Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone have trouble sleeping after surgery (Read 3151 times)
lisalisa
New Poster

Amityville, USA, usa, 506, 107, NY, New_York
Anyone have trouble sleeping after surgery
Aug 6th, 2008 at 8:27am

My husband is 5 and 6 weeks post surgery and is having alot of trouble sleeping.  He cannot seem to fall into a deep sleep and is up and down for hours, very restless.  He has tried Ambien and Ambien CR and they are not working.  Anyone else have trouble after surgery?

IP Logged

MMnewtUt
Junior Poster

Moyamoya survivor!

Salt Lake, USA, usa, 129, 143, UT, Utah
Re: Anyone have trouble sleeping after surgery
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 11:57am

Hello.
     I had a lot of trouble sleeping before and after my surgeries.  The Ambien and Ambien CR didn't do anything for me.  It took me about three weeks to get any sleep before 3 am.  (I believe my old mattress is partly to blame.)  I would talk to your husband's doctor about other sleeping meds. Just my opinion.  Best of luck!     MMnewtUt/ Natalie

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Kneeland, USA, 15, 113, C
Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 1:13pm

Hello~

Ask your doctor about a sleep study.
It could be that your cousin isn't getting enough air and wakes up to breath. it's called 'Apnea".
A 'sleep machine' can help one go thru all the sleep stages one requires and provide a better nights rest.

An interesting book is 'The Promise of Sleep' by Wm Dement (from Stanford univ). It probably has more info that a single person needs but....
The book has a listing of sleep study centers, but you could get a list on line tooo I'd imagine.  There's a list of web sites for apnea help and for the many other types of sleep disorders.

All this information would put me right to sleep!
Sweet dreams!

Linda A

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

Janko
Experienced Poster

Take baby steps...one
step in front of the
other!!

Kekaha, USA, usa, 326, 333, HI, Hawaii
Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 1:25pm

I was diagnosed with depression after my stroke and had problems trying to fall asleep.  I would go to sleep around 2 am and would wake around 4 or 5 am.  I was a real zombie...before my dr. put me on sleep meds.  After my surgeries, it took a couple of months before I was sleeping like a baby.  Smiley Party due to the incisions, I had to sleep with a bed pad on my pillow for approx. a month after surgery (I had a weepy incision and had to get couple of extra stitches put in).  I spoke to my neurologist and noticed that I still have times when I have problems sleeping.  He told me to try the lowest dose of melatonin (a natural sleep aid, which seems to help me) Smiley before going back on prescription meds.  I too, suggest that you talk to your physician regarding his sleeplessness.

Aloha,
Jan

Everything is not just black and white.  Open your eyes, see what the world has to offer....

IP Logged

moody
Experienced Poster

In all the thing I lost
I miss my mind the most.

richmond, USA, VA, Virginia
Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 1:30pm

I too, have problem with my sleeping after surgery, and ambien didn't help, I did have sleep study and find that I'm fine when I go sleep, my doctor let me try 3 different type of relaxing and sleep but it didn't help much either, but walking is help, run around to play w/kids, and gardening help me sleep very well.  Hope it help.

Kieu

PS: Doctor said that when the stress level too high the sleeping pill not working.

Yesterday is past, tomorrow is future, today is the gift, that why we call it present.

IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 7:00pm

I am a stomach sleeper and my favorite side was my surgey side. It took me about 2 months to sleep the full night. I had to train my body to sleep on the other side. I did not take sleeping pills at all. I just took alot of naps. I went back to work a month after my surgery and everyday i would come home and need a nap. 

It just takes time for your body to heal and your body needs to ajust. Some take longer then others. i would advise not to take sleeping aids with out cunsulting your doctor. Depending on what medication you are taking you might be doing more dammage then if you sleep when you can.

I hope this helps.  Sweet dreams.
Becky

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

amy
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

floydada, USA, usa, 229, 215
Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 7:41pm

i had my surgeries in 2000 and 2001 and i still have to take naps during the day.  i get tired very easily even after 7 years/

amy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge