Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Keep Away From Monosodium Glutamate (Read 4397 times)
leemyd
New Poster

Daughter: STA-MCA Bypass
at age of 9 in 2007

Herndon, USA, VA, Virginia
Keep Away From Monosodium Glutamate
May 10th, 2013 at 12:38pm

Perhaps this has been discussed on this board already but I wanted to share my daughter's experience with monosodium glutamate (MSG).  We have no doubt that the manmade version that is so prevalent in Chinese, Korean, Japanese, fast foods, cured meats, and snacks have a noticeable impact to my daughter's well being.  It only takes a couple of minutes for my daughter to experience headaches, nausea, and in severe cases, paralysis.  For the past 4 years since my daughter's surgeries, we have been monitoring, isolating, and even testing to confirm this.  Our recommendation is to keep away from the chemical if you or your loved ones have Moyamoya.  Some studies confirm that this substance constricts the vessels, which obviously is not good for MM patients. 

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2013 at 12:41pm by leemyd »  

IP Logged

ladybug3
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Keep Away From Monosodium Glutamate
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2013 at 6:58pm

Whoa!  I second this one!! I started to go gluten free because of weird mental and digestive health, but the other day I ate pho (vietnamese noodle soup)...I started to have awful stomach problems and the worst headache and dehydration. I'm not sure if there was gluten but the waiter did say they put in a fair amount of msg.... For the next 2 days I was in bad shape!  I'm fairly certain msg can cause pretty bad things to happen so be careful!  If the fish sauce in my soup wasn't made from gluten, I'm certain it's msg.

How do you eat asian food without msg at restaurants?

IP Logged

leemyd
New Poster

Daughter: STA-MCA Bypass
at age of 9 in 2007

Herndon, USA, VA, Virginia
Re: Keep Away From Monosodium Glutamate
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2013 at 4:59am

It's actually very frustrating because many are not honest or don't know about it, even if you tell them that your daughter is allergic to it.  Many hide it by using spices such as "Dashida" which is more than half MSG combined with other spices.  Note that all fast foods, especially anything breaded and sauced has MSG.  Popeyes and KFC is full of MSG.  Doritos, Cheetos and most flavored snacks have MSG.  Also, most cold cuts, sausages, beef and chicken stock, canned soups, and most processed foods have MSG.  Before we eat out, we always check the website or ask the chef or manager.  We buy mostly organic and we buy our meat from a local farm.  The bright side of this is that the food tastes much better, whole family eats healthier and we've all improved our cooking since we refrain from eating out.   My daughter has not had fast food since her surgery except for occasional IN-n-OUT Burger when we're in the west coast and Five Guys in the DC area.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge