Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fibromuscular Dysplasia (FMD) (Read 4706 times)
mattsmom
Junior Poster

My son, Matthew, has moyamoya.

Albuquerque, USA, usa, 180, 215, NM, New_Mexico
Fibromuscular Dysplasia (FMD)
Feb 5th, 2013 at 3:58pm

I am curious if anyone was ever diagnosed with FMD (artery stenosis) before moyamoya.  While I know my son has moyamoya (they saw the moyamoya vessels), a contact of mine has recently had a daughter diagnosed with FMD.

Her daughter has the same complaints my son had before surgery.  First, a full blown stroke. Second, my son would have "dizzy spells" where he would fall & act like it was hard to walk. My son was 7 at the time. My contact's daughter is 12 and complains of weakness in her legs & feels like she is going to pass out. Anyone else have these complaints?

It seems to me, not being a doctor, that moyamoya could present as FMD before the actual moyamoya vessels have a chance to grow.

Here's the other kicker . . . a LOT of FMD patients have it affecting their renal arteries. That was a shock to me because my son is also considered to have had the moyamoya affect his renal artery. I have read where this isn't unheard of -- just rare. It really got me to thinking . . .

Kimber -- mom to Matthew, 20, 3 strokes at 7 due to moyamoya & single left kidney to renal artery stenosis AND a broken collarbone in TWO places due to snowboarding (with a helmet, of course).

ksanchezs  
IP Logged

Kelley
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Atlanta, GA
Re: Fibromuscular Dysplasia (FMD)
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 9:36am

Hey.  Our son Gray was originally diagnosed with FMD at two and a half when they found his renal artery stenosis.  He went on to a full moyamoya dx later that year (after a stroke) and had surgery with Dr. Scott. One doctor told me that FMD could cause moyamoya.  I have also heard that the renal artery stenosis could be the body's attempt to increase blood pressure in moyamoya patients to get blood to the brain.  In any event, Gray still takes blood pressure medicine, but his RAS does not appear to have gotten worse over the last couple of years. 
Interesting connections nonetheless.

Kelley, mom to Gray, dob 10/8/07, moyamoya and renal artery stenosis.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge