Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
After Surgery (Read 3579 times)
Peter714
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Garden Grove, USA, CA, California
After Surgery
Jul 18th, 2008 at 9:14pm

Hello everyone!

I'm actually here on behalf of my sister that was diagnosed with moyamoya and have gone through surgery. I'll try to explain the situation as short as possible. She is currently 30 yrs old and found out that she has moyamoya. She used to live with us in CA but is now in Virginia. She had a stroke several years ago but none of the doctors here could find out the reason why until she visited Hopkins hospital. She finally had her surgery done at Hopkins hospital about a month ago. My mom is over there taking care of her while her husband goes to work. She has had a rough month after the surgery. I just wanted to find out more information first hand. She was vomiting alot after the surgery so she's taking meds to take care of that. Its really hard to visit her doctor since its 4 hours away. She has been getting dizzy often and my mom or her husband needs to always help her. Is this normal? Any info will help so please feel free to give some inputs.

IP Logged

cubbie
Experienced Poster
MM.com Benefactor

Stanford MM Survivor,May

Delaware, USA, usa, 418, 133, OH, Ohio
Re: After Surgery
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 5:08pm

Hello Peter714

I am not a doctor and everyone is different!
but that is not normal IMO.
I would suggest you call her Neuro and ask what they think.

Kevin

Kevin Allen- I was so much older than,I am younger than that now,The Byrds,My Back Pages

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Freeland, USA, usa, 51, 28, WA, Washington
Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 10:28pm

Hi,
I'd be a little concerned too. I agree with Kevin; think this is the time to get the neurologist and neurosurgeon involved. I was "pretty much" back to my old routine within a month of my surgeries. But, like Kevin said, everyone responds differently. I know that whenever I was concerned about something that I was experiencing post-op, I didn't hesitate to make a call to Stanford where I had had my surgeries. I was never made to feel that my concerns were insignificant and always received a prompt response. So, I'd suggest that you call, if it only to put your mind at ease.
Kim

IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

My brother Kevin (Cubbie)
has Moyamoya

Delaware, USA, usa, 419, 133, OH, Ohio
Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2008 at 8:58am

Hi Peter Smiley

I wanted to welcome you to the Moyamoya family.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister's difficulties post surgery.  I too agree with Kevin and Kim and although different for everyone, the amount and extreme dizziness your sister is experiencing, in my opinion, doesn't appear to be normal.

My suggestion is a ditto to Kevin and Kim's suggestion.

Please keep us posted on your sister and please ask any questions.  We are here to support you in anyway we can.

Take care,

Lore

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2008 at 11:44am

Hi Peter -

Welcome to the family - sorry you had a need to be here, but I'm glad you found us. 

I agree what everyone else has posted so far - regarding the your sister's prolonged dizziness.  I did not tolerate the morphine they gave me - It made me sick to my stomach - and I was convinced that the anti-nausea medicine was making me more nautious.  But that went away within the week. 

I would definitely contact her surgeon and/or neurologist. 

-Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

moody
Experienced Poster

In all the thing I lost
I miss my mind the most.

richmond, USA, VA, Virginia
Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 12:15pm

Hi Peter, welcome to moyamoya family, I'm sorry for difficulty your sister went throught, like Kevin and Kim sussestion, you need to talk with neuro and/or neurosurgeon, may be it due to medecine she take, who is her surgeon in Hopkins, I live in Richmond, VA and have surgeries with Dr. Tamargo at JohnsHopkins hos. 2 yrs ago, with part of Virginia your sister live?  Please keep us posted.
Take care
Kieu

Yesterday is past, tomorrow is future, today is the gift, that why we call it present.

IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 6:38pm

Welcome to the family,
I would talk to her nurologest. Maybe she is taking medication that is making he throw up. i was on morfien right after my surgey and i was barfing like crazy they put me on perkisets (SP?) i was still in the hospital when they switched. It was like an hour after i woke up from the surgey. I hope this helps.
Becky

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

Peter714
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Garden Grove, USA, CA, California
Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 2:52pm

Great News Everyone!
My sister is feeling alot better. Her dizziness has gone away and she no longer needs meds for throwing up. She is doing alot better and her surgeon has told her that everyone is going well. My sister currently lives in Fredericksburg VA. The doctor has told her that she may not need to have surgery on the other side of her head but I think that the doctor just told her that because she had so much difficulty with her first surgery and did not wont to worry her. I will try to have her post herself on this website. Thank you all for your support!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge