Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Swine Flu..nose flu spray or injection shot? (Read 5139 times)
smilesunnie
New Poster

mom of 6 yrs old MM child
(2007)

USA, usa, CA, California
Swine Flu..nose flu spray or injection shot?
Nov 9th, 2009 at 12:47pm

For those who is taking aspirin 81mg daily, does anybody got the swine flu shot?  Because my daughter(8 yrs)  is taking aspirin, the doctor said she can't use flu mist.  What if we stop the aspirin for a week, and give her flu mist like when she pull out tooth, we stop the aspirin for a several days.   Or just give her injection for safety.  I meant does anybody MM family give the children for swine flu shots?

I appreciate your reply.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2009 at 4:19pm by smilesunnie »  

IP Logged

yunnanababy
Experienced Poster

My daughter had her surgeries
in October 2009

Indianapolis, IN  USA
Re: Swine Flu..nose flu spray or injection shot?
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 3:46pm

My daughter's pediatrician recommended that she receive the H1N1 vaccine - the injection, not the mist - because having had her surgeries so recently (both in Oct 2009) she felt that her immune system may not be up to the task of fighting off the virus should she be exposed to it.  Should she manage to avoid exposure, her 8 y/o sis is another possible source of exposure.

My kids' school will be offering the vaccine later this month.  I am not convinced they should have it - there is so much conflicting information that I feel quite uncomfortable either way.

I have not yet discussed it with my DD's surgeon, but will likely base my decision on the advice we receive from her.  I will be calling her this week about this.

Jennifer

Mom to an 9.5 y/o ballerina/guitar player with MMD & an 11.5 y/o gymnast/cross country runner/swimmer!
www.caringbridge.org/visit/rubymaejingli
WWW 1422039771&ref=profile  
IP Logged

smilesunnie
New Poster

(2007)

USA, usa, CA, California
Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 4:21pm

Thank you for your info , Jennifer.  I called pediatrician and they will have injection around this week.  However, can't decide yet.

IP Logged

Gillian
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:12pm

Our daughter Polly (3 1/2) was just diagnosed with MM a couple weeks ago and in the hospital after her stroke her neuro highly recommended, kind of demanded she get the H1N1 shot in order to attempt to keep her healthy before the surgery (which will be in the next couple of weeks).  And they said shot not mist, no I'm thinking probably had to do with the aspirin.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:13pm by Gillian »  

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:31pm

My daughter and I have always gotten the seasonal flu vaccine never the mist.Myself because I have asthma and my daughter because she takes asprin. We are told to always get the injection.As for the H1N1 I would think very hard about the vaccine. I was on the fence until it hit my family.My son,Kathleen and myslef all got it(not confirmed but more assumed because of the large outbreak in our schools.the health dept just started to assume that anyone with the flu ahd H1N1. It was awful!!! The worst illness we've endured.We were all up and down for weeks.Fevers from 100-103.5 for weeks.Terrible headaches a cough that would not let us sleep, no energy to even get out of bed. It's been 4 weeks now and I still am not back 100% I have the cough and lose my energy very quickly.We were lucky that my husband didn't get this and could take care of us.Consider that fact that if this hits your family you could be dealing with this for a month or more.We lived for weeks on theraflu,tylenol,advil,robitussin,and finally nyquil so we could get a good nights sleep. We have always been very healthy and barely get a bad cold so it was a shock that this hit us so hard.I can't imagine what it could do to a person who isn't healthy to begin with.My bast advice is stay aways from anyone who seems sick with this,it's so not worth taking the risk.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

joshandmom9770
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 9:03pm

My son just got the shot and i too was very conflicted on the whole debate , i went back and forth but as he is having his surgery for the mm on November 24th and his immune system will be weaker and he will be in hospital i decided to get the shot for him, Michele

IP Logged

Christie
Junior Poster

daughter with moyamoya

Burnside IL
Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 10:55pm

My daughters Neurologist said she could have the regular flu shot but could not have the swine flu shot. Not sure why but he just said NO!

1st stroke april 2008
1st surgery Nov. 5
2nd surgery Nov. 18
Still recovering from strokes

IP Logged

yunnanababy
Experienced Poster

My daughter had her surgeries
in October 2009

Indianapolis, IN  USA
Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 9:23am

Thanks for sharing your family's experience Mary Grace.  I'm sorry you were hit so hard with this nasty virus.

The info sheet that came home from the school yesterday does indicate that anyone on long-term aspirin therapy cannot have the nasal mist (live, attenuated virus), but must have the injection instead.  Same for anyone with chronic conditions.

Mom to an 9.5 y/o ballerina/guitar player with MMD & an 11.5 y/o gymnast/cross country runner/swimmer!
www.caringbridge.org/visit/rubymaejingli
WWW 1422039771&ref=profile  
IP Logged

Lmom
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 12:01pm

Hi

Did the info say why people on long term aspirin therapy can not have the flu mist?  My daughter's pediatrician said it was fine and so we did the flu mist and now I'm thinking it was a mistake!  Nothing happened to her, but I'm annoyed my ped didn't say it could be a problem.

Thanks,
Jody

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 1:21pm

The nasal mist is a live virus so there's more of a risk of actually getting the virus. The injection is not a live virus. Getting a serious virus in combination with asprin for a child puts them at risk for Reye's syndrome.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

smilesunnie
New Poster

(2007)

USA, usa, CA, California
Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 3:50pm

Thank you so much everyone.  I just can't talk to the doctor on the phone so as soon as I visit the pediatrician today, I will update my pediatrician's suggestion.  Again, thank you...

IP Logged

smilesunnie
New Poster

(2007)

USA, usa, CA, California
Reply #11 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 12:03pm

The pediatrician said "definitely, she has to get injection, not the flu-mist. "  The problem is I can't find the place who has the injection.  They only provide the flu-mist. 

Does anyone got swine flu injection?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge