Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
feeling very frustrated (Read 8918 times)
Christie
Junior Poster

daughter with moyamoya

Burnside IL
feeling very frustrated
Jan 4th, 2010 at 11:06pm

My daughter had her surgeries a year ago and has had 8 strokes. I realize she is high risk for about everything but it is so difficult to get anything done. When she goes to the dentist for simple fillings, they make her sign a contract and will only fill 1 tooth at a time and did i say that it took a few different dentists to get anyone to even work on her. It took 3 consults with oral surgeons to get her wisdom teeth out and a stay at the hospital. She has an injured shoulder that happened with her brain surgery and the Orthopaedic surgeon won't do surgery because of her high risk. She is in pain all the time. She is trying to get the uterine ablation but guess what, the GYN dr won't do it because of her high risk. What is happening is her Neurologist is talking to these Dr's and explaining that she is so high risk of stroke, it scares them. I have tried to talk to the Neurologist. My daughter knows that she is high risk and willing to take that risk with certain things. I am so frustrated with this Neurologist and thinking about switching. I called him once and asked if she could get 2 teeth filled at once and he chewed me out saying i was trying to put her at risk.
Anyone else have such difficulty getting anything done? I certainly don't want anything to happen to my daughter but i am exhausted just trying to help her.Seems we always come up against a wall.

1st stroke april 2008
1st surgery Nov. 5
2nd surgery Nov. 18
Still recovering from strokes

IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Re: feeling very frustrated
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 12:31pm

Christie,
I would defently get a second opinion. I would give your infromation to Dr.Stinberg's team. It sounds like alot has been building and hopefuly they can at least guide you of what needs to be done first. It can be very frusterating when you hit the wall. But you did the right thing in comming on this sight and asking for guidence. We are measured in what we do once we hit a wall. You are amazing in the fact that you are not quiting. Stay strong!
I hope this has helped,
Becky

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

Christie
Junior Poster

daughter with moyamoya

Burnside IL
Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 7:29pm

Thank You Becky!

1st stroke april 2008
1st surgery Nov. 5
2nd surgery Nov. 18

IP Logged

RobinRae
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Oshkosh,WI
Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 12:40am

Ican truly sympathize with your daughter I am also looking for answers. I need quadruple bypass surgery and I cannot find a suergeon to even the MM surgery, my options for qualified doctors in Wisconsin seem limited, my insurace will not allow me togo out of state. Cry i hope your daughter has an easier time from now on. God bless
Robin

IP Logged

Danielle
Junior Poster

3 year old daughter with
Moyamoya disease

Michigan
Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 11:03pm

Christi, I truly hope things with your daughter have gotten better. I started taking my 2 year old with MM to the dentist just for her futures sake. I have read on this board before about people with MM having problems with dental work. I am very scared for my daughters future because of her high risk. Dani

Positive thinking is key!

IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Unilateral Surgery9/04

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 10:54am

Dani,
In the beginning I talked to my neurologest about what dental work I am getting done then have him write a note clearing me to have the task done to my dentist. I have had no problems getting anything done except removing my wisdomes. I had to wait for about 2 years then my neruologest said I was ready to have that surgery. I think it has to do with your body is still healing and oral care is like haveing another (minor) surgery so there are risks involved. 

I have had no other incidences since my surgery so my neorologest has recently cleared me to have most dental works done with out a note, But everyone is diffrent.

I hope this helps,
Becky
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2010 at 10:55am by Becky »  

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 1:26am

Hi All

Christie and Robin, sorry to hear about your difficulties.

Luca's going to be reaching 'dentist age' soon and I'm just wondering where the risk comes in. Is it the anesthetic?

Mark (Luca's Dad)

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Unilateral Surgery9/04

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 12:25pm

As I understand the anesthetic and/or novicane may have a reaction that might cause your blood pressure to flucuate wich in the early stages of recover is not good. but i am not a doctor. It is better to be safe then sorry.
Becky

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 1:55am

Thanks Becky

Mark (Luca's Dad)

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

Christie
Junior Poster

daughter with moyamoya

Burnside IL
Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 12:14am

Yes, i was told that it is the anesthetic. Am thinking i was told because of the vasoconstriction it causes. Living with MMD sure isn't easy....

1st stroke april 2008
1st surgery Nov. 5
2nd surgery Nov. 18

IP Logged

sandy m
New Poster

I Love MM.com!mommy of
3 with mm

Asheboro North Carolina
Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 8:05pm

hi, i  i dont know if this will help but i had the same problem with jacob i just didnt give up i kept looking till i found a dentist who would work on him it took me a while and as far as the anesthetic there is a risk but i called dr scott he said to use lovicane instead of novicane  hope this helps

sandy maness  
IP Logged

Christie
Junior Poster

daughter with moyamoya

Burnside IL
Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 9:14pm

thank you so much, i will tell the dentist
Christie

1st stroke april 2008
1st surgery Nov. 5
2nd surgery Nov. 18

IP Logged

elaine
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sanford, USA, usa, 465, 285, FL, Florida
Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 9:34pm

My dentist won't even clean my teeth without a letter from my Dr. ( My Neurologist said dential work IS Important when U Have MM-----Something about bad teeth can cause strokes) Cry
Of course I'm not a child and need alot of work done (root canals) Undecided

Elaine
Elaine  
IP Logged

mc823923
Junior Poster

My dauaghter Annamarie
lives with mm

Baton Rouge, USA, usa, 345, 271, LA, Louisiana
Reply #13 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 8:32am

Hi Christie,

Annamarie had her surgery in April of 2008.  Last November she had all 4 wisdom teeth and an impacted eye tooth removed under general anesthesia in the hospital.  She was even allowed to continue her asperin therapy.  Hope you find some help.

Margaret

Margaret

IP Logged

Cherry (LuckyMe)
Junior Poster

Get busy on living or
get busy on dying?

Chicago, USA, IL, Illinois
Reply #14 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 11:27am

I didn't even know that I was suppose to mention my MM to the dentist. I had 7 teeth filling at one time last November without any problem.

Cherry (LuckyMe)  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge