Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tongue numbness anyone? (Read 7251 times)
Twinb
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Tongue numbness anyone?
Oct 18th, 2012 at 2:15pm

Hi all, My last mm surgery was in 2007 and I've been healthy
Since then until 4 months ago. My tongue goes numb for 2
To 20 minutes. My Dr. put me on keppra thinking it could be seizures but they still persist. Has this happened to anyone else?

IP Logged

russan1959
Junior Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Palatine, USA, IL, Illinois
Re: Tongue numbness anyone?
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 10:54am

My pre-surgery symptoms included numbess of the left arm, leg and sometimes the tongue.  I still sometimes have numbness in the arm and leg post surgery but not the tongue.  This has happened sporatically all of my conscious 53 years so I sorta just write it off as just another episode. Wish you the best.
Russ

IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 9:58am

My daughter's surgery was 4 years ago and she has numbness around her mouth and in her hands.  Her doctors thought it might be seizures too.  Keppra was bad news for her she she now takes Vimpat.  She still has the symptoms even though they have increased the dosage a few times.

Destin's mom

IP Logged

Gi
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 11:05am

Yes there are times I get numbness to my tongue, it often comes w/ numbness to my nose (one side) and my finger tips.  I had surgery 16 months ago... we checked to see if possible seizures but they ruled that out.  I am not on any medication for that... I do find when I get worked up or am doing too much and not drinking enough water that I am more prone to experiencing a minute or two episode of the feeling.  I keep aware of them and note when, where, and how long they last and what I was doing when they occurred.  Maybe if you haven't yet you might note the same things to see if there is a pattern.  I have personally counted them as part of my moya moya post surgery deal... however that is because I see a small pattern and I had it checked by having another costly Cscan and MRI!  I trust you can figure it out with your doctor and find a cure...!

IP Logged

Twinb
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #4 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 3:33pm

Well there doesn't seem to be a pattern to when I get them.
But I now have a CT and a CT angio. Scheduled to try and figure out what is going on. Thanks for your input and I will
Post results soon!!

IP Logged

yunnanababy
Experienced Poster

My daughter had her surgeries
in October 2009

Indianapolis, IN  USA
Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 3:43pm

My 9.5 y/o is 3+ years post-surgeries (pial synangiosis) & for the most part is doing great.  All her scans post-surgeries have shown adequate blood supply to both sides of her brain.  She has the occasional "migraine-like" headache when she is not well hydrated (for her at 65 lbs. this is at least 64 oz. of fluid per day). 

However, in the past 8 weeks, she has had two separate episodes of tongue numbness, combined with numbness on one side of her body &/or numbness in her thumb and fingers on one side of her body.  The first episode, which also included severe headache, nausea & vomiting, landed her in the hospital, where she received both a CT Scan in the ED and later an MRI.  Both tests indicated adequate blood flow and no evidence of new stroke or TIA. 

She had a follow-up EEG a couple of weeks later to rule out seizure. We see her pedi-neurosurgeon next week to get the results, but my guess is that the doc would have contacted me by now if the test had indicated seizure activity in her brain, since it's been quite a long time since the procedure (original appt was rescheduled due to doc having an emergent case the same day we were to see her in early Jan).

Because my daughter responded well to IV fluids during the 1st episode, meaning her symptoms abated, the general thought is that she was just dehydrated.  However, I have seen her dehydrated and I really don't think that's what caused the episode.  On the other hand, there seems to be no better explanation of the symptoms. 

The 2nd episode of tongue/digit/arm numbness was not accompanied by h/a, vomiting or nausea so we did not head to the ED.  After discussing the next day with the nurse practitioner who works with my daughter's neurosurgeon, we think it was possibly caused by the stress of going back to school after a longer winter break.  I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms after a particular stressful time or incident.

I feel for all of you who face this or who experience it with your kids.

Mom to an 9.5 y/o ballerina/guitar player with MMD & an 11.5 y/o gymnast/cross country runner/swimmer!
www.caringbridge.org/visit/rubymaejingli
WWW 1422039771&ref=profile  
IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 11:28pm

They haven't been able to figure out why Destin is having the same symptoms.  they think it could be migraine related or small seizures.  We were told that unless she has a seizure while they are actually doing the EEG then it won't show on the results.  Naturally hers came back negative.  I think hers happen when she is tired or stressed too but who knows.  If they can't even tell what they are how do you figure out what causes them.

Destin's mom

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge