Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New diagnosis for my 11 year-old daughter (Read 4274 times)
Cari
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

New diagnosis for my 11 year-old daughter
Nov 21st, 2013 at 4:46pm

Hi! My daughter had a routine MRI of the brain that showed Moyamoya. She has severe cognitive delays and is non-verbal. I'm not sure if we would even know if she was having headaches or if she had a TIA because of her cognitive delays. The neurosurgery clinic does not have any appointment for 2 months and they seem fine with her waiting until then to be seen either to discuss treatment or perform any other diagnostic testing to confirm diagnosis. This does not seem right to me. I was under the impression that this diagnosis required immediate attention to reduce the risk of stroke.

I would really appreciate thoughts or advice on this!

Thank you!
Cari

IP Logged

momkaren
Experienced Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: New diagnosis for my 11 year-old daughter
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 10:18pm

Hi Cari,

Years ago my son's pediatrician wanted an MRI of his brain, for no particular reason, and me and my husband said no. My son is 14 now, he has Down Syndrome and Autism also non verbal.  In April of 2011 he suffered a major stroke and was diagnosed with Moyamoya disease. During testing they also told us he had suffered 5 "silent" strokes but couldn't  tell us when they were or how long he had Moyamoya disease. In all of his 14 yrs, he has never indicated in any way that he is sick. Sadly, it's always a guessing game!

If i were you, I would ask her pediatrician to get her an appt with neurology ASAP. Did they tell you how advanced the Moyamoya disease is? I would be scared to death to wait. It is a progressive disease, and with her not being able to tell you anything means this really needs to be watched closely. Is there any where else you can go to?

We live in Philadelphia, PA, but had our son's surgery done at the Children's Hospital of Boston. We were not happy with the Children's Hospital in our area and had all of his records sent to Boston and he needed surgery quickly.

Best of luck to you and your daughter!

IP Logged

lostinkansas
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 9:18pm

One alternative would be to contact Dr. Steinberg's office and ask if they will look at your child's films to see if they feel it is safe to wait.  I overnighted my films to them with the request for an evaluation of the imminency of stroke.  They got back with me soon thereafter and told me a major stroke was imminent. 

But you should ask for an MR-A (not just an MRI) and perhaps a CT Angiogram.

Never ever settle for the apathy of doctors.  Never.  I did and it almost cost me paralysis or death.  It can't hurt to reach out for help.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2013 at 9:20pm by lostinkansas »  

IP Logged

Cari
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2013 at 1:50pm

Thank you, thank you for your responses! My pediatrician was not happy with waiting until the end of January and we now have an appointment with Dr. Smith on the 19th (Boston Children's).

MomKaren, the doctor that diagnosed the Moyamoya told me that they see this with children that have Down Syndrome but not with my daughter's disease (MPSIIIA) but I wonder if conditions in the brain make it more likely--it is hard to imagine that she has 2 rare diseases that aren't related! I am concerned that she may have had TIAs that we did not diagnose because she never complains about anything and is non-verbal. I can totally relate to the feeling that she is a constant puzzle keeping us guessing!

Thank you again for the responses!

IP Logged

lostinkansas
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2013 at 10:57am

I am so very glad that you won't have to wait!   

Apparently moyamoya often accompanies another condition I wouldn't be surprise if there turns out to be a connection with your daughter's other condition.  I hope some day they will find the cause (or causes) of moyamoya.  But I guess we are lucky that at least there are some doctors that at least know about it, and some very skilled doctors that can actually help!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge