Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
To take daily Aspirin or not? Dazed and confused.. (Read 8440 times)
Maxwell
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

To take daily Aspirin or not? Dazed and confused..
Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:18am

I was recently diagnosed with MM and was told to take 81Milligrams (baby aspirin) once daily to avoid possible stroke from one hospital i went to.
I then went to get a second opinion on my MM surgery and the other hospital told me NOT to take the aspirin as it could cause hemmoraging.

So take it...and possibly get hemmorage in the head or don't take it and possibly get a stroke...

Im so confused...

both hospitals are top notch..(Cedar Sinai and UCLA)

Can anyone share your experience from other medical centers?

IP Logged

Amit
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: To take daily Aspirin or not? Dazed and confused..
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 10:34pm

Boston folks recommend to take the Aspirin lifelong

IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 10:06am

Btoh hospitals may be top notch but that doesn't mean they are exeprts in Moyamoya research.  Everything I've ever heard or read says to take the baby aspirin!

Destin's mom

IP Logged

pritzlm
New Poster

I Love MM.com! Mom to
Darien and 4 others

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 5:21pm

We started with an 81mg tablet per day.  Switched to buffered to clear stomach upset.  When our son started having nosebleeds everyday, the surgeon switched him to 1/2 tablet....no problems since.  LOTS of hydration and 1/2 tablet a day work for us here. Cool

IP Logged

azhurds
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 7:01pm

My daughter was diagnosed with Moya-Moya at 2 years old. Since her stroke and the diagnosis she has been on 1/2 tab of Aspirin daily for 3 years.  She has never had a side effect to being on it.  After a year of being on Aspirin I did express concern  to her neruo about the long term effects and he told me that Aspirin has been around for a long time and Aspirin is used for many things.  The chances of her having a problem are less than her being on a medicine such as and he named one of her other medications.  Also think about this the arteries in the brain are thinned out and depending on how progressed the moya-moya may not be there.  So you want the blood to run through the arteries and new vessels.  If the blood is not thin the blood can build up due to many reason (when your sick, to cold, overheated to name a few) this causes your blood in your brain to work faster and can also cause the blood to build up in the thin area and another stroke can occur.

IP Logged

Gi
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 12:08am

One of the first questions I was asked once diagnosed with MM was, if I were taking asprin.  Since I had a stroke 5 years prior I had been taking a baby asprin a day and was told to plan on taking them for life.  After the surgeries last year they upped my asprin to 325 mg a day.  I haven't noticed reactions to it, besides I am on other meds too... so kind of hard to tell.  I can only hope no long term effects, but I have been on asprin for  6 1/2 years and it seems okay.

IP Logged

Kathymc
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

massachusetts
Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 1:39am

I had the left side bypass 3 years ago and I've taken a full (regular) asprin everyday since. Doc said I'd have to take it for the rest of my life. It thins the blood just enough to help get it up to the brain. But you also have to drink ALOT of liquids each day to help.

IP Logged

srkm5482
MM.com Sponsor

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sugar Land, TX
Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2012 at 9:55pm

Our son was sent home with 1/2 baby aspirin (41.5mg) after bi-lateral surgeries at age 4. 2 yrs later, neurosurg'n said he could probably stop the aspirin if we were concerned about Reyes syndrome so we did.  about 3-4 yrs later, he started having TIA's (speech mostly) and he's been back on aspirin ever since (19 y.o. now) - still the same small dose. no problems. dr says stay at this dose unless symptoms return.  (MRI/MRA after the TIA's were normal.)

Sue (Kyle's mom)

IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 11:48am

I was told by my nurologest to eat more foods that are natural blood thinners so I would not have to take the 81mg of asprin. I love garlic and cyane (sp?) pepper and most of the other foods that are natual blood thiners so i eat some with every meal. I have had no issues.
Becky

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge