Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Swim Goggles and Pressure Around Incision Area (Read 5979 times)
Steve
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Fremont, CA
Swim Goggles and Pressure Around Incision Area
Aug 6th, 2013 at 1:40pm

My 8 year old daughter had her surgery a couple of weeks ago.  She wears glasses and we had them adjusted to not put pressure on her incision area.  I was wondering about using swim goggles (and a snorkeling mask for our vacation) and whether we have to be concerned about pressure around the incision area.  Has anyone had problems using swim goggles after their surgery?  How long should we wait before trying to use swim goggles?
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2013 at 1:40pm by Steve »  

IP Logged

momkaren
Experienced Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Swim Goggles and Pressure Around Incision Area
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2013 at 12:32am

My son had surgery in 2011 and his glasses also had to be adjusted for quite a while, a couple of months actually. . Swim goggles fit pretty tight so i would be concerned about my child wearing them. My sons head may not have looked swollen, but it still was for a month or two (if not more) after surgery. I would contact her surgeon with these questions just to be safe. Have a great vacation!

IP Logged

Kathymc
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

massachusetts
Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 12:12am

Not being a child but an adult when I had the bypass on my left side. I went 6 months with out the arm on the left side of my glasses, and was told not to put pressure or lay on that side. It is more for the fact that if you apply pressure to the bypassed new vein you could cut of the blood supply and actually stop the vein from doing its job of helping to not only bring blood to the area but help build new vessels off that transplanted vein.

Talk to your surgeon before you do anything. He or she may even say that your child cannot swim yet.

IP Logged

Steve
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Fremont, CA
Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 11:55am

The surgeon said she will be able to snorkel 1 month after surgery.  We asked many times and he said the same thing.  We're obviously still concerned.  That's why we are asking if any others had any experience with this.

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2013 at 8:55am

Hi Steve

Luca had surgery at 1 and is now 5. She's been swimming with goggles for about 3 years without issue. We are, however, very conscious of the pressure it might be exerting on her surgery sight and try to make them as loose as possible. In your case, it's very soon after surgery and I personally wouldn't exert any unnecessary pressure in the area for a while still.

Cheers
Mark (Luca's Dad)

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge