Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2010 Reunion (Read 20410 times)
elaine
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sanford, USA, usa, 465, 285, FL, Florida
2010 Reunion
Dec 30th, 2009 at 9:04pm

Is it to Early to ask if & where "OUR" 2010 Reunion Will Be ??  Cool
Just Don't wanta Wait and Not have Time to Plan It  Wink
And Of Course if there is Anything I can do to help  Smiley Just let me know  Roll Eyes

Elaine Calvert

Elaine
Elaine  
IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

Our daughter, Tara, lives
with MM

San Jose, USA, usa, 24, 158, CA, California
Re: 2010 Reunion
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2010 at 12:23pm

Yes, we're anxious to hear this year's plans, too!

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2010 at 2:03pm

Can't wait to hear where it will be! I really hope we can make it one year!
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2010 at 6:28pm

Me too!! I’m excited just thinking about it, and hoping we hear something soon enough that my family members will be able to get those dates off from work so they can go with me this time. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Mar

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Freeland, USA, usa, 51, 28, WA, Washington
Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2010 at 7:37pm

Hey Steph and DJ,
If possible, could you put a least a month between the reunion and the Stanford picnic? I'd like to do both, but need to have some time between to replenish my finances. Let me know if there is any way that I can help.
Kim

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 10:51am

Hoping for a Northeast get together!
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

twin1
Junior Poster

My 16 year old twin and
I both have MoyaMoya!!

Brookline, NH, USA,
Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2010 at 4:17pm

Northeast reunion would be good! But as long as the location is warm! warm weather is essential!!! Wink

moyamoyagirl21  
IP Logged

Mayhem
MM.com Sponsor

diagnosed 1996

Rochester, USA, NY, New_York
Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2010 at 7:21pm

I hope to attend, also. I was so jealous when my late brother was able to attend a couple of years ago.

IP Logged

elaine
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 9:17pm

Cool Any thoughts yet on the 2010 Reunion ?? Cheesy Also DJ you had mentioned @ the last one that every other year would be in Las Vegas since it was the cheapest and easy to get around  Wink I was wondering if that was still what you were thinking......
I have 3 sisters in California that come to Vegas when I'm there and a sister that lives in Vegas and that IS the Only Time I get to see them,,,,,,
Besides ::::::: I  LOVE  VEGAS !!!!!!! Kiss Kiss

Elaine
Elaine  
IP Logged

Danielle
Junior Poster

3 year old daughter with
Moyamoya disease

Michigan
Reply #9 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 11:11pm

This may be a silly question but is your reunion for anyone or only people who had there operations at Stanford with Dr. Stienberg? Also I agree Vegas would be a great place.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2010 at 11:12pm by Danielle »  

Positive thinking is key!

IP Logged

Mayhem
MM.com Sponsor

diagnosed 1996

Rochester, USA, NY, New_York
Reply #10 - Jan 24th, 2010 at 6:56pm

Danielle wrote on Jan 22nd, 2010 at 11:11pm:
This may be a silly question but is your reunion for anyone or only people who had there operations at Stanford with Dr. Stienberg? Also I agree Vegas would be a great place.
That would eliminate a lot of the East coast people, and I frankly only heard of Dr Steinberg after i had my surgeries. Back when I was diagnosed in 1996 the only docs that any searches returned were Drs Ogilvy and Scott.

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 10:04am

Every reunion or gathering that I’ve ever been a part of has been open to EVERYONE, ALL MM patients, family and friends. We're family!

IP Logged

Danielle
Junior Poster

3 year old daughter with
Moyamoya disease

Michigan
Reply #12 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 2:10pm

Thank you for the answer. We would love to come. My daughter had her surgery in Michigan. I was not trying to start any trouble. Sorry. Dani

Positive thinking is key!

IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

with MM

Reply #13 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 2:52pm

No apology necessary, Dani!  It's amazing to spend a weekend with people who have walked in the same shoes.  I was completely overwhelmed at the first gathering several years ago.  Having so many who understood what we've been through right there with us was an indescribable experience.  I hope you can make a gathering sometime!

Smiley Jill   

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

elaine
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 8:43pm

DJ  it's almost March any idea yet on the Reunion??

Elaine

Elaine
Elaine  
IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 9:19pm

We’ve been hoping for some kind of feedback since right after Christmas, and nothing yet, so I’m just gonna have to assume no reply speaks for itself.

IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Reply #16 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 7:03am

Ok folks, here are my thoughts about me organizing an "official" gathering this year:

- I've been working 10-12 hour days, 6 days a week since the first of the year to get ready for a big inspection that starts next week so I haven't had the time to even think about putting a reunion together.

- I believe the reunion needs to be in the May/June timeframe to accommodate the kids being out of school and to give folks the opportunity to take summer vacation time to join us.  However, Stanford has been scheduling their picnic during that same timeframe and I'm not willing to "compete" with that.

- I will be retiring from the military on July 1st so I will be working hard up until that time getting ready to be Mr. Johnson instead of MSgt Johnson.

- I simply don't have the funds available this year to organize an "official" gathering (see statement above).

Now with that being said...

If someone wants to plan/organize a get-together for themselves and invite all the people from moyamoya.com to attend, I think that would be great.

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get this out to you.  Life has been busy.

If anyone feels like taking on the task of organizing a meeting that you would like the moyamoya.com community to know about, please let me know.

DJ

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #17 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 4:00pm

Wow, D.J. - busy times! It must be exciting and a bit scary transitioning to civilian life. If something is put together, will you and Steph be able to cut free for a long weekend?
If was thinking that instead of competing with the Stanford picnic, we might tag onto it. I have a few ideas. We could gather someplace in the area on Friday; my favorite is Half Moon Bay. We could plan a few activites like a horseback ride on the beach, or a day in San Francisco, or a ride own the beach to Monterey, then enjoy the Stanford picnic on Saturday. Maybe dinner that evening or breakfast on Sunday morning? I'd be willing to work on the planning if someone else in the area would work with me.
Kim

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Kneeland, USA, 15, 113, C
Reply #18 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 2:57am

Kim and everyone~

Nice idea to combine the reunions.

I personally like the Stanford, Half Moon Bay, San Francisco, Monterey/Carmel (trips kayaking up Moss Landing/Elkhorn Slough -- among sea otters!) Monterey Bay Aquarium....
The west coast of out country is WAY COOL!!!!

Hope it all works out for everyone.

Happy Retirement DJ!

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #19 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 10:11am

Hey all!  As you know, I'm always up for planning a get-together in my city - Philadelphia! I would probably plan it in late June, early July...maybe even around the Welcome America Festival for the 4t as there's alway's lots going on in the city around that time (the wheels are starting to turn....!).

I think the idea of tacking on to the Stanford reunion is great as well...are non-stanford patients welcome to that reunion as well (may be a silly question) - I don't know if I would feel confortable ( but that may be all in my head, no pun intended!).

-Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #20 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 12:00pm

Hi Shari,
Last year Stanford opened the picnic to everyone with Moyamoya whether treated at Stanford or elsewhere. There was a huge turnout. Great people to visit with and share stories, the hospital staff joins in, and last year Dr. Steinberg filled us in on all of the new breakthroughs in the study of moyamoya disease. The weather is nearly always perfect and there is so much to see and do in the area - there's sure to be something to appeal to everyone; winery tours, cheese making, seal birthing, tide pools, garden nurseries, kayaking, sports fishing, whale watching, horseback riding on the beach... I was thinking that it might work well to combine the two events as many folks will be planning to attend the picnic again this year and two separate trips may be more than some can afford in this economy.

Hey Linda,
I knew I could count on you for the kayaking; I'm up for that! With that incentive, I might even be able to entice David to come along.
Kim

IP Logged

elaine
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 8:57pm

I think a Stanford Reunion Would be Great,,,, I Wanted to Attend Last year but Funds were Not avaliable But if someone Puts it together this year I Will Attend Cool Hopefully Someone Will find out if "We As A Group" Could get A Discount on Hotel/Motel accommodations It's Always Better When We All Can Stay in the Same Hotel Wink I'm getting excited thinking about Our Reunion  I Always Love Seeing Old Friends And Look Forward to Meeting New Friends Kiss

Elaine
Elaine  
IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

with MM

Reply #22 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 2:46am

Hey everyone!  It's nice to see the discussion of a gathering picking up so quickly after DJ's announcement.  Those who have attended the moyamoya.com gatherings in the past know how wonderful it is to spend a weekend with others who have walked in similar shoes. 

Stanford's picnic this year is scheduled for Saturday, May 15th, from 3:00 - 6:00 pm.  As last year, it is open to all moyamoya patients, whether or not treated at Stanford.  Last year, the Kelly family (Brenda, Bobby and Amy) came from Texas - wonderful to have them there!  Invitations were mailed to the Stanford patients this last week, and should be arriving in mailboxes soon.  Non-Stanford patients wishing to attend, please contact me at (650) 723-5575, or at macinnes@stanford.edu.  I'll be sure to get the picnic specifics and RSVP info to you!

As an alternative to not having a gathering at all, I think it's a great idea to combine the events.  Unfortunately,  I'm not able to help with the planning this year.  Between the picnic, Campbell's law school graduation the following weekend, and his preparing to take the Bar in July, my plate is very full.  Planning for a gathering in subsequent years will be another story, I just can't do it this year.

Hopefully, having the picnic date will help people to move forward with their plans, whatever they may be.  Feel free to let me know if there are any questions!

Smiley Jill

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #23 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 10:40am

Hey Jill -

So exciting to hear that Cambell is graduating!  That's really cool.  I sent an email to the address you gave asking for information.  I hope I can work it out to attend this year.  I'll start looking at flights, etc.  Thanks!

-Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #24 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 12:11pm

Hey Jil,
Congratulations to Campbell! The prize for all his hard work and sacrifice is so close. You'll have your hands full with the picnic and the graduation, so you definitely get a pass on planning this event. Will you be able to break away to join everyone at the beach?
Thank you for the picnic dates. I've been calling around gathering lodging information in and around Half Moon Bay. It's close to Stanford, yet feels far away; it should be only a thirty minute drive from there into Stanford for the Saturday afternoon picnic.

Hi Elaine,
I made a few calls the other day. Group rates are available at a number of the larger hotels. One is sending me information regarding a discount group rate. But I'll need to reserve a block of rooms.

Time is short for putting this together, so I'd need to know as soon as possible, how many are coming. I'll begin making tentative arrangements, but wait to hear if there is more interest before finalizing.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.
Kim

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge