Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ritalin/Focalin (Read 8915 times)
fierh
New Poster

Lebanon, USA, usa, 435, 173, VA, Virginia
Ritalin/Focalin
Jan 24th, 2012 at 8:46am

Has anyone been told they can not take Ritalin or Focalin for their ADD?  Does anyone know what Dr. Scott or Dr. Steinburg's(?) opinion's are concerning stimulant medications?  My ADD is really starting to interfere with my job.  Also, I am tired of house looking like crap.  Tongue When I had my surgery 15yrs ago at UVA in Charlottesville, they told me I could not take stimulant meds but I am about to go crazy!! Shocked

IP Logged

twinsmom
Experienced Poster

16 year old twins with
MM

hollis, USA, NH, New_Hampshire
Re: Ritalin/Focalin
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 1:48pm

Hi, there!!

Both of my girls have MM, and have had symptoms of ADHD following their strokes.  Both girls have been on focalin, and have tried several other stimulants and non stimulants for help with attention. We are patients of Dr. Scott's.

Our neurologist consulted with Dr. Scott before prescribing each of them, and the school nurse VERY CLOSELY monitored their BPs while they were taking them. 

The bottom line for us was that it did raise their BP's, and did not help the attention significantly, so we decided to stop the meds.  Mind you, we tried SEVERAL different meds, but it just wasn't enough difference to justify the BP risk.

Our experience was individual though - hopefully it will work better for you.  My advice, though, is clear it with your neurologist first, and keep a VERY close eye on your BP while you're taking it.

Good luck!!

"Come to the edge."   "We can't.  We're afraid."   "Come to the edge."  "We can't.  We will fall!"  "Come to the edge."  And they came.  And he pushed them.   And they flew.   by Guillaume Apollinaire

IP Logged

srkm5482
MM.com Sponsor

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sugar Land, TX
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 10:14pm

MY son's neurologist did not want Kyle to take the stimulints due to their history of stroke possibilties.  Kyle has been on STrattera for 7 yr. now, low dose (25mg 2X day).  He DID have BP issues after a couple of years and DR took him off for about a yr.  Tried focalin (considered it safer than other stim's) but we couldnt tell any help either.  eventually learned that the BP problem was related to Rt. kidney being smaller than it should be b/c of low blood flow b4 his sugeries.  so he's been on Cozaar since 2009 to regulate his BP and went back on Strattera.  This yr he asked to have dosage increased (he's now 18 and about 50 lb heavier than at start) so he takes 50mg 2 X day.
After his ADD dx's, I read that attention difficulties are common after brain injuries.
Sue

Sue (Kyle's mom)

IP Logged

fierh
New Poster

Lebanon, USA, usa, 435, 173, VA, Virginia
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 8:02pm

Thanks for the feedback.  I take straterra but can't tell much of a difference.  I did when I first started taking it though.  I take zoloft for depression and that helped with the add when I first started taking it but not now.  Cry

IP Logged

srkm5482
MM.com Sponsor

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sugar Land, TX
Reply #4 - May 9th, 2012 at 10:41pm

If you are on a low dose of the STrattera, maybe ask the Dr. about gradually increasing it.  just like with illegal drugs, our bodies/brains can adapt to the levels of legal ones and you will need more to get the benefit.  I don't like that, but.....if it helps...
best of luck to you
as a side, do you take Omega/Fish Oil? I've read that can be beneficial with attention issues as well as many other health items. (I take it primarily to relieve dry eyes)

Sue (Kyle's mom)

IP Logged

dmm
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2012 at 8:29pm

Ask your doctors before taking omega or fish oil tablets. My daughter is still on aspirin and clexane and was told not to take them as they can effect bleeding and clotting.

IP Logged

aneta
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Chicopee, MA    
Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 9:16pm

My daughter Nicole 10 yrs old had her surgeries in 09 .. She is also ADD... Her pediatrician put her on Concerta at first very low dose  with an approval for Dr. Smith ..now shes on 27 mg an doing well...

Nicole Kawasaki Disease 18 mo
Nicole diagnosed with MM 6-26-09

IP Logged

kim h
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 12:55am

fierh wrote on Jan 24th, 2012 at 8:46am:
Has anyone been told they can not take Ritalin or Focalin for their ADD?  Does anyone know what Dr. Scott or Dr. Steinburg's(?) opinion's are concerning stimulant medications?  My ADD is really starting to interfere with my job.  Also, I am tired of house looking like crap.  Tongue When I had my surgery 15yrs ago at UVA in Charlottesville, they told me I could not take stimulant meds but I am about to go crazy!! Shocked

my daughter has adhd and has been on Dexamphetamine for 12 years for it... after the strokes we tryed her without it for a few days, it was to distressing for her to cope with the world and was becoming detremenal to her health  Cry so she was put back on it, just at a lesser dose and moved time's to help her get through the day... maybe this might be something you could but to your doctors..  and could get you through your working day at least  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge