Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Follow up after Surgery (Read 7519 times)
Birdie36
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Follow up after Surgery
Dec 5th, 2012 at 1:47pm

Hello everyone,

I had my first STA-bypass and muscle graft on my right side on October 25th by Dr. Meyer at the Mayo Clinic. I had the same procedure done on the left side on Dec 3rd.  My question is how has everyone's follow up been.  I do a cerebral angiogram in one year.  Dr. Meyer said to look at everything and to make sure that the moyamoya has not progressed.  This statement has caused me a lot of anxiety.  I thought after bi-lateral surgeries I would be good to go.  Has anyone else had progression of the disease after bi-lateral surgeries.  Any information or feedback is welcomed.  Thank you in advance for replying and for any information that you can share.

Thanks,

Shelli

IP Logged

lynn
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Michigan
Re: Follow up after Surgery
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 3:05pm

Hi Shelli,
I can link a study that I think will put your mind at ease.  It is sort of long (nine pages) but worth it, I think.  There are always those who make the statistics of success less than 100%, but reading this study shows that it is few who have problems past the first days and weeks. 

We have learned to say, "Better safe than sorry" where follow-up testing is concerned.

Here's the link:  http://neurosurgery.stanford.edu/moyamoya/20094.pdf

IP Logged

Birdie36
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 10:32am

So I did read this research article, but not sure that I totally understand it to be honest.  Has anyone had progression of moyamoya after two bypass surgeries?

IP Logged

lynn
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Michigan
Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2012 at 5:42pm

Here is a copy and paste of what I found:

99% of the bypasses were patent. The
few occluded direct STA grafts were noted to have formed
indirect collaterals supplying the territory at risk.

Is that helpful?

IP Logged

Birdie36
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 8:51pm

That does help, a lot, thank you for taking the time to find that and respond!!  I am trying to be positive now that everything works as it should and I can enjoy a nice long life with my family!  Thanks again.  I hope you have a wonderful holiday season:)

IP Logged

lynn
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Michigan
Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2012 at 3:35pm

I'm glad it helped you to feel more confident in your future.  Diagnosis and surgery are so traumatic and worrisome, it has to be hard to have the confidence to let those feelings go.

IP Logged

Holly
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 10:26pm

Its been almost 9 years since my two sta-mca bypass surgeries. I used to have yearly follow up appointments but after year 5 and everything being great my surgeon dr. steinberg said he didn't want to see me back for at least 7 years. It is normal to have follow up testing done after the procedure to make sure the graft is open and flowing and that there is no further progression. I have not personally heard from anyone about there moyamoya progressing after treatment but we have been warned its possible.

On a lighter note, i don't know if you've seen my recent post entitled Moyamoya care packages. But i will tell you a bit about it just in case. I am a senior in high-school this year and at my school we are required to design and complete a senior project that will benefit a community. I chose to make care packages for people with moyamoya disease, at or near the time of their surgeries.
If it is all right with you, i would love to make you a care package. Nothing is required of you besides a couple minutes and some answers to a few questions to help me personalize the care package. If you are okay with this please let me know, so i can contact you with some more questions. Smiley

Also for anyone else reading if you have had your surgery in the last year or are having it anytime soon pleaseeee don't hesitate to say something to me. i would love to make care packages for as many fellow moyamoya patients as possible!

Much love and and wishing you a continued speedy and healthy recovery with clear and safe post op results in the future. Smiley 
Smiley

IP Logged

Birdie36
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 11:12pm

Sorry for the late response, but I would love a care package.  You can send me a message or let me know what info you need.  Thank you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge