Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
? Diagnosing children (Read 2695 times)
bnl1901
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

? Diagnosing children
Mar 3rd, 2013 at 1:24pm

I was diagnosis with MM and had a successful bypass. A friend of mine mentioned my children's symptoms, which led me to wonder about further testing for them.

My son: currently 9 yrs old. He was diagnosed at age 3 with autism and age 7 with Tourette's. Today, medication free for over a year, almost all of his autism and Tourette's symptoms are resolved. He still has the occasional tic (arm and leg twitching) but rarely vocal issues any more. He does complain a few times a week of his hand, fingers or arm being numb, but that eventually resolves.  Is it possible that he too has MM and was misdiagnosed with Autism and Tourette's?

My daughter: currently 11 years old. I have seen her tic from time to time, but not nearly like her brother. For the last few years she's complained of severe headaches a few times a week. Her pediatrician said it was likely puberty related, but sent her to an ENT just in case (she's also had a lot of nose bleeds). ENT said nothing to worry about.

Knowing now that I have MM, is it possible that my kids' symptoms could be moyamoya related?

IP Logged

lynn
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Michigan
Re: ? Diagnosing children
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 9:35am

I'm sorry for your worries.  My teenaged son had surgery almost two years ago at Stanford.  His neurologist and pediatrician both told me that if I ever have worries about any of my other kids they would order the necessary testing for them.  If any of my kids were having the symptoms you describe, I would ask for an MRA for each of them.  The only way to know is through imaging or to wait for a stroke. 

I hope your kids do not have moyamoya, but if they do, I hope you find out soon enough to prevent permanent damage.

IP Logged

russan1959
Junior Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Palatine, USA, IL, Illinois
Re: ? Diagnosing children
Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 11:47am

Hello, My daughter and I both have Moya Moya. We both had numbness of the arm and leg. I suffer from debilitating Migraine headaches. The numbeness of the arm and leg were brought on by hyperventilation. eg. Playing the clarinet, blowing up a balloon, crying. It may be good to have your children tested if they have symptoms. Hope all goes well for you and your family. Russ

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge