Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Introducing Polly (Read 4354 times)
Gillian
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Introducing Polly
Oct 22nd, 2009 at 1:48pm

Hello everyone!

My name is Gillian and my three and a half year old daughter Polly was just diagnosed with Moyamoya on Monday.  She also has Down syndrome.

Now we know that Polly had a stroke on Sunday.  It temporarily paralyzed her right leg but she's now up and walking around.  She still has weakness but is doing well.

We live in Chicago, about ten minutes from Children's Memorial Hospital which is where we took Polly on Sunday after her incident.  They admitted her and had an EEG and an MRI/MRA on Monday and we were told about Moyamoya that evening.

We've already met with the Neurosurgeons at Children's.  They were very knowledgeable about Moyamoya (I checked on here about all the tests you recommend, etc...).

Polly's having an angiograph done in two weeks and then the surgery (indirect bypass, the one Dr. Scott does, right?) should be mid-November, app. four weeks after her stroke.

We are thankful we have a neurosurgeon right here who has done this procedure many times and also on kids with Down syndrome as we have three other daughters at home (another of whom we just adopted from Ukraine and also has Down syndrome).

I am already very thankful for this board and to Mary Grace for pointing me to it.

Appreciate prayer for Polly.

Thanks,
gillian

IP Logged

Briellesmum
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Introducing Polly
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 5:59pm

Welcome Gillian
My Daughter Brielle is 4 1/2 and also has DS, she was diagnosed on the 13th of September after having a stroke on the 10th of Sep.
Unfortunately she had another stroke on Wednesday night  Cry.
We live in Australia.
We are waiting for a bed in Sydney to do the rest of the testing and the surgery but no one can give us a date yet  Cry.
Unfortunately for Brielle all 3 of her arteries are blocked.
I hope that Polly is ok now good luck with the surgery  Smiley

IP Logged

Gillian
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 7:31pm

Briellesmum, I am so sorry to hear your daughter had another stroke.

I am praying for her and for all of you.

God bless.

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 8:33pm

Hi Gillian, Smiley

Right before my daily visit here, I received a google alert about Polly from your blog, so I posted about our forum here. Polly and your children are precious! You’re truly blessed. I was so pleased to see you’re already here when I logged on. Welcome to our MM family!

It sounds as though you’re on a good path for Polly. The key to success with this disease is prompt treatment with an experienced MM Neurosurgeon.

Is Polly home from the hospital yet? If so, I’d just like to suggest to try keeping her from crying as much as possible, no stress and the most importantly, hydrated. Hopefully that will lesson the chance of any more episodes before surgery. We’ll keep her in our prayers and be right there with her in sprit through her surgeries.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask or vent if you’d like, and please keep us posted.

Mar

Brielle’s Mom,

I’m so sorry to hear Brielle had another stroke. Please know we’re keeping her close in our thoughts and prayers. Smiley

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 5:06am

Hey Gillian

You seem to be right on track for Little Polly. Indirect bypass is generally preferred for young kids because their arteries are normally too small for a direct bypass.

I will definately be thinking of you guys over the next few weeks and know that you're in good company here

Stay Strong and keep us posted
Mark (Luca's Dad)

Briellesmum, I'm terribly sorry to hear of Brielles latest episode. Thinking of her too.

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

My brother Kevin (Cubbie)
has Moyamoya

Delaware, USA, usa, 419, 133, OH, Ohio
Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 7:36am

Hi Gillian and Welcome.

Sorry to hear about Polly but glad to hear she is up and moving around.  I'm glad you have had the opportunity to speak with Mary Grace. She can be a big help and source of strength for you and Polly.

Hang in there, stay strong and know we are here for you and Polly.

God Bless you for adopting children with special needs. You are amazing and the children are blessed to have you as their mommy.

I'll keep you and Polly in my thoughts and prayers.

Please keep us updated on Polly when you can.

Briellesmum - I too am sorry to hear of Brielle's stroke. I will keep you and Brielle in my prayers. Let us know when Brielle's surgery is scheduled.

Lore 

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

yunnanababy
Experienced Poster

My daughter had her surgeries
in October 2009

Indianapolis, IN  USA
Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 1:59pm

Hi Gillian,

Glad to hear that your daughter is doing better and that you have access to local care for her. 

My daughter 6 y/o daughter, Ruby, recently had her right side surgery on 10/5 & left side surgery on 10/15 at Riley Children's Hospital in Indy.   She struggled a bit more to recover from the second surgery - nothing out of the ordinary, just the shock of two surgeries in such a short span of time.  She's been home for 4 days now and continues to improve every day.  Her surgeon has approved her to return to school for half-days next week. 

I would second everything Mar mentioned, the hydration and shutting down any crying episodes as quickly as possible.  This has not always been an easy task for me where my daughter is concerned.  She is very sensitive and becomes upset quite easily, especially when she doesn't get her way.  When the crying starts, I can usually find something to distract her, but it sometimes takes a while.  Smiley

Glad you found your way to this website.  You will receive lots of support from everyone here.

Best regards,

Jennifer

Mom to an 9.5 y/o ballerina/guitar player with MMD & an 11.5 y/o gymnast/cross country runner/swimmer!
www.caringbridge.org/visit/rubymaejingli
WWW 1422039771&ref=profile  
IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 10:44am

Gillian, Welcome! I'm so glad you came and joined our group.It was really nice to chat with you.Please let us know how all the tests go.Many prayers for your family.
Mary Grace
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2009 at 10:45am by mg12061 »  
rgrace5  
IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 7:53am

Gillian, How's Polly doing? I've been thinking about her...... Is she getting her strength back? has she had any tests? Keeping your family in my prayers.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Gillian
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #9 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 9:52am

Thanks for checking on us MG.  Polly's doing well, sassy and running around, just how we like it Smiley.  She has gotten practically all her strength back in her leg.  Her PT doesn't think she'll need long term therapy on it.

Polly has her angiograph next Wednesday morning and her surgeries will be scheduled after that. 

I'm a little nervous about the angiograph.  Someone I know told me that Polly has to lay still for a long time afterword or she could have a stroke.  Is that true?  How did all your kids do with the angiograph?

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Reply #10 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 10:17am

Gillian, That's great news. I'm so glad she won't have any long term dissability from the stroke. AS for the angio. I believe the laying still after the procedure is so she won't bleed from the artery that they enter in order to do this.They want to make sure it's healed up well. We had to go to Boston for ours and had to stay overnight because they didn't want something to happen on the road. We really didn't have a problem keeping her still she was pretty groggy for a bit. and we brought lots of stuff to keep busy.Videos are a must! She was pretty ahppy to just lay around watching videos.(something we don't generaly let her do much of) it was  actually a real treat for her. Good luck and keep us posted.
Mary Grace
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2009 at 10:18am by mg12061 »  
rgrace5  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge