Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yearly update (Read 1943 times)
Astrea
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Yearly update
Jul 1st, 2014 at 8:01pm

So, once a year I come back here and update my situation.

My moyamoya was found completely by accident.  I was and am completely asymptomatic.  I had an MRI due to severe vertigo during allergy season in 2011 and discovered the moyamoya. 

Stanford was recommending surgery immediately.  I was lucky enough to get a consult with Dr Michael Scott at Children's Hospital Boston even though I was 40.  He recommended a wait and see approach and put me in touch with Dr Rose Du who is my neurosurgeon (whom I love).

We have been monitoring my occlusion every 6 months by CT.  After 3 stable (no change) tests, we switched to MRI and it appeared there was progression.  We double checked by CT and discovered it was just the difference in the technologies.

So, 3 years, no change.  The dr now thinks that I have had this for a long time and that my body has just adapated around it.  As long as I'm asymptomatic, we are continuing to monitor yearly now but will not take any action.

Coincidentally, I met a new work colleague recently whose husband has the same situation - condition found by accident, no symptoms, wait and see approach.

So, that's the update.  Hope all here are finding the answers they need.

Jill

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge