Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problems flying (Read 7033 times)
freckles
Junior Poster

Moyamoya Survivor!!

Lakeland, FL
Problems flying
Mar 4th, 2009 at 10:55am

I am all set to fly out to California on the 11th and I'm dreading it. Does anybody else have problems with flying? I remember my first time going to California when I had a little bit of an earache on the plane and then again on the way back.

About a year later I got on another flight, a short one from Jax to Miami, and experienced some of the worst pain in my head and ears that I have ever had. Has anyone else had to deal with this? What do you suggest I do about it? Teresa suggested a decongestant, are there any others?

Thanks,
Jesenia

WWW moyamoyagrl moyamoyagrl  
IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Re: Problems flying
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 12:15pm

I have not flown since I have had my surgery. But before that I hated flying. I took Sudifed(sp?) and Afrin nasel spray and chewed alot of gum. It helps a bit but after the flight I have to stay put before we get the bags to let my head equlize. Good luck I hope this helped.
Becky

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

Audge
Experienced Poster

Daughter Emily has MM

Armada, USA, usa, MI, Michigan
Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 8:26pm

Hi,  Just before our last flight out to California for my daughter my ENT doctor said I have something funky w/my ear drums and suggested I wear "ear planes".  I got them at the drug store and I think they were $6 or $7.  I still had some sharp pains but probably not as bad as it would have been.  I just thought I'd pass that along.  Smiley  Have a safe trip!!!!!!!

IP Logged

LisaH
Senior Poster

Be thankful in all circumstances

ArlingtonHts, USA, usa, 358, 120, IL, Illinois
Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 9:28pm

I don't have any advice for you Jesenia but I am curious as to what decongestant Theresa suggested.  I know that MMers are not supposed to take anything with Phenylephrine or  Pseudophedrine in it and I have had no luck in finding a good decongestant that does not have one of these drugs in it.  Sudafed is a definite no-no.  

Cut from WebMed regarding Phenylephrine:
"Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: blood vessel problems (e.g., Raynaud's disease, low blood flow to the brain/legs/hands), high blood pressure, diabetes, glaucoma, heart disease (e.g., angina, fast/irregular heartbeat, heart failure), mental/mood disorders (e.g., anxiety, bipolar disorder, mania), difficulty sleeping, seizure disorder, overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism), trouble urinating (e.g., due to enlarged prostate)."

Cut from WebMed regarding PSEUDOEPHEDRINE (Sudafed):
"Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: stroke, high blood pressure, chest pain (angina), heart attack, mental/mood disorders (e.g., anxiety, bipolar disorder, mania), epilepsy/seizure problems, certain blood vessel problems (e.g., Raynaud's disease, peripheral vascular disease), overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism), low blood flow to the brain (cerebral insufficiency), diabetes, difficulty sleeping."

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 10:16pm

Hi Jesnia,

Flying has been discussed here so many times over the years. It’s a little different for everyone, but for the most part everyone seemed to handle it well, as I remember.

What I’m concerned about was the mention of Sudafed taken before flying. I have to agree with Lisa. This too was discussed many times over the years, and many members have said that they were advised NOT to take Sudafed and many other decongestants because they can cause cerebral vasoconstriction. I’m not a doctor; I’m simply saying many MM patients were told not to take it, so I thought it was worth mentioning to avoid any possible additional problems.

Here is one thread where it was discussed. I can’t find all the threads because I can’t go back further than fifty posts, unless I look up every single thread from the beginning individually, and I think this most recent thread shows you the caution and concern about taking decongestants.
http://www.moyamoya.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1152538054

Good Luck at Stanford and have a safe trip.

Mar

IP Logged

freckles
Junior Poster

Moyamoya Survivor!!

Lakeland, FL
Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2009 at 12:51am

Thanks all,

Theresa didn't suggest a specific decongestant and I knew about the no psuedoephedrine rule...i just didn't put two and two together for a while! I'll have to call her tomorrow and see what she meant by that I guess.

Thanks for the link tot he other thread, Mar.

Jesenia

WWW moyamoyagrl moyamoyagrl  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge