Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GENETIC TEST RESULTS! Oh Boya! (Read 19461 times)
lotsofkids
MM.com Benefactor

Moyamoya...Oh boya boya!

Akron, USA, usa, 421, 123, OH, Ohio
GENETIC TEST RESULTS! Oh Boya!
Dec 8th, 2007 at 12:52pm

UPDATE to Genetic testing, POSTED ON 8/12/08 ---- to this original post started on 12/08/07----(see further below in thread)

I have been following this subject closely....and correct me if I am wrong....but I have not seen anyone post a positive result yet?????

WELL, let me be the first to say.....
I officially have the mutated marker for MM
. Theresa from Stanford called me last night.....seems they are in collaboration with the Houston Study and out of 92 Stanford (Dr Steinburg's patient's) I was 1 of the 3 that came back positive!!!!

Not a result I would have wanted to see.....but better to know your enemy. This is the same defective gene that is identified with AAA's (Abdominal Aortic Aynurisms ~sp?)
It is Waaaayyyyy to early to even know what any of this means. It is a milestone...but unchartered territory.....we are taking the first baby steps.

Hmmm....now to get a blood sample from all my kids....they are going to love that!!!!!

hugs to all.....Diane
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2008 at 12:25pm by lotsofkids »  

Hmmm....seems I'm kinda "special" LOL

IP Logged

MMnewtUt
Junior Poster

Moyamoya survivor!

Salt Lake, USA, usa, 129, 143, UT, Utah
Re: GENETIC TEST RESULTS! Oh Boya!
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 11:07pm

Hey Diane,
     Wasn't there something about a second marker ?  Will there be a difference in the number of positives I wonder?  Was the Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm the second marker?  Cuz I don't have that.  Many questions.....       Newt

IP Logged

lotsofkids
MM.com Benefactor

Moyamoya...Oh boya boya!

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 12:59am

You bring up a good point Newt.

I am not really sure.....this all caught me totally off guard.

I will line up my follow-up questions with my next phone call. Hmmm....two markers?

Did they tell you they found "1" on you and not the other?

I am certainly interested in hearing from any of "us" positives and what similarities/backgrounds we might have in common. Scientifically....this is so very interesting.....but personally....a bit frightening.

Seems....if MM is one in two million.......those with the markers might be one in 50 million????? Guess I really am extra "special" LOL

smiles....Diane

IP Logged

Emily
Senior Poster

Diagnosed Oct 2005. Direct
bypasses: Nov 05 Apr

Brisbane, Australia
Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 4:30am

so are your doctors following up with you and doing research and all that over there? nothing is happening over here, my new doctor is like.. "sorry can't do anything for yo, see you in a year"... no one seems to want to learn any more about it... poo...

WWW rubygrapefruit https://www.facebook.com/emily.pip  
IP Logged

MMnewtUt
Junior Poster

Moyamoya survivor!

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 9:10pm

Hey Diane,
     I wasn't told I had the marker.  I just thought it was interesting.  I had so many problems with the samples I am not even sure U of Texas got a good sample.  I emailed Ellen Regaldo about it but did not hear back. Smiley  You are just extra extra special! ;Grin ;Grin
                          Kiss Natalie

IP Logged

srkm5482
MM.com Sponsor

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sugar Land, TX
Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 9:02am

WOW - I came on the site today to see if anyone HAD heard back from the genetic tests 'cause we sent my son's in last May and haven't heard anything (an email inquiry in Oct has gone unanswered, too).
Interesting, though: yestereday we found out that Kyle's right Kidney is smaller than his left and causing the high BP he's experienced over the past year (he's 14 yrs old and 11 yrs post-stroke).  the Dr said this was not a surprise to see in someone with MM! That the smaller kidney was due to lack of blood flow to that kidney - like MM in the kidney, he implied.   (Anyone else ever hear this?)
When we were in San Antonio last June (MM Reunion 07) and met Dr. Bourgious (sp?) who was involved with the genetic study at UT at the time, he mentioned that they were seeing some who have the marker for AAA also have vascular issues in other places such as the brain (MM), the neck, the kidneys.....!  So now, I'm really anxious to get the test results!
  Diane, I suppose one of your many questions will be: how do I find out if other areas of my body have been affected?  Hallelujah for the excellant imaging available to us these days.  Kyle had Renal scan and ultrasound on his kidneys.  I'm sure there are similar imaging techniques for the others.
We'll be looking for a post after you get answers!!! Smiley
p.s. I do remember Dr. Bourgeous mentioning more than one marker being found in some test results.  Wish I I recorded our conversation so I knew exactly what he said!  I have that "CRS" disease! Roll Eyes

sue

Sue (Kyle's mom)

IP Logged

The_Mom_of_J_and_K
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Northampton, USA, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 11:14am

My daughter is going in for surgery 12/20/07.  We took her to our local ER, because we thought she was having an appendicitis.  They did a CT scan (the only test they did) and found a mass on her liver, and we were told she probably had cancer.  We immediately had her transported to the Children's Hospital where she had her EDAMS surgeries performed, because we do not trust our local hospitals. They did more tests and concluded that she has a tumor hanging from the left lobe of her liver that contains blood vessels.  After consulting with her Neurosurgeon they agreed that she would have to be off her blood thinner a week before this surgery.  The good news is that it is highly doubtful that this tumor is cancerous, and it can be removed with minimal involvement of her liver, because of it's position. She was recently diagnosed with Livedo Reticularis, which she had this since the day she was born. I wonder if this all ties in together?  The Pediatric Surgeon told us that in the case of rare diseases they never rule out any correlation, because sometimes this is how developments are discovered. I called for information on the genetic testing study in Texas, but never received a return call. I am grateful for the Moyamoya family and find this website invaluable.  Pray for our family, and I will post any updates.

IP Logged

ExtremeLife1986
Junior Poster

Live For Today !!!!

Boynton Beach, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #7 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 4:06pm

nice to know someone has heard something about there results. I havent heard garbage and frankly i am getting annoyed with it. I aould like to know but I have emailed them months ago even called and all I get is if they need more info they would be in touch. I have lost info to the research so I dont know how to get in touch but now its getting rediculous that no one is really hearing from them. I know with this condition we are kinda like ginny pigs but I think we diserve to hear something from them wether we have the gene or not consideirng with out us they wouldnt be able to do the testing. If anyone has the email addrress to contract the universaty would you please give it to me.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2007 at 4:07pm by ExtremeLife1986 »  

ßrad
Live4Today Live4Today1986  
IP Logged

lotsofkids
MM.com Benefactor

Moyamoya...Oh boya boya!

Reply #8 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 7:54pm

Hi guys....this is probably a bit long...but it is the original protocol / consent from the study hope this helps....I will post back soon as I hear some info: thanks

EMAIL FROM DR. BOURGEOIS APRIL 07

Bourgeois.Scott@uth.tmc.edu

You are being invited to take part in this study because you or a family member has vascular
disease, such as coronary artery disease, a stroke, or peripheral vascular disease. This research
project is being conducted by Dr. Dianna M. Milewicz from the University of Texas Medical
School at Houston.
Your decision to take part is voluntary and you may refuse to take part, or choose to stop taking
part, at any time. A decision not to take part, or to stop being a part of the research project, will
not change the services that are available to you from the physicians or hospital.
You may refuse to answer any questions asked or written on any forms.
This research project has been reviewed by the Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects
(CPHS) of the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston as HSC-MS-06-0564.
PURPOSE OF STUDY:
The primary goal of this study is to identify the genes that, when altered, lead to vascular
diseases such as coronary artery disease, strokes or peripheral vascular disease.
INCLUSION CRITERIA
(1) Sbjects with premature onset of vaso-occlusive disease (defined as <55 years of age
for males and <60 yars of age for females), including strokes, coronary artery
disease, and peripheral vasculardisease.
(2) Patients with the diagnosis of Sneddon’s syndrome.
(3) Patients with the diagnosis of Moyamoya disease.
(4) Children with vaso-occlusive disease, including stroke.
(5) Family members of patients with a family history of vaso-occlusive disease or
mutation.
EXCLUSION CRITERIA
Individuals who do not have a vascular disease, premature vaso-occlusive disease or do not have
a family history of it or any of the above mentioned conditions.
The tissue collected from you will be used to grow cells for further studies. The cells may be
kept frozen for further study at a later time. The cells and DNA samples will be banked for
studies until the sample is gone, which may take years. The samples and medical information
from the questionnaires may be shared with other investigators at other sites who are studyingindividuals with aortic aneurysms and dissections but your name and any other information that
can identify you will not be shared and will be kept confidential.
If you leave outside of the Houston area, we will send you a kit to collect saliva, and a prepaid
mailing kit to send it back to us. Alternatively, your physician may draw your blood and send it
to us.
You will be asked to donate samples only once if there are no problems with the laboratory
analysis of your samples. Your medical records will be obtained from your primary doctor.
These studies may determine if you have an alteration in a gene or protein. Any results will be
reported back to you or your physician. The tests that we do will be done in a research lab and
should not be used to make any clinical decisions until the results are confirmed by a clinical lab.
Information on how and where to send your samples for confirmation of your results by a
clinical lab will be provided to you.
It is possible that this study will identify information about you that was previously unknown,
such as information about a predisposition to a disease. Such incidental findings, if any, will not
be shared with you or anyone related to you unless the incidental finding is a risk for a disease
known at the time of testing to be likely to cause premature death if untreated. Should such lifethreatening
results be uncovered through these research studies, you will be notified via certified
mail and/or phone call. Genetic counseling will be provided to you and your family members to
explain these results.

IP Logged

lotsofkids
MM.com Benefactor

Moyamoya...Oh boya boya!

Reply #9 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 8:23pm

Hello Sue .....interesting about Kyle! I would definately think you should be following this closely! LOL! Hopefully, we will all be sharing info as it becomes available.  I still haven't heard anything concrete as of yet....only that "I have the marker".....guess...they give me a bit of time to work with that ... huh?

Well....after all the holidays settle, I plan on asking a lot of questions and trying to make a little more sense of it all. I have a caucasion background (mostly English) and frankly never expected to HIT the winning ticket! LOL!

MOM of J and K......so glad it wasn't cancer! It does seem the more complicated the child....the more things that seem to go wrong......(my husband is a Peds Cardiologist) and well....some families seem to have more than their share to face in this world.....but it is amazing how they always step up and with such strength!

Hello Extreme.....I guess they are a bit busier than expected. Just bare with them....I am sure they will get back with everyone in due time.

anyhow.....my best regards.....Diane : )

IP Logged

lotsofkids
MM.com Benefactor

Moyamoya...Oh boya boya!

Reply #10 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 3:17pm

Oh and here is a phone contact I found: (sorry to be giving everything "bit by bit" lol!

QUESTIONS:
Dr. Dianna Milewicz, the principal investigator for this study, will be glad to answer any further
questions that you may have about this research study. You may contact Dr. Milewicz’s office at
(713) 500-6715 at any time during the study.

IP Logged

MMnewtUt
Junior Poster

Moyamoya survivor!

Reply #11 - Dec 22nd, 2007 at 9:47pm

Hey Sue (and Kyle),
     I also have abnormal vessels in and around my kidneys.  I was diagnosed with Fibro-Muscular-Dysplasia.   FMD.  Is that what you heard for Kyle?  How old is Kyle?  I also have Livedo Reticularis.  I think it all ties in somehow. Smiley   Kiss, Newt(Natalie)

IP Logged

Cynthia
New Poster

Hang in there!

Bellevue, USA, usa, 52, 31, WA, Washington
Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 11:53pm

Natalie,

Can I assume you have had treatment for Moyamoya? 
Did your doctors indicate that the two diseases were related?  Did you also undergo treatment for the  Fibro-Muscular-Dysplasia?  If yes, what is the treatment?  More surgery? What kind?

Sorry about all the questions.   

Thanks,
Cynthia

&&

IP Logged

MMnewtUt
Junior Poster

Moyamoya survivor!

Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 5:14pm

Hello Cynthia,
I had two STA-MCA bypasses at Stanford two years ago. My FMD wasdiagnosed before the MM vessels in my brain.  Tried an angio on my kidneys.  My vessels would spasm and the angio was stopped early.  Nothing since then for FMD.  I just tend to use the restroom more often.   Smiley Natalie

IP Logged

neecieree
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

sebring, USA, usa, 461, 283, FL, Florida
Reply #14 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 4:40pm

I have sent my samples in for the study and i have not heard anything yet and I am wondering if there is any thing that i should do.  please let me know thank you. Denise

denise
bobbitchinsgirl@myspace.com denise torsney neecieree  
IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Reply #15 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 8:18pm

I called Huston and she said I was negative on the two eayser Jeans but I may yet test positive on the big one. I haven't hurd from her so I don't think i tested positive for that one eather. She said of all of us that had the surgey she will continue to look for more ways of mutation. that is my 2 cents.
Becky
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2008 at 8:22pm by Becky »  

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

lotsofkids
MM.com Benefactor

Moyamoya...Oh boya boya!

Reply #16 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 2:04am

UPDATE on the genetic study......one of my paternal uncles tested positive.....and both my 12 year old twins have also tested positive.  (I have not told them anything as it would only upset them) My older boys do not have the genetic marker. (well actually, 2..do not, and 1 chose not to participate and remains an unknown)

No one has really told me anything of substance and I think, as it is so early in the research process...they really don't know what all this means  Everyone is keeping a low profile and just gathering data. I am interested in any others here on the site that may have "hit the MM lottery as I did" at least we can have an exclusive club within the club...lol!

The only thing I think (?) is the marker is mostly a marker for AAA's (abdominal arortic aneurysms) and somehow MM has shown a higher prevalance with people having a predisposition for / or associating with AAA's.
So, at this point....the fact that some of us have this marker.....would make me concerned more for the heart risk....and I would not feel that any emminant danger of MM is written in their future. I do think that they should always be more aware of their risk factors....and if something does seem amiss, then (armed with this info) they should be taken more seriously than the average patient.

That's my 2cents on it.....Until they tell me otherwise.. ???

best regards.....diane : )

IP Logged

april18_81
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #17 - May 21st, 2013 at 6:52pm

hello!  i had my bypass surgery in 2011.  now that i am feeling better & more stable my husband and i want to start a family.  we have seriously been considering IVF with embryo screening. 

does anyone know if embryo screening for MM is an option for us?  thank you so much!

shannon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge