammie had no superficial temporal artery to lay on to the brain so Dr. Woo had to use the Post anterior artery instead.  She's in a lot more pain this time, and she just called me to say the nurses aren't responding to her pushing the call button so I may be headed back over to Cleveland to provide some direct supervision of the nursing staff.  Tammie has a CAT scan in the morning and should be home on Friday.  Dr. Roselli her thoracic surgeon is supposed to be getting in touch with us about plans to repair her aortic aneurysm and coarctation.  Thank you all for the support it has been wonderful.

Joe

IP Logged

Skay
Junior Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Evansdale, USA, usa, 323, 119, IA, Iowa
Reply #11 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 10:27pm

Joe, You know what to do about the nurses and the pain. Put your foot down.

I am praying for you and your wife and take care,
   Sharon

hotdog  
IP Logged

elaine
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sanford, USA, usa, 465, 285, FL, Florida
Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 9:02am

Hi Joe am glad everything is going well for Tammie  Smiley I just got back from spending a month in the Columbus area, Seems like there is Quite a few MMers in Ohio (I am from Columbus, but now live in Florida) I had several tests done at the Cleveland Clinic a few years ago that is a wonderful place......You and Tammie are in my prayers also.......God Bless

Elaine Calvert

Elaine
Elaine  
IP Logged

cass/kate
Experienced Poster

Daughter Kate has moyamoya.

Dallas, USA, usa, 270, 251, TX, Texas
Reply #13 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 10:04am

Hi Joe and Tammie -

Haven't been here lately, so just saw what y'all have been going through.  You are both on my heart and in my prayers.  Daughter Kate had double MM STA-MAC Sept. 2005 w/Dr. Steinberg.  We really liked Dr. Kelly, too.  Know that you are in good hands in Cleveland.

Hugs,

Cass in Dallas, TX

IP Logged

lotsofkids
MM.com Benefactor

Moyamoya...Oh boya boya!

Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 9:06pm

Glad to hear the worst is behind her! Now to recoup and get HOME!

Hopefully it will all be smooth sailing from here on....(and) with a little help from some pain meds... LOL

Smiles....Diane : )

IP Logged

joeblack357
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #15 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 2:31am

Tammie passed away on 10/15/09 at 1150 am EST.  I have found that I have more friends now than I could ever imagine.  She was 37 and well on her way to 38, which was 26 years more than the retard doctor that initially diagnosed her with moya moya disease predicted she would live.  (never trust the doctor when he gives you a time frame it's called a practice for a reason)  Tammie suffered from a massive rupture of an aneurysm at the base of her brain and passed quickly and with little pain.   This great woman was able to prove how great she was even after her death.  She provided a chance for four other people to live through the donation of her organs, and as she always requested her brain will be studied by Dr. Gary Steinberg at Stanford University the leading expert on Moya Moya.  My appreciation to DJ can not begin to be expressed for this site as it has been an excellent resource and form of support for me over the years.

Thank you all
Joe

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 7:40am

Joe, I’m so sorry!!! She was such a fighter and went through so much, God love her, and you went through so much with her. My heart is breaking for you right now, and I can’t find the words to tell you how sorry I am. What a beautiful gesture in donating. She will live in our hearts always. Hang in there Joe, and I’ll keep you close in my thoughts and prayers always.

Mar Smiley

IP Logged

Lmom
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #17 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 11:20am

So very sorry for your loss.

Jody
(Lina's mom)

IP Logged

Mayhem
MM.com Sponsor

diagnosed 1996

Rochester, USA, NY, New_York
Reply #18 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 2:03pm

My deepest condolences.

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Freeland, USA, usa, 51, 28, WA, Washington
Reply #19 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 5:34pm

I'm sorry, Joe.
Kim

IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

Our daughter, Tara, lives
with MM

San Jose, USA, usa, 24, 158, CA, California
Reply #20 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 10:53pm

So sorry this has happened, Joe.  Words are difficult at a time like this, but please know that you're very much in our thoughts and prayers.
Smiley  Jill

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

PaulaMart
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Spain
Reply #21 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 5:29am

I'm sorry very much, God bless you.

Paula

IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

My brother Kevin (Cubbie)
has Moyamoya

Delaware, USA, usa, 419, 133, OH, Ohio
Reply #22 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 11:08am

Joe,

My sincere condolences for your loss.

What a remarkable woman Tammie was. Many have already benefited from her thoughtfulness, kindness and generosity and many more will benefit through her contribution to research.

Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lore

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Reply #23 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 2:33am

My heart goes out to the family. Tammie sounds like she was an incredible woman leaving a legacy of life for others. There really are no words......

Stay strong
Mark (Luca's Dad)

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

yunnanababy
Experienced Poster

My daughter had her surgeries
in October 2009

Indianapolis, IN  USA
Reply #24 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 3:31am

I am so very sorry to learn of your loss.  Your wife sounds like a wonderful woman.

With Sincere Condolences,

Jennifer
(Ruby's mom)
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2009 at 3:32am by yunnanababy »  

Mom to an 9.5 y/o ballerina/guitar player with MMD & an 11.5 y/o gymnast/cross country runner/swimmer!
www.caringbridge.org/visit/rubymaejingli
WWW 1422039771&ref=profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge