Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First my brother, then me, and now my cousin (Read 3560 times)
Mayhem
MM.com Sponsor

diagnosed 1996

Rochester, USA, NY, New_York
First my brother, then me, and now my cousin
Dec 15th, 2012 at 10:53am

My cousin in Italy has just been diagnosed with Moyamoya. I am getting together my medical records to send there, as her docs are at a loss for what to do. Her mother is a sister of my mom, and her father is a brother of my dad, so genetically we're more similar than most cousins.

IP Logged

lotsofkids
MM.com Benefactor

Moyamoya...Oh boya boya!

Akron, USA, usa, 421, 123, OH, Ohio
Re: First my brother, then me, and now my cousin
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 9:22pm

there is a genetic study going on with Stanford and the University of Texas. I happened to test positive....so I am actively following this. They will want a complete history of your family and can (spit test) them to see if they too, carry the gene. The gene does NOT cause MM, but it is linked to Vascular disorders and presents many times in Heart diseases (ie...vascular) My father's family had a long history of heart problems and he passed the genetic code to me and I ended up with MM! My uncle tested positive, but has had no health issues. From my 5 kids, only my teenaged twins are carrying the gene...so we will watch them and if they ever have issues, take those issues much more seriously.

Sorry that you seem to have more MM in your family than most.

Best regards, Diane

Hmmm....seems I'm kinda "special" LOL

IP Logged

april18_81
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 7:22pm

hello Diane,

I have mm & want to start family planning, but I am nervous I could possibly pass this on to my future children.  can you tell me what the spit test is called?  would I just ask for vascular disorder test?

thank you!

IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 8:49pm

April,

Only a couple of physicians/institutions in the country are doing genetic research in the US.  Dr. Dianna Milewicz spoke at the 2012 Moyamoya.com Gathering and you can see the video of her presentation here:

http://www.moyamoya.com/videos.html

Hope this helps some,

DJ

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge