Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for a doctor in Tampa. FL (Read 11478 times)
hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Looking for a doctor in Tampa. FL
Aug 11th, 2008 at 6:29pm

My daughter was diagnosed Aug 6, 2008.  We are going to have an appointment with a Dr. Harry Van Loveren here at Tampa General.  He used to be at a hospital in Cincinnati.  Has anyone heard of him or have any experience with him?  I have also contacted Dr. Steinberg's office at Stanford and I am trying to get an appointment with Drl Stephen Lewis in Gainesville, FL.  I would really like to have it done here in Tampa IF the doctor is the right one for the job.  Sure glad I found this site.  Thanks DJ.  I'm still in shock at this diagnosis.  So far my daughter, 14 yrs old< hasn't had any major problems.  She's had migraines since first grade and they have been getting more frequent.  she now has 3-4 a week.  Two new symptoms are light headedness and a general feeling of weakness all over that she says is getting worse.

Thankks in advance for any advise you can give!

Destin's mom

IP Logged

Greekswife
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Looking for a doctor in Tampa. FL
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 10:19am

Hi,
I just found this site as my husband was just diagonosed with MM and I was looking around for information.  We too live in Tampa and just met Dr. Van Loveren and I immediately felt very comfortable with him and his experience with MM. I don't feel the need to get a 2nd opinion. 

I know that 3 years have past since your daughter was diagnosed and if you see this post, please let me know how she is doing.  My husband is going to have surgery in May.

Thank you.

IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 6:20pm

Hi,  You are the 4th or 5th person I know of in the area (or I guess I should say your huysband is)  Dr. Van Lovern was on vacation when I tried to get my daughter an appointment.  In the meantime we found Dr. Lewis at Shands in Gainesville.  My daughter loves him and we were very happy with him and his staff when she had her surgery Dec. 2008.

We get together occaisionally with 2 other girls (1 in Tampa and 1 in Lakeland) that have moyamoya.  It's been goo for the girls to have someone who undestands what they are going through.  How is your husband handling everything?  Did he have a stroke?  My daughters was discovered because of her migraines.

If you have any questions or want to talk my number is 920-0608.  My name is Donna...call if you need to talk.

Destin's mom

IP Logged

Greekswife
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 3:17pm

Hello Donna,
So sorry for the delayed response -  I have been so busy with my husband. We found that he had Moyamoya after he had a hemorraghic stroke in February and then 2 other strokes shortly after. He was in Mease Hospital for 4 weeks then in rehab.  His speech was affected,(nothing else) and he has been going for speech therapy in Palm Harbor 2x a week.  Dr. Van Loveren just did his surgery on Thursday, 6/2 and he is currently in Tampa General Hospital.  He had the by-pass on the left side and he might have the other side done. I hope he doesn't have to go through this again. Today is day 3 after surgery and he is doing remarkably well. It is amazing.  His speech was set back a bit, but Dr. Van Loveren said it is temporary. I cannot say enough good things about him. 

I am glad that your daughter is doing well.   I will try and give you a call - thanks for your number.
Debbie

IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 8:34pm

Hi Debbie,

I have heard good things about Dr. VanLouvern as well.  He was on vacation when we got Destin's diagnosis and I didn't want to wait around so we found Dr. Lewis in Gainesville.  He was awesome and Destin felt very comfortable with him.  It is good to know we have someone closer if needed.  Destin goes to the pain management clinic in the rehab center at Tampa General and will be volunteering there this summer.  I look forward to hearing from you.  Call anytime.

Donna

Destin's mom

IP Logged

Arianne120
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 2:21pm

Hi Donna,

I was wondering how your daughter is fairing. I'm sorry if I startled you with my text. But, I text you today with the number you provided here. I don't know anyone else who may have moyamoya. It's scary. But, Did she undergo anymore surgery.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge