Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Please advise on headache meds. Advil or Midrin, (Read 7426 times)
ladybug3
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Please advise on headache meds. Advil or Midrin,
Apr 4th, 2013 at 7:57pm

A doctor gave me some tips on how to get rid of my headaches and some medications to take. I was told I could take a Midrin type medication or another form to combat the headaches.

In the past I was always told to shy away from things such as acetaminophen (which happens to be in midrin) and things like Tyelonol or Advil. Do any of you take these medications for your headaches and what have your doctors told you about taking them? I'm afraid to take anything that causes my blood vessels to get any smaller than they already are. I already have limited blood flow even after surgery almost 7 years out.

What would you do? I'm trying to call a neurosurgeon and other doctor to confirm because these doctors are all new and so I'm not sure if they understood how important it is for them to know what they are giving me.

If you could please advise or please help I would be so happy. I currently have a migraine and I can't take anything because my stomach is a mess from NSAIDs and I'm afraid of taking the drowsy headache medications that make my blood vessels smaller because in the past any antihistamines or other drugs I took that made me drowsy also made me feel like I had a TIA.

IP Logged

moyakrp
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Please advise on headache meds. Advil or Midrin,
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 11:56am

We were always told by our daughter's hematologist, that if you are on a aspirin regime that you should not take anything with ibuprofen (like Advil or Motrin).  only take Tylenol for fever or pain.  He also warned us to stay away from any cough medicines that can restrict blood flow.

hope this helps.

IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 12:32pm

Destin takes Aleve and she also has a prescription she takes.  When she gets one she can't shake she will go to the headache clinic and have IV therapy.  she has also had botox and has used accupuncture with some success.

Destin's mom

IP Logged

pritzlm
New Poster

I Love MM.com! Mom to
Darien and 4 others

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 5:25pm

Our son has a sensitive stomach too.  If he has a bad headache our neurologist said we should give him Tylenol.  He said we should try to avoid ibuprofen.

IP Logged

Kathymc
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

massachusetts
Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 3:42pm

I was also told to take Tyelnol.

IP Logged

ladybug3
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 5:28pm

Okay. Thanks for the tips and information. I have the prescriptions but still a bit weary of taking them. I really do not like anything that makes me drowsy because the combination of the blood vessels narrowing and the drowsy makes me feel very nauseous. Haven't taken any drowsy meds since the last time a friend accidentally administered an antihistamine and that caused all kinds of problems.

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 10:44am

We were never told not to take Advil at all just to not take it on a regular basis because it would interfere with the asprin.  I've given this to Kathleen for period pain which gets really bad. Now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't give it to her at all??? I would try something else but it's difficult to find meds that specify Gluten free.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge