Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recovery period for bypass (Read 2761 times)
wllanos
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Recovery period for bypass
Mar 15th, 2009 at 1:28pm

Hello everyone!  My brother was diagnosed with Moyamoya in November 2008.  He is scheduled to have bypass surgery in both sides of his brain at the end of this month with Dr. Neil Martin at UCLA.  I was wondering how long the recovery period is for that type of operation.  His job has given him 2 months off so far, but I was wondering if he'll need more time.  He'd also prefer to be back earlier than 2 months so I was wondering how realistic that is.

Thanks to all!

IP Logged

Audge
Experienced Poster

Daughter Emily has MM

Armada, USA, usa, MI, Michigan
Re: Recovery period for bypass
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2009 at 12:12am

Hi,  everyone is different so I think that's why they can't give you specific numbers.  My daughter was 13 when she had both by passes and we had it done just at the end of the school year so we didn't need to know a specific date.  She recovered pretty quickly.  She hadn't had any strokes or TIA's prior to her surgeries so it was a pretty smooth process.  I hope everything goes as well for your brother!!  Smiley

-Audrey

IP Logged

freckles
Junior Poster

Moyamoya Survivor!!

Lakeland, FL
Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2009 at 2:40am

Hi!
I think a lot of times age plays a big role in recovery time as well as overall health going into the surgery. I went into surgery at the age of 16 with very little effects from my previous strokes. I was out of the hospital within the week and was at Disney (not riding anything) a month later.

I do remember it taking some time to fully recover my energy amd confidence in doing everyday tasks without injury, but it was definitely less than two months.

Again, it depends on his health going into the surgery, his age, and how he does during surgery. Also, Audrey is right, never forget that while we have a common disease, every patient is different and therefore will react differently.

Praying for your brother, hope this helped,
Jesenia

WWW moyamoyagrl moyamoyagrl  
IP Logged

Reagan
Junior Poster

Lee's summit, USA, usa, 302, 159, MO, Missouri
Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2009 at 10:42pm

Everyone is different as everyone has said. For me, I only had one side operated on and it took a good 4 weeks for me to have enough energy to cook for my family. The first 2 weeks were the roughest. However at the time I ran a daycare and I was watching all the daycare babies (4) and chasing after my own 3 kids within 5 weeks. I had some set backs with some fluid leaks, but that didn't stop my energy. So, I think it really depends on the person.

Reagan

IP Logged

Skay
Junior Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Evansdale, USA, usa, 323, 119, IA, Iowa
Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 12:05am

Hi,  I agree with freckles, that age makes a difference in how long recovey takes. I was 51 when I had my bypass. Took me sometime to even remember how to write a check. It takes work but it can be done.
I send my prayers to your brother and family.
Sharon

hotdog  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge