Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moya Moya and Anxiety (Read 9139 times)
alysonsuj
New Poster

Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Moya Moya and Anxiety
Feb 19th, 2014 at 1:31pm

Hi all:

I was diagnosed with MMD in 2001 and had bilateral EDAS.  Return of symptoms Summer 2012, and after evaluation it was determined I should have STA-MCA bypass on the left side in October 2012.  I also suffer from anxiety and depression.

I have been experiencing sporadic numbness on the left side, intense headaches, and "squiggles" in my vision.  I notice it is more prominent around my menstrual period.  In the past, these symptoms would have sent me to the ER.  However, every time a CT/MRI is completed the results turn out fine.  The ER docs here frequently make me feel embarrassed and ashamed, saying that "the mind is a powerful thing" and that all my symptoms are anxiety related.

In any case, I have not sought medical care at this juncture.  I was thinking of contacting my MMD surgeon in Cinci (I live in Ypsilanti, MI) but fear constantly crying wolf.  Have any of you experienced similar, anxious symptoms that mimic your TIA experiences?  I'm feeling a little lost.

Thanks!

Aly

IP Logged

Heath
New Poster

slate

Richardson, Texas
Re: Moya Moya and Anxiety
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 11:20am

sorry to hear you are experiencing such disregard at your ER.  We occasionally experienced similar issues with certain staff and physicians, being ignorant of moyamoya (and pediatric stroke in general), trying a similar thing with our son.  I had to be quite assertive at times.  Fortunately, there were more often people who didn't act this way.

I encourage you to refuse to let anyone embarrass you, and seek advice and consultation from a neurologist who will listen and respond.  You know your base point best, and if something feels off, I encourage you to follow up with a good physician.

best of luck

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2014 at 11:21am by Heath »  

'we are all born with a hint of madness--we mustn't lose it'--robin williams

IP Logged

JMAC
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 9:22pm

I have also had surgery for right sided moyamoya and often when I am tired I experience my TIA symptoms with extreme fatigue.  I have actually gone to the ER and been admitted only to find out the scan is fine.  I had two strokes prior to my moyamoya surgery and am told that the symptoms come from the old strokes when I am fatigue.  My feeling they really don't know my feeling is that it is happening to me and is often compromises me from being completely engaged each day.

IP Logged

willowz
New Poster

Hope Springs Eternal

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 7:13pm

Anxiety can cause odd symptoms. Have you ever tried acupuncture? Sometimes when I've been puzzled over something like you describe, I get insight from acupuncture. I was having trouble swallowing, and during acupuncture had an image of my throat expanding and I realized I was constricting my own throat (anxiety). It didn't immediately solve the problem, but over time, I got myself to stop doing it. Not saying that your problems are from anxiety, but might be work checking out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge