Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Surgery coming up. (Read 7846 times)
Robill
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Surgery coming up.
Feb 13th, 2013 at 11:52am

Hi everyone, the ball is rolling pretty quick, finally spoke with Teresa in Dr. Steinbergs office, I do need surgery and it will happen in the next 2-3 weeks, am just waiting for scheduling.  For some reason, without thinking, I assumed they would do both sides at the same time, well NOPE!  I will have the left done first, then a week later the right.  I'll be in California about 3 weeks, Ive been wanting a vacation....guess I'm gonna get it...... Grin There are so many positive stories on here, so I'm only a little nervous right now. Best part of all of this.....they are not going to shave my head....woo hoo.  I finally got mad last week, and had a little pity party with the why me's? It was short lived, now just looking forward and trying to make sure everything is order for our adventure!  Tongue
Thanks for listening!  Cheesy
-Laura

IP Logged

Robert
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Surgery coming up.
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 2:05pm

Everyone on here will give encouraging comments! The best is to be positive, make the most of what you got. In June I will be following you with my son Benjamin for his surgery. Hope all goes well, please let us know as soon as you can how things went.

Robert Britton in OKC.

IP Logged

pritzlm
New Poster

I Love MM.com! Mom to
Darien and 4 others

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 5:10pm

Good Luck!  Yes, let us know how things go!

IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:20pm

hi Laura,  my daughter didn't have her surgery with Dr. Steinberg but every one loves him.  My daughters surgeon worked with Dr. Steinberg at some point. He didn't shave her head either. He said studies showed that shaving the head did not cut down on infections.  when she went back to school no one knew whe had had surgery...that can be a blessing and a curse.

Destin's mom

IP Logged

Amit
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 1:48pm

Laura, you are in the best hands that could have been possible in this planet.. Stay strong, have faith.. and be positive. Our prayers are with you! God bless you!
Amit

IP Logged

Robill
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 2:16pm

Thanks everyone, I think I'm just in survival mode, trying to get everything together to go to a new city, new hospital, I don't even know where were supposed to go for anything. We will be gone for almost a month, lots to think about. What's getting to me, is how hard this is for my family and how scared they are  Cry, but on a positive note, it shows me how much I'm loved! Grin
I've read so many positive things about Dr. Steinberg and his crew and so many stories of happy endings, I GOT THIS!
Thanks so much!  Happy thoughts!
CheesyLaura

IP Logged

MomOfHaleigh
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

New Orleans, La.
Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 12:34am

Laura, if it wasn't for this site, I can't imagine where I would be right now. My 7 year old daughter, Haleigh was diagnosed on July 10, 2012.  She was a healthy child who up until she was diagnosed, only dealt with your typical common cold.  What made us take her to the doctor was a tic she developed, which we found out after the diagnosis was a result from one of the strokes ... she had 5 strokes and according to the Neurosurgeon down here, several TIA's.  We flew to Boston a month and a half later for her to have surgery.  As a parent, it was the scariest moment and just like your concerns, we had all of the same worries.  It's amazing how much inner strength came out that we didn't realize we had to get us through things we never thought we would be dealing with and the support on here has definitely helped!! 

Good luck and just know that you are not alone!!!  I am keeping you in my prayers!!!!

Michelle

IP Logged

Robill
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 7:55pm

Michelle, this site has been an incredible source of comfort and strength for me, everyone really does know how I'm feeling!!!  I have all the confidence in Dr. Steinberg, and his staff, God has blessed me by letting me find this site which led me to him. 

Can anyone tell me how long it is until your family gets to see you after surgery.  It's going to be way worse on them with the waiting.....I'm gonna be off in lala land!

Thanks, Laura

IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 8:03pm

I don't remember it being terribly long after surgery before I got to see my daughter.  I will tell you one thing I wish I had known.  No one told me her eye would swell up right after surgery. It happened pretty fast and it swelled shut. I was scared to death...but it's normal.  Just wish someone had told me, so be sure to tell your family.  Smiley

Destin's mom

IP Logged

momkaren
Experienced Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 9:45pm

Best of luck to you Laura! My 13 yr old son was diagnosed in 2011 and had his surgery (both sides) done in Boston.

We were able to see him very shortly after surgery, once he was settled in ICU. Don't know if this goes for everyone, but his whole head was swollen.... a lot and both eyes swollen shut! This scared me so much, but as each day passed the swelling went down.

I will say a prayer for you and that all goes well!

IP Logged

Robill
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 10:56am

Whoa!!! Thanks for the warnings about the eyes and face, something I did not know Undecided I will be sure to warn them, I guess since I'm doing the surgeries a week apart, my face will be one big ole puff ball  Wink hopefully they let me back on the airplane...... Smiley

Thanks again!!!!
Grin Laura

IP Logged

Cherry (LuckyMe)
Junior Poster

Get busy on living or
get busy on dying?

Chicago, USA, IL, Illinois
Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 12:28pm

Good Luck Laura, you are in good hand, don't worry. And the eye swelling, it doesn't happen to everybody, I didn't have any! doesn't it make you feel better?

Cherry (LuckyMe)  
IP Logged

pritzlm
New Poster

I Love MM.com! Mom to
Darien and 4 others

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 9:47pm

Good Luck on your surgery!  We got to see our son in the hallway as he was wheeled from surgery to Peds ICU.  He asked me "what happened?"  Best words I'd heard in a long time. Smiley  He had no swelling on either eye.   You will be strong and roll with what comes your way! Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge